Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Which album should get the anniversary box treatment next?

forum rss feed
Author

vince73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 17, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Live Killers update expanding it like the 2003 release of Wembley.

user1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 17, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:

Honestly, as harsh as it sounds, considering Brian and Roger's (though, probably, just Brian's) almost pathological fear of having us hear something that they do not consider perfect, and the way they have vetoed interesting material and insisted on making Frankensteinian hybrid mixes to polish up original work-in-progress tracks - I would rather wait for a long time and see box sets put out after Brian and Roger are no longer with us, so that we get to hear the ACTUAL material and not the products of obsessive-compulsive revisionism.

I've really gone off Brian and Roger, as you can probably read from the above.

Sad but true.
Other benefits would be the halt of all that disgusting Queen+ stuff and that Glambert would vanish into thin air.

John Deacon: "I've heard what they did and it's rubbish." "Freddie can never be replaced."
Ale_Pisa user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ale_Pisa
Bohemian: 945 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 17, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They can create a lot of box:
1 - The Early years (from the beginning to SHA)
2 - Killers In The Making (JAzz and Live Killers)
3 - PLAY THE GAME (GAME and HOT SPACE)
4 - The Last Session (From the Miracle till Innuendo incl. Made In Heaven)

Flash Gordon, The Works and A Kind Of Magic can have some box combined together...

Bike It 80 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Don't shun it, bike it!
Bike It 80
Bohemian: 167 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 17, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd go with Live Killers. Hadn't been remastered since the Hollywood Records 1991 release, I think, so it's about time. And it would be nice to finally see If You Can't Beat Them, Fat Bottomed Girls and It's Late included in the song list. With a Blu-Ray containing live performances from the era... One can dream, eh?

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like!
The Fonz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fonz
Bohemian: 429 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Either do it like Metallica just did or forget the whole thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Puppets-Remastered-Deluxe-Box/dp/B0756W66RD/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb?ie=UTF8&qid=1510707252&sr=8-1&keywords=metallica+master+of+puppets+deluxe+box+set

The Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set will include a 108-page hardcover book including never before seen photos, outtakes and previously unreleased interviews, three LPs, ten CDs, a cassette, two DVDs, a lithograph, a folder with handwritten lyrics, and a set of six buttons.

$175USD

vs

https://www.amazon.com/News-World-40th-Super-Deluxe/dp/B075X2GRRB/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1510707365&sr=1-1&keywords=queen+news+of+the+world+40th+anniversary&dpID=512wjnQRLGL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Super deluxe edition of "News Of The World" from Queen consists of 3 CDs, a DVD, and a LP

$128.24USD.

ggo1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 182 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Supposedly The Game had the most material left over, but if it was any good it would surely have been on Made In Heaven. I do like the alternate takes we've heard from NOTW so far. I'd be up for more of that from any album. Preferably at a lower price.

Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2128 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ggo1 wrote:

Supposedly The Game had the most material left over, but if it was any good it would surely have been on Made In Heaven. I do like the alternate takes we've heard from NOTW so far. I'd be up for more of that from any album. Preferably at a lower price.

We already got some on Made in Heaven in the form of It's a Beautiful Day (2×) and Let Me Live, but of course it would be great to hear some more work in progress on Sail Away Sweet Sister or Dragon Attack. The collaboration versions of Play th Game and Let Me Live are good candidates to include as well on such a release.

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com
Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2128 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I honestly doubt that Queen Production will push through with these nice ideas they have. They released DVD'S of GVH I and II and then stopped, which leaves us still missing the official Innuendo videos. They released two great DVD Audio of The Game and A Night at the Opera and then just stopped, neglecting the fact that they have quite some albums left very suitable for such a release. Rainbow was released as a start of a very promissing live catalogue series, but after the release of Hammersmith, that bleeded to death quite quickly also...

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com
ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 723 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bradbobly wrote:

I would probably like to see a combination of Jazz and a Live Killers set given a decent treatment.
I don't hold my breath on these things now...

Absolutely
Both albums could do with some serious work

Jazz in particular could be a spectacular album if it had been produced differently

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 723 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MercurialFreddie wrote:

The Game and Jazz but of course I'd love to hear all three albums as a box of 6 CD's as @dudeofqueen suggested.

It would be nice (if they'd choose The Game as the next collector's box-set) to finally know if it was originally recorded as a double-album and to hear those tracks rejected (the second "album"). As some may remember, some time ago a queenzone poster named Roger's Untidy Bottom came here claiming all that about The Game. He claimed to be one of the band's friends from the inner-circle and being present at the recording session he claimed that The Game was recorded as a double-album but the second side was shelved shortly before pressing the album. He also claimed that Freddie recorded all of the lyrics written for Let Me Live.

