Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Can you pussies stop whining about Freddie?

forum rss feed
Author

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 2498 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 17, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Icy has reading comprehension problems in case you didn’t notice. Freddie did live performances? I’m aware that all of QAL performances are also LIVE. What is she talking about?

GrowUpGlamberts user not visiting Queenzone.com
GrowUpGlamberts
Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 17, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pankakesnotstellar wrote:
mindless tat

Death hasn't erased any of Freddie's flaws, but it has certainly magnified the flaws of his successors on tour with Brian and Roger.

I think Freddie and Peter Straker wrote a song about you, pankakesnotstellar, for a Queen album that came out in 1991. If you can Google this much, you have the skills to find out whether or not FM achieved your personal qualifiers for on-stage exceptionalism. Also realize that your patronizing, pseudo-elitist writing is completely negated by the fact that you label your dissenters as "pussies".

I could be more cantankerous with my assessment of your contributions to this forum, but I'll try to play nice: You are fucking delusional.

*And a note to the diehard Queen fans who believe this venom is best put to task with physical force: Don't use violence to further your (our) cause. The real assault will likely be on Adam's record sales after this collaboration is over. If there is an active AdamZone.com in thirty years, his "legacy" will speak for itself. Until then, he is leagues below Freddie and co. I think he knows that - now who will break it to his annoying devotees?

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 2144 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 17, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it really that hard to figure out what I was talking about sweetcaroline?

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 17, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lambert? Tuppeny karaoke wailer.

Killer_Q user not visiting Queenzone.com
Killer_Q
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 21 Nov 17, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Where these trolls comes up from?
We shouldn't really feed them as they are this bad..

You know the name
Iron Butterfly

Posted: 30 Dec 17, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Icy misses me on QOL. Why else did she follow me here? She managed to get everiyone else banned or vanquished from there. There is no good reason why fans who enjoy this wonderful collaboration should not be welcome here or there. Diehard fans should be happy that someone like Adam came along to keep those wonderful older guys touring and happy!

Bumping and quoting this for sweetcaroline. It's where she thinks I managed to get everyone else banned. Now, how she would know that, I'd like to know. I'm only aware she she was banned, because she said that herself more than once her in her own posts.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 910 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 17, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Two I wouldn't normally reply to a post like this either but would you care to post some proof of Adam using playback & autotune. While you're at it can you show us the proof of him sounding like torture in souncheck. I assume you have proof since you know all this for a FACT.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 17, 02:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whoever thinks autotune and playback are involved sure doesn't know much about Adam. He has scoffed many times at those things and he doesn't need them. He sounds better live than in the studio. On the forums I read many folks have recorded sound checks, etc, and all you hear is his glorious voice. Anone who thinks differently is delusional! I have seen criticisms from people who can't believe he sings that consistently and they assume autontune is the reason, but that is patently untrue. His voice does not need it!

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6505 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

He sounds better live than in the studio.

Let's assume for a moment, just for the sake of argument, that this remark is actually factual and not just an exercise in stepford fandom:

If any artist sounds better live than he/she does in the studio, that should make anyone with even a cursory understanding of recording technology and live audio extremely suspicious.

Assuming that the studio recordings in question are not of an utterly sub-par quality, this would be a virtual guarantee that the live sound has been severely doctored with. You simply can't replicate the nigh-on perfect conditions for recording vocals (not to mention post-processing and the use of equipment, like sensitive kinds of microphones, that would simply not be usable in a noisy setting like a concert) that you have in a studio on stage. In fact, if any artist sounds better live than in the studio, I would seriously suspect that a Milli Vanilli was being pulled by someone without the good sense to make the lie believable.

But let's be real here - AL doesn't sound "better live than in the studio", you just want him to be absolutely perfect and damn the facts.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:

snifflese wrote:

He sounds better live than in the studio.

Let's assume for a moment, just for the sake of argument, that this remark is actually factual and not just an exercise in stepford fandom:

If any artist sounds better live than he/she does in the studio, that should make anyone with even a cursory understanding of recording technology and live audio extremely suspicious.

