forum rss feed
Author

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1429 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it’s about the music!

BUT ..... When I went to a second QAL show in 2014 at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan I was directed to a ladies room down the hall from the stage because my seat was on the main floor and because I am older I couldn’t go quickly up the stairs to the restroom area. I was amazed at all of the huge black containers lined up in that hallway that were marked for the show. In order to fit on those trucks, the various components of the show must be broken up and carefully put in their specific black cases. It’s like a giant puzzle and that crew has to be able to work quickly and efficiently. There is more to that show than the 6 guys playing on the stage!

SweetCaroline

Vocal harmony user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1594 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bullet with Butterfly Wings wrote:

You know sweetcaroline...maybe the one thing we will ever have in common is that we are awake at this hour ;-) :-).
I don't know what John thinks, I'm not going to assume. I'm stating how I feel. I don't rely on tweets etc to do it for me.
Do I think this tour is a money grab? A part of me thinks so, especially after all the hype about it being dangerous and the NOTW anniversary.
I think it's easier than ever to set up and take down a show, the lighting, etc. The lighting, Frank, doesn't make up for what I feel is missing. The focus for me, is the music. That's what I care about the most.

I totally agree with your comments on the setlist, however you're some way off the mark with your assumption that it has never been easier to set up a show.

The current Queen production needs 22 trucks (40ft trailers) they are touring with close to 70 crew. They hire in 95 more crew at each venue. Setup takes from 6:30AM until 2 or 3 PM. At 6:30 the venue/arena is empty, everything is built from scratch, the stage, including a 2 ton stage lift and a smaller one top life, these are pushed into position and the stage built around them.

Riggers have to hang 60+ flying points to hang motor lifts from to hang, lighting, video and sound. All of which has to be assembled on sight. Also catering and dressing room and production office equipment is carried and set up at each venue.

The stage, including the lifts has to be pushed into place, once built, to its position under the lighting rig and video screens.

After the show it takes three hours to take it all down, and pack it away and load the truck, in sequence so that they can be unloaded as they are needed st the next venue.

Most of the time they do two shows back to back over night traveling, the crew are lucky to get 5 or 6 hours sleep at the most on the tour busses. Every third day is usually a day off.

Those who complain about ticket pricing haven't a clue what goes into a show on this scale, and the flight cases Caroline saw stacked in that corridor were a tiny percentage of what is being used.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

“.@QueenWillRock and @adamlambert is the best show I’ve ever seen or ever will ???????? those songs + that voice = perfect honour to Freddie ??”

bucsateflon user not visiting Queenzone.com
bucsateflon
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tie your mother down.. was good

fuckers
NickESB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 174 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:
Those who complain about ticket pricing haven't a clue what goes into a show on this scale, and the flight cases Caroline saw stacked in that corridor were a tiny percentage of what is being used.

No, that's completely false.

For the London O2 shows in 2015 I paid:

Block 103 - £69 + fees (IIRC)
Block 412 - £49 + fees.

The same seats would cost £200 ("official platinum seat") and £79 respectively on this tour.

The stage isn't that different. The video screens are a bit more impressive but that, combined with inflation, does not justify that price hike within such a short space of time.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I paid $125 for club seats on the second level. I got fooled by the Section No. and thought I was on the first level. The first level was $175.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW! What a fabulous review of the show in Dublin— even mentions Joe Elliot in the audience and that the day before was the anniversary of Freddie’s passing! Best review ever!

http://www.overdrive.ie/review-queen-adam-lambert-3arena-ireland-251117/

SweetCaroline

Bullet with Butterfly Wings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 17, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Vocal Harmony. I stand corrected.

Posted: 28 Nov 17, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NickESB wrote:

Vocal harmony wrote:

Block 412 - £49 + fees.

The same seats would cost £200 ("official platinum seat") and £79 respectively on this tour.

The stage isn't that different. The video screens are a bit more impressive but that, combined with inflation, does not justify that price hike within such a short space of time.

Posted: 28 Nov 17, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NickESB wrote:

Vocal harmony wrote:

Block 412 - £49 + fees.

This production ,stage, video, lighting is much bigger than last time. The stage last time was a 70 x 40 flat deck. This stage is a different structure designed to incorporate two lifts and is guitar shaped.

The upstage video screen is 55 ft wide as opposed to 25x25 on the last tour.

The downstage screen is 70 feet from end to end and hung on a curved truss.

Your reply to my post further goes to prove you have no real idea about touring on this scale.

The last tour traveled in 14 trailers, this tour uses 22. The last tour had 55 staff plus 65 local load in crew and 75 at Loadout. As I pointed out this time it's 95 and 120.

This is a bigger and more expensive production in every way.

You quoted ticket prices, something i didn't. The promoter sets the price, he hires the venue and pays the band am egret set amount. He then makes as much as possible from ticket sale. If he chooses to call an area platinum and charge accordingly,not hats up to him. If a venue sell badly it's his loss.

I could go on to explain the more complex rigging and flying arrangement that this show needs compared to the last but I really think it would go over your head ;)

NickESB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 174 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 17, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:

I could go on to explain the more complex rigging and flying arrangement that this show needs compared to the last but I really think it would go over your head ;)

You've started with the patronising response, so why not finish it?

Posted: 28 Nov 17, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^^ there is a joke in that post, hence the wink, which you didn't see or get!

SweetCaroline

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this fan poster for Birmington:

http://www.adamlambertlive.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/QAL-171130-Birmingham_Albert.jpg

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4844 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I like this fan poster for Birmington:

That well known town in the West MiddleEarthlands.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 30 Nov 17, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^LOL.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 03 Dec 17, 02:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can’t copy it here but just saw a very positive comment from Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott. He and and Rick Savage were at the QAL show in Dublin last Saturday! Joe played Get Down Make Love on his Planet Rock radio show after attending the show and recommends going to this great show! He said that song was the highlight for him!

Posted: 03 Dec 17, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never thought I'd ever see the day that sweetcaroline can't copy and paste something like a glowing review of sorts :o.
Love Def Leppard, read what they had to say about it because it was shared on Facebook. I think GDML is something I cringe at, even more with AL crawling around during it. No highlight for me. It should be a heavy rock song, but it comes across as cheesy to me in these shows.
I don't like the Queen version very much either by the way.
All IMO of course.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 03 Dec 17, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Joe Elliott clip I saw was on Twitter and was not able to be copied as a link. I didn’t see it on FB. BTW Joe played the Queen version of GDML on his radio show not the QAL version but he loved it in the Dublin QAL Show!