Yes, Let me Live was originally a duet with Rod Stewart I believed

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 2293 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live Killers. Was going to say Live Magic too, but the great thing about that for me is what is there - additional recordings would just water it down.

Maybe Live Magic with the BR opera section restored.

I'd like a complete The Miracle. The 2011 issue was great, but all those b-sides, edits and remixes in one place would be fantastic. OK, not a classic album (I like it!) but all the extra material is crying out for a nice box.

dave76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
dave76
Bohemian: 659 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of The Miracle, CMI did a nice imaginary 3 disc edition which was should have happened with all the albums in 2011.

dysan

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes that was very nice. But lost points for adding back TMLWKY :)

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2453 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote:

Yes that was very nice. But lost points for adding back TMLWKY :)

Silly Boy.
Amazing song. Love it.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4801 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A completely new Livekillers with different versions of existing (composite) tracks, plus all the missing songs that were played live.
Then do Jazz and ADATR.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Chopin1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chopin1995
Bohemian: 289 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

user1 wrote:

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:

Honestly, as harsh as it sounds, considering Brian and Roger's (though, probably, just Brian's) almost pathological fear of having us hear something that they do not consider perfect, and the way they have vetoed interesting material and insisted on making Frankensteinian hybrid mixes to polish up original work-in-progress tracks - I would rather wait for a long time and see box sets put out after Brian and Roger are no longer with us, so that we get to hear the ACTUAL material and not the products of obsessive-compulsive revisionism.

I've really gone off Brian and Roger, as you can probably read from the above.

Sad but true.
Other benefits would be the halt of all that disgusting Queen+ stuff and that Glambert would vanish into thin air.

Hard not to agree with both of you. But I think it mostly Brian and Jim Beach. Roger already released 'The Lot' 4 years ago so IMO this shows that Roger at least wants do something.

Brian had a plan to release Brixton recently and what?... Let me quote official Brian's youtube channel - "The Brixton concert audio has now been re-mastered by Tim Young, under the supervision of Justin Shirley-Smith and Kris Fredriksson." (2015) And still nothing.

Regarding Jim Beach, someone on this forum last year (?) wrote a post when he bumped into Roger somewhere in Britain but he didn't say 'hello' or anything but just followed him. He could heard Roger saying something like "This bastard Beach" beacuse he didn't want to let release something. I don't remeber this story exactly.

It looks like they lost their mind (in a way) after 1998 when they decided to reincarnate Queen brand. Up until then everything was alright. They released MiH and 'No One But You' which I consider to be the very last Queen song. Deaky still wanted to cooperate in 1997 beacuse apart from this song they performed with Elton John earlier that year. And as we know they rehearsed Innuendo around that time. Suddenly they started to do weird collaborations, WWRY musical (Roger said he doesn't like musicals) GH3... John knew this was the time to retire.

Which album boxes I would like most to hear?
1. The Miracle - MiH. Sooo many stuff there. As mentioned earlier it was proven they have many outtakes and studio chatter for Innuendo. It took them 3-4 hours to listen only 4 songs. And can you imagine listening to rejected takes of Freddie's vocals for Mother Love? And his instuctions he gave them? And any other 1991 stuff? And how the last album evolved after that until release in 1995?

2. Everything from the 60s before they were Queen and the first session of the band in September 1971. Wasn't it the very first time Freddie was in a recording studio? Add some 1970-1972 concerts and this would be great!

BTW I would love to hear some more concerts from Queen II Tour beacuse if the other gigs were as great as Rainbow then that was the best Queen tour ever, along with NOTW Tour and Crazy Tour. (I know this could be quite subjective)

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1035 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Backwards from News of the World.

Studio chatter from Hot Space could be interesting, though.

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
dysan

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@brians wig

You're silly.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 3341 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

INNUENDO: THE LOT

Demos
alternate takes
DVD/BR AUDIO 5.1 remaster/revisited (always sounded a bit thin) with video tracks as well.
Documentary footage with EPs, interviews with Thor Arnold about Delilah the dropped feature film.
Interview with Robert Plant explaining his cover.
Steve Howe vegetarian dinner cooking segment

Extra footage of Jim Breach wiping his ass with $100 bills.

Yes. Breach.

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
user1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 17, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:
Demos
alternate takes

You mean 2021 Frankenstein versions of 1990 demos/takes with auto tune and a few additional effects.

John Deacon: "I've heard what they did and it's rubbish." "Freddie can never be replaced."