Forums > Fan mixes > QUEEN: EXPANDED COLLECTION (CMI Music)

forum rss feed
Author

cmi user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmi
Royalty: 1171 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Feb 18, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, indeed. And I'm really glad about it. HOT SPACE is a very special album for me.

Hopefully sometime in the future each album will be presented with CD2 of such additional material...

Suneku user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 18, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why didn't you include the remix of Ogre Battle in Queen II?

cmi

Posted: 26 Feb 18, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of all I don't bother about the third party remixes which feature additional recordings made not by Queen. Actually this remix was under consideration but was dropped in the end as there are too many versions of this song for EXTRA TRACKS feature. There nothing new in this remix... It would be really great if there was a remix truthful to the original with restored originally recorded intro. But it's not.

seagull user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 18, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMI, why is Hot Space a special album for you?

With your collections I’m finding it isn’t necessarily my fave Queen albums that I enjoy the most as an expanded version. That’s because if an album is your fave, it doesn’t mean the remixes or studio versions make it any better.

For example, The Miracle was never one of my fave Queen releases. However, if you expanded releases - The Miracle has become refreshing and new. That’s partly to to do with tracks that I had never heard in such high quality (eg Stealin full length). Thank you.

Hot Space has unfortunately been bagged by a lot of fans. I can understand it’s not what fans wanted at the time etc. However, I think it has a lot to offer.

I hope your Hot Space release gives fans the opportunity to leave their preconceptions behind, and give the era a fresh set of ears.

I'm a long time queen fan from back in the late 70's.

Favourite albums are Queen II and Blue Rock.

Cheers to everyone from Melbourne, Aus.
Wronschien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 18, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space is the album I was most awaiting in this series, can't wait !

martin S user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 18, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks CMI for yet another gem. Really appreciate your hard work and dedication.

I still hope that after the Queen Albums are through we might get a Roger Taylor expanded collection. Especially as Happiness?! is one of my favorite records from Rog.

cheers

jerome.wuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 18, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just listened to Flash Gordon expanded edition, feels exactly like what seagulls mentioned when talking about the miracle: flash was never my fave release but this expanded edition is making it fresh again. Thanks!!!

cmi

Posted: 28 Feb 18, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

seagull
Actually all Queen albums are favourites for me in one way or another. So there's no thought 'Dammit, I need to spend 2 months on this bloody record I never liked...'.
I regularily listen to each album in full and I'm glad I still enjoy them after all these 25 years...

HOT SPACE is something special for me as I remember it being played by my father when I was about 6 years old, actually about 5 years before I became a Queen fan.:)
'Body Language' is the track I remember very well probably because it was very unusual...

Also I enjoy all experimental albums by my favourite artists and HOT SPACE is one of them.

And it's great to understand that this underrated album actually has a lot of fans.

martin S
I have plans to make EXPANDED COLLECTIONS of all major Queen solo projects.

jerome.wuzz
I'm very excited about the fact that this EXPANDED COLLECTION project makes the music fresh and changes the attitude to particular album for a lot of people.
I think it's the main aim which should be achieved by all official products. NOT the money grab, which unfortunately is the aim of QPL with all its effortless amateurish products.

moonhead79 user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonhead79
Bohemian: 122 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 18, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We should make a sort of petition to QP just to hire CMI, Chef Mouse and few other great guys of QZ for the next official projects. :)

Listening Queen is not an hobby. Is a faith.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20975 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 18, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

Taiyo Yuden were touted as being THE best disc you could buy - and you paid handsomely for it!
That's probably why they ceased production: people were less and less willing to pay the higher price.

Yep - the Japanese made ones were far superior. You could even look at the disc and see the difference. The difference between Japanese made and Korean made Memorex was night and day.

But naturally most people didn't know the difference, so the good media became harder and harder to find.

Thank goodness for 5 Tb hard drives. It's all a thing of the past now. I don't even want to think of the time and money spent on it. But it was so worth it at the time.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Mar 18, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brunolezouf wrote:

Maybe I'll be so deaf, I won't be able to hear any loss and will tell to my boys: "See those CD your old man burnt 10 years ago, how good they still sound!" And my boys will look at each other, silently with that not-long-before-he can't-hear-us look...

It wasn't about the sound quality. It was about the lifetime of the disc itself - particularly relating to disc rot.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Mar 18, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Susanin wrote:

CMI, and how did you determine or find out that these songs were accelerated?

We could get into a spirited discussion about frequencies and what makes a note a note, but to be brief - it is actually not at all difficult to compare a song in the key of A, for example, to a guitar tuner or a keyboard that plays an A, and you just match the recording to that.

Of course it's entirely possible that bands recorded songs with their instruments tuned slightly higher or lower, but in most cases it was the tape being sped up or slowed down after the fact, like on Zeppelin's No Quarter.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Mar 18, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

seagull wrote:

Hot Space has unfortunately been bagged by a lot of fans. I can understand it’s not what fans wanted at the time etc. However, I think it has a lot to offer.

I hope your Hot Space release gives fans the opportunity to leave their preconceptions behind, and give the era a fresh set of ears.

Me too. But it's a far reach.

The reason why Hot Space is slagged is because it's a bad album, plain and simple. Queen were out in the wilderness, and the album marks the completion of their transition from being leaders to being followers. Hot Space has a few good moments, but its flaws far outweigh its perks.

Popular music in 1982 was still very interesting - Michael Jackson, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Iron Maiden, The Cure, Judas Priest, Prince, Brian Eno, Dire Straits, and XTC all put out truly fantastic albums that year. Hot Space just doesn't remotely compare to the innovation and forward thinking of all of these other artists at the time.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2601 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 18, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Thank goodness for 5 Tb hard drives. It's all a thing of the past now. I don't even want to think of the time and money spent on it. But it was so worth it at the time.

And the back-up 5tb drive as well of course....

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2601 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 18, 22:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Of course it's entirely possible that bands recorded songs with their instruments tuned slightly higher or lower....

Or just out of tune - Joe Perry was always complaining that Tyler de-tuned his guitar before recording and going on stage! LOL

MackMantilla user not visiting Queenzone.com
MackMantilla
Bohemian: 899 posts

Posted: 07 Mar 18, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello dear CMI
thanks a lot for all your shares.
May you consider working on Live Magic?

Regards.

cmi

Posted: 08 Mar 18, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All live releases are in the pipeline as well. But I hope there will be a proper Knebworth '86 official release before I reach 'Live Magic'. It seems 'Live Magic' was deleted from official discography as it wasn't even featured in the DeAgostini VInyl Collection...

THRILLHO user not visiting Queenzone.com
THRILLHO
Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 18, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

starting to dig into this and i noticed Silver Salmon wasn't included on the debut? is it not from the debut album sessions?

BETA215 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr. BETA will take care of you
BETA215
Deity: 2716 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 18, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THRILLHO wrote:

starting to dig into this and i noticed Silver Salmon wasn't included on the debut? is it not from the debut album sessions?

Silver Salmon seems to be from News Of The World sessions. Oh, good old discussion! Not again, please *_*

Don't forget my collection of demos and outtakes: http://goo.gl/uQARhn

PM me if you want any [leaked] multitrack.

Ya se ven los tigres en la lluvia.
cmi

Posted: 16 Mar 18, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it will be on NOTW EC.