Assuming that the studio recordings in question are not of an utterly sub-par quality, this would be a virtual guarantee that the live sound has been severely doctored with. You simply can't replicate the nigh-on perfect conditions for recording vocals (not to mention post-processing and the use of equipment, like sensitive kinds of microphones, that would simply not be usable in a noisy setting like a concert) that you have in a studio on stage. In fact, if any artist sounds better live than in the studio, I would seriously suspect that a Milli Vanilli was being pulled by someone without the good sense to make the lie believable.

But let's be real here - AL doesn't sound "better live than in the studio", you just want him to be absolutely perfect and damn the facts.

Common sense and spot on, Thomasquinn.

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomasquinn

I can't speak for what snifflease meant by better live than recorded but for me he is better live on a lot of songs because of the way he changes them up. No one sounds technically better live but Adam really doesn't need all the processing done on his albums.

Of his studio stuff, some are heavily processed, obviously some are autotuned for the EDM effect, i.e. parts of If I had you. EDM type music has the vocals pushed to the back in favour of the music a lot of the time and even the non EDM stuff still seems to have the vocals less pronounced on the later stuff (3rd Album). If you're a club kid wanting to just dance it's what you want but for people who love Adam for his voice then live is better on a lot of songs for that reason.

Get him live solo and he just improvs, changes how he sings stuff, rearranges things from gig to gig, throws in covers which he changes up along the way and throws in insane riffs, high notes, runs, basically whatever he feels like. You've also got a live band in there as well with the guitar more pronounced than on the recordings, so basically it's far more interesting and fun live than the recording. For myself I prefer a lot of the live stuff over the recording because you get various versions of the same song and he can sing live incredibly well. Obviously he doesn't sound perfect and just like a recording but he is pretty consistent and a lot more spontaneous than you might think.

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is exactly what I meant, Rockchick! I am not sure why Stepford fandom is immediately brought up. I have read thousands of times where people posting on social media mention that Adam sounds better live. I have also seen him twice with QAL (and have the Japanese DVD of their concert there) and seen all of his tours. To me he almost always sounds better live. Don't know what to tell you! They do bring the EDM music to the fore and it does Adam's songs no favors. His was a voice meant to be heard, not covered up. He also, as she says, loves to change it up. I have seen several shows in the same tour and the songs are quite often different. He is a vocalist and never sings anything the same. He may sing it with higher notes, drop a few, change the speed and rhythm, riff where he didn't riff before. There are all sorts of things changed up. Then nothing beats that live sound of having the music actually surround you! I am sorry, but I don't think a recorded CD of a concert beats being there. No way, no how and Adam is the best live singer we have right now. He is almost always spot on! (Except for those AMA awards that one time!!) That voice is front and center and he performs! I have all his CD's and seen him many times and I stand by my opinion that he is a better live singer! I don't care what tech and science say. Music is about feeling and I feel his music much more at a concert and that is where you hear the full majesty of his voice, not so on a CD!

SweetCaroline

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks snifflese, that’s exactly what I’ve been saying for over 7 years now.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

That is exactly what I meant, Rockchick! I am not sure why Stepford fandom is immediately brought up. I have read thousands of times where people posting on social media mention that Adam sounds better live. I have also seen him twice with QAL (and have the Japanese DVD of their concert there) and seen all of his tours. To me he almost always sounds better live. Don't know what to tell you! They do bring the EDM music to the fore and it does Adam's songs no favors. His was a voice meant to be heard, not covered up. He also, as she says, loves to change it up. I have seen several shows in the same tour and the songs are quite often different. He is a vocalist and never sings anything the same. He may sing it with higher notes, drop a few, change the speed and rhythm, riff where he didn't riff before. There are all sorts of things changed up. Then nothing beats that live sound of having the music actually surround you! I am sorry, but I don't think a recorded CD of a concert beats being there. No way, no how and Adam is the best live singer we have right now. He is almost always spot on! (Except for those AMA awards that one time!!) That voice is front and center and he performs! I have all his CD's and seen him many times and I stand by my opinion that he is a better live singer! I don't care what tech and science say. Music is about feeling and I feel his music much more at a concert and that is where you hear the full majesty of his voice, not so on a CD!

