Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > QAL in the UK - 11/28 to 12/16

forum rss feed
Author

jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 455 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The o2
wow as a fairly seasoned fan first concert September 1984 in Birmingham I've been to in excess of 30+ concerts be it Queen, Queen+ and solo tours. Saw QAL In Hammersmith in 2012 for the first time and saw great potential in this young camp American. last night at Londons O2 I was totally blown away, his vocals have gone to another level, his stage craft and presence has everyone in the audience wanting more and add 2 very important ingredients in the form of a Dr Brian May and a Roger Taylor wow is the only word I can use. I was kind of expecting to see BM and RT a shadow of their former selves but couldn't be further from the the truth, Theres a lot of moaning regarding the setlist but hey after last night Id pay to see them again and so would the group of AL cynics I took with me last night. One of my friends was a total AL hater till about into the 3rd song SCC and all I kept hearing was omg hes nailed it hes out of this world etc. So if you've not seen them go on give it a try. Even if its to see 2 fantastic musicians having a great time and playing some timeless stuff you'll be blown away

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