Posted: 29 Nov 17, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi All
I find this topic interesting.
I attended the Liverpool Echo show
last night (28/11/17).
At the very front with my
partner, so, great start.
For the past few years I must admit ive also
been on the fence with the various collaborations.. + P.R..A.L..
I first saw Queen at the Apollo M'chester '79 .& various shows after.
I think it all boils down to this..times change. If you grew up with them you never wanted things to change,the perfect band in my opinion, Fred passing away changed it all & John not wishing to carry on(good & wise choice, who had full respect for Freddie, I'm sure deep down, thought it wrong to do so) Its not like it used to be. Its business.BIG BUSINESS.
Queen..whats left of them have become
business men 1'st..& rock & rollers second.
They only output what will make money from the mass market not the hardcore fan. Shameful. No real loyalty to people who helped build them up (the fans) over many a year. I truly cant understand why they can't issue stuff the longstanding fans
crave for through outlets such as QOL or the fan club etc..but also keep the passive fan happy through the normal outlets.
Disappointing. Its this that drives the early fans away...back to the show.
I went wanting/hoping to hear "It's Late".."SYW" or even by the luck of God.."SHA" or possibly a treat maybe "FFTI" from Roger / "SOTS" from Brian..but it was not to be...So in this the 40th yr of NOWT & all the stageing for the show centred on that...no more treats?
2/3rds of "GML" & WWRY/WATC". Poor, in terms of celebrating one of if not their best selling studio l.p's. Somebody who has already stated, they should be pleasing the home fan.
Business.
They should call their tours the greatest hits tours.
Adam Lambert..no Freddie, we all know that. Great singer, Good entertainer, people want to see him (& Queen). He's a different entity. I went to give him a chance..did he deliver? In some things, yes but he doesn't have the " Aura" Mr.Mercury had.
He's young so that keeps the energy in the show that Roger & Brian are now lacking & it can be seen, in some parts, but i expected that. I'm glad I went, so I could comment.
I think, after this tour, its time to retire gracefully boys & maybe, just maybe concentrate on what the fan/collector truly wants before its too late.

RS_Protos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Nov 17, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally agree with you craig, some very good points, but wont happen in the near future. I will happen when mass market loses interest....

Day dop user not visiting Queenzone.com
Day dop
Royalty: 1116 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've little interest in any Queen+ activities. I like Queen releases such as Live at the Rainbow, and what not, but the Adam Lambert stuff (horrid screechy voice and looks tacky as fuck) truly sucks as far as I'm concerned. I wish the Queen Facebook page didn't plonk his face in my newsfeed, then you read the thread and see a bunch of Lambert fans have invaded the page attempting to police what other people say. I'm sure many Pink Floyd fans would feel the same as many long term Queen fans if Justin Bieber started fronting them.
As such, I've unfollowed the official Queen facebook page couple of times over that (and then refollowed after Queen+ Lambert tours have come to an end). They even managed to shoehorn him into the recent News of the World documentary. Fuck sake.

As a creative force, I lost faith in Brian and Roger years ago.

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 358 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sadly i fear a Queen anthology box will only happen after Brian and Roger snuff it.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6952 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And they'll probably outlive many of us anyway.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gift From God............. :)

Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 224 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Craig, move on. I can not stand this moaning about how it used to be in 1979. Really.
I am the first to agree that playing parts of songs is not OK. That being said, they put on a damn fine show. It’s great music and Queen is blessed with Adam. He does justice to the songs.

Stop whining about “business”. It always has been business. Also in 1977. And beyond.

Focus on the great things: Roger and Adam duetting on Under Pressure is just joy to watch. Or Roger singing I’m in Love With My Car. Or Adam singing Who Wants To Live Forever.
That’s is just great stuff.

Freddie is dead. He died 26 years ago. Move on.

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2177 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sunshine wrote:

Craig, move on. I can not stand this moaning about how it used to be in 1979. Really. . . .

I am the first to agree that playing parts of songs is not OK. That being said, they put on a damn fine show. . . .

Stop whining about “business”. It always has been business. Also in 1977. And beyond.

I agree times change, and so should people.

Playing parts of songs is something of a Queen tradition. Through the 70's and 80's with the exception of 1982. So I guess you always thought there shows were never ok?

Yes it is a business, more so to them when they took over there own management from John Reid.

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"He does justice to the songs. " matter of opinion.........................

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:

Playing parts of songs is something of a Queen tradition. Through the 70's and 80's with the exception of 1982.