Genuine question for you. What solo album of AL's do you think his voice was best in studio and on tour? I think it was TOH. I think that gelled very well.

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the TOH album, but I really loved the first album. It is kind of all over the place musically, with even a Darkness song (I think they wrote it!). There were a lot of songs with really high notes and a glam rock feel to it. I thought that one really showcased his voice. It also has Fever which I loved. Too bad it was never a single as I think it would have been a big hit. There really wasn't a song on there I did not like. Surefire Winners and Sleepwalker were stunning! I saw that tour twice and I though he sounded better on tour than on the album. That was my favorite by far. I love all of his music, but for me, Queen's music is what really showcases his voice. When they play together, you just get bathed in the music. I hope his new album will be more along those lines. Guess we will have to see! I would love to hear him sing some classical. His "The Prayer" is amazing. I loved the song from Brigadoon. That is the type of music that showcases his tenor voice. I also love him singing rock. Next to him my favorite rock singer is Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden. He also sings amazingly at concerts!! His voice also just swirls through the room and I love that type of rock! Would love to hear Adam sing "Hallowed be thy name" just to see! I think he could sing some amazing blues as "A Change is Gonna Come" was also outstanding. I hope he goes a different route with his own music as I just don't feel him as a pop singer. His voice is too good!

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me I love some songs from each album rather than one album in particular. My all time favourite song Adam's done has to be Time for Miracles but from he 1st album Soaked and Sleepwalker stand out. 2nd album Chokehold, Runnin, Underneath, Outlaws, Take Back and Nirvana and 3rd album Things I didn't say, There I said it, The Light and Lucy. I do like some others but more just as an occasional listen or if they come on when I'm out. One of my fav's live is the Red House he did for New Year at Winstar, I'm not a big blues fan but I really loved that and his cover of Stay in Tokyo day 3 was stunning. He must have done tons of versions of WWFM but I really love the unusual one he did at Trevor Live with just the piano. I agree about Change is Gonna Come, one of his best on Idol in my opinion, would love him to do an album with a mix of blues/rock, any melodic rock i.e.Journey style and a couple of ballads thrown in. I'd be first in queue for that. I'm not really a classical music fan but I do think his voice suits that type of music. I suspect he could probably do Iron Maiden but I think I recall him saying somewhere he wasn't really into singing metal. Don't quote me on that, could be something someone else mentioned so might not be true.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey, you two, tks for replying. I will reply to the posts later today, ok.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Ok, somehow, my reply won't show up. Please see the next post.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, please try to read this through and to understand what I'm writing before talking back.

First off, to get this point dealt with, you are not talking about "sounding better", you are talking about "enjoying the experience more". Those are two different things. You might enjoy a live concert more than a studio recording (" I am sorry, but I don't think a recorded CD of a concert beats being there"), and that's your right. You might enjoy AL shaking up a melody some, and that's fine too. But you were making claims about "sounding better" live than in the studio, and that is what I'm addressing. He doesn't. Nobody does. It's physically impossible (explanation follows later).

Now, the only argument you put forward to back up your claim that AL "sounds better" live is that "I have read thousands of times where people posting on social media mention that Adam sounds better live". That is not a serious argument. Even if it were true (and you have not read "thousands" of these comments), it would still just be a number of people doing exactly what you are doing: confusing "enjoying the show" with "sounding better than in the studio". These supposed people also don't put forward arguments for this supposed claim, and in essence, this is no different from advertising slogans like "10 000 people can't be wrong" and "3 out of 4 dentists recommend CRAPP(tm)!".

