Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Paul Prenter "Sun" articles

forum rss feed
Author

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 486 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Prenter's nephew is married to a friend of mine, and he's only about 40 so he largely missed the drama, since he would only have been 10 or 11 when Prenter died. The family are publicly protective of Paul Prenter, of course, because let's face it, it's embarrassing to have a family member's name dragged through the dirt irregardless of what actually happened. However, he did apparently cause a lot of upset in the family, and turned his back on the family when he became involved with Queen and Elton John.

What I don't know is what triggered that. There was clearly a breakdown in communications in the family, that might have been to do with him coming out, or it might have been something else. Whatever happened, Paul Prenter was clearly quite broken inside - which is not an excuse for bad behaviour but it does shed light on it. If you add to that some drug fuelled parties, lots of alcohol, lots of sex, and the potential to make a lot of money, it's probably quite a toxic mix.

I don't know anything about whether his family were supportive of him at the time of his death, if there was any reconciliation, or whatever. I do know that there is a bit of embarrassment in the family over the Bohemian Rhapsody film, and that they realise that Prenter has been painted in a fairly accurate light.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Miraclesteinway, thank you for your post!

MisterCosmicc user not visiting Queenzone.com
MisterCosmicc
Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RussiaLand wrote:

MisterCosmicc wrote:

I heard Paul would meet random guys in bars and tell them he wanted to make babies with them.

MisterCosmicc, where have you read this? I'd be interested in reading about Paul, as there is very little information about him and I'm trying to understand what kind of person he was.

It's no secret.

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 486 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 19, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be fair to Paul, if he'd said to guys he was sexually attracted to that he wanted to make babies with them or breed them, he wasn't saying anything that controversial for the time. Even today that kind of language is used on the gay scene in certain circles.

MisterCosmicc

Posted: 25 Jun 19, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kinda strange.

HelloDelilah user not visiting Queenzone.com
HelloDelilah
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 19, 23:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone, for what it's worth, here's the story in the Daily Mail defending Paul Prenter by his family:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6787355/Family-Queen-manager-hit-portrayal-Oscar-winning-movie.html

Since it's from the Daily Mail, not sure how reliable this story is. Those from the UK may know.

I'm unclear whether Prenter was Freddie's personal assistant or Queen's band manager as they use the terms interchangable. I thought Paul was his personal assistant and Bill Reid was the band manager. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

MisterCosmicc

Posted: 07 Jul 19, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul was Queen’s personal day to day manager. Bill Reid was Freddie’s ex lover.

Queen also had Bill Reid as a lightning technician on The Game tour, I just read. Same Bill? Is that how they met?

HelloDelilah user not visiting Queenzone.com
HelloDelilah
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 08 Jul 19, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks MisterCosmicc. I meant John Reid, not Bill Reid, who was the Queen's manager.

Belisha user not visiting Queenzone.com
Belisha
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 19, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Reid was Queen's manager. John and Freddie were never lovers. Paul and Freddie were.

mariah carey user is on Queenzone.com
mariah carey
Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 19, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Belisha wrote:

John Reid was Queen's manager. John and Freddie were never lovers. Paul and Freddie were.

Paul Prenter and Freddie weren't lovers though, they were friends

MisterCosmicc

Posted: 12 Jul 19, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Correct. Paul wasn’t Freddie’s lover. The movie didn’t say they were either. Dumb reviewers on the movie thought so and published they were.