In 1982 they only played selected bits from 'Dragon Attack' (no drum solo, for instance, and only one documented instance so far of the bass solo, plus no final chorus). They often only did the intro of 'Mustapha' (i.e. a part) and, of course, they always excluded the 'Bo Rhap' intro. So even though there wasn't a medley as such, they were still playing incomplete versions.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20292 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenman!! wrote:

depressed? that will happen when you play a Greatest Hits setlist for over 12 years since PR came onboard. ;)

Compare the setlist now to what it was a decade ago - it may be a "greatest hits" setlist, but they had over 40 singles. The show is quite different now, never mind the production.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Krypto_98 wrote:

During Fat Bottom Girls in Toronto, I saw Brian run and he looked visibly in pain after that. He tried to hide it with a smile. I personally think they will stop touring soon. If you read is instagram he is already saying stuff like that its taking a toll

https://youtu.be/guLAIlSV8PI?t=5m56s

around there ish

Yep - he's 70.

And just a few years ago he had knee replacement surgery.

We should feel lucky these guys are touring at all.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

We should feel lucky these guys are touring at all.

Not really. We should breathe oxygen, eat, drink and eliminate waste. Everything else is optional.

The fact they're touring is certainly making them (and thousands of people) very happy. Fair play for that. But it doesn't have even the slightest effect on my life, so it's neither 'lucky' nor 'unlucky' for me that they're touring or that at some point they won't anymore.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

craigob11 wrote:

No real loyalty to people who helped build them up (the fans) over many a year. I truly cant understand why they can't issue stuff the longstanding fans
crave for
I think, after this tour, its time to retire gracefully boys & maybe, just maybe concentrate on what the fan/collector truly wants before its too late.

You are in the extreme minority, friend. 99% of the people are happy with the shows on the way out of the arena.

They are playing Stone Cold Crazy and Get Down Make Love for the people who know the albums. The greatest hits crowd doesn't know those tunes. That's why the two NOTW tracks were dropped - the band doesn't want to look at blank faces for another 15 minutes of the night.

As per releases - what more could one crave at the moment? They just released an alternate version of News Of The World with different guitars and vocals on every track.

Some bands do more for their fans, and others do less. Queen are somewhere in the middle. If you want more, then maybe you should dig deeper into Bruce Springsteen or King Crimson. This is about as good as it'll get for Queen.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sunshine wrote:

Agreed. Queen went from being a band to a brand long before 1991. To suggest otherwise is completely foolish and short-sighted.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5096 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sunshine wrote:

Craig, move on. I can not stand this moaning about how it used to be in 1979. Really.
I am the first to agree that playing parts of songs is not OK. That being said, they put on a damn fine show. It’s great music and Queen is blessed with Adam. He does justice to the songs.

Focus on the great things: Roger and Adam duetting on Under Pressure is just joy to watch. Or Roger singing I’m in Love With My Car. Or Adam singing Who Wants To Live Forever.
That’s is just great stuff.

There's something deeply ironic about telling someone to "move on" while half of Queen play their old hits :)

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
craigob11 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 17, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks for all gour replies & comments.
you say 'move on' ? I didnt say I didnt enjoy the show, i thought it was great. Nor did I dis respect AL, he did a great job.
My point was, in general, that being NOTW anniversary year, in the Uk. they could have played more from the album...no? Their staging was centered around that...no? I agree, they have to please every one..& no, maybe not all who attend the shows know the album but from the crowd at the Echo which varied..they were mainly in the older bracket of fans so possibly did know it. And yes "it always as been a business" i agree but do they really need to stick the name on everything now?

Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 224 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 17, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the old days they incorporated abbreviated songs in a medley in an intelligent way.

What i mean is that they play short versions of songs (Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Tie Your Mother Down, Hammer To Fall( LY)etc) which they never done before. It's like experiencing Live Magic in real. Not cool.

And what's worse, they stop playing songs in the middle. Like Play The Game, it just stopped before the guitar solo. What a turn off.
Or Brian not playing the last scales of Bohemian Rhapsody. That is just sloppiness, because the majority of the audience doesn't notice.

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2177 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 17, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Vocal harmony wrote:

Playing parts of songs is something of a Queen tradition. Through the 70's and 80's with the exception of 1982.

In 1982 they only played selected bits from 'Dragon Attack' (no drum solo, for instance, and only one documented instance so far of the bass solo, plus no final chorus). They often only did the intro of 'Mustapha' (i.e. a part) and, of course, they always excluded the 'Bo Rhap' intro. So even though there wasn't a medley as such, they were still playing incomplete versions.

You're right and I hadn't thought of those instances. So that's even more parts of songs, and it's still before any Queen + shows

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Royalty: 1152 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 17, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Poor Brian , he screwed de bo rhap solo complete in Leeds. What happened? Due to smoke or...???

https://youtu.be/6OUIMjmn9WI

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!