Now, finally, before I get to the technical part, why I accuse you (and stand by that accusation) of being a stepford fan. Here follows a direct quote from you:

"His was a voice meant to be heard, not covered up [...] and Adam is the best live singer we have right now. [...] He is almost always spot on! [...] I don't care what tech and science say"

First part: that goes for every vocalist. The fact that you suggest some sort of exceptionalism for AL's voice reeks of stepfordism.
Second part: there is no such thing as "the best live singer". Quite aside from matters of taste, vocals for, say, pop, classical, jazz and death metal are such different categories that you might as well regard them as entirely different instruments. To sing opera requires an entirely different set of techniques from singing pop/rock. Just listen to "Barcelona": Freddie can't do operatic vocals, Montserrat can't do pop vocals, and that's two experts trying their absolute hardest. So, at *best* AL would be the best live singer in his specific niche, and THAT is purely a matter of personal preference. The fact that you present it as cold, hard fact is the most explicit stepfordism there is.
Third part: you just wrote that he changes melodies, phrasings, rhythm and the likes a lot. You can either be "spot on" or you can get creative with vocals, but you can't do both at the same time. That is not a matter of the one is better than the other, but you are trying to have your cake and eat it too.
Fourth part: you essentially say "I don't care about facts, my fact-free opinion is all that counts". That is very stepford.

Ok, now for the part I actually do find interesting, namely the real musical side to things. You might say things like "music is about feeling", and as a member of the audience you might be right (again, subjective), but as a musician or a technician there is a lot more to it than that. You can have all the emotion you want, but without a grasp of the technical side, you will fall short every time.

Live music is a difficult thing. Not only because you can't patch up mistakes and layer things ad infinitum like you can in the studio, but also because you have to deal with a number of extremely annoying imperfections. First of all, the venue itself. As a rule of the thumb, you can pretty safely say that if the room is big enough to hold the crowd, it's too big for the music to sound good. Clap your hands in a big empty room. Listen to that reverb. It's big time trouble for the techs. Any act as big as Queen+AL is going to fill a room so big that a single set of speakers isn't going to cut it. That means different sets of speakers, and that means delays in the sound. You need to deal with that delay in combination with the reverb and every other acoustic trait of the venue you're playing. Moreover, the qualities of the room are actually going to change in the course of the show - it heats up, the humidity changes, the occupancy (and therefore the volume of empty space) changes. The only way to deal with that is...to compromise. You can't get the sound perfect, you'll have to settle for good enough. Have you ever been to a classical concert hall? If you have, you'll notice it's rather different than a rock venue. That's because it's been designed specifically for one type of music - either a symphony orchestra, or for opera, or for chamber music, etc. etc. Not just that, it's usually designed for ONE specific group of performers to sound stellar, and for others of the same kind to sound good. Perform an opera in a venue built for symphonies and it will probably sound good - but not as good as it would in a venue designed for operas.

Now comes the even more headache-inducing part - getting every instrument (including voice) onto the speakers in the first place. Let's ignore all of the other instruments and focus solely on the vocals. In a studio, you can control almost all relevant factors in recording vocals. Let's start with the microphone. There is a huge variety of microphones around, and every song and every voice will require a somewhat different approach. To reproduce a voice, which makes very complex sounds, accurately and beautifully, you will usually want a microphone that is as sensitive as possible. You might actually want more than one microphone and make use of the space. You can't do either of those on stage - if you use a really sensitive microphone, you won't hear the singer - you'll probably hear the drummer and the crowd. So, you'll have to use a strongly directional and less sensitive microphone - which warps the sound.

You can't make use of the space, so any sense of spaciousness has to be added artificially (and yes, this happens for AL as well as for any other vocalist with a crew that is in any way professional) through reverb (or dampening), delay, equalizing and the likes - and all to either work with or compensate for the acoustics of the venue, which often means great compromises in sound quality. All of that's not *necessarily* bad, but it will give you an inferior sound over a vocal recorded in the studio with a more sensitive (set of) microphone(s). And yes, pitch correction will also be applied. AL is not the exception to the rule.

In short, every single artist will sound better when recorded in the studio than live on stage. That doesn't mean you can't *enjoy* a live performance more than a studio recording. The *experience* may be far superior live. But the sound definitely is not.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 02 Jan 18, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Thomas, but you are full of beans! The Queen guys must have a more than excellent sound crew because the sound at the venue I attended last July was beyond impeccable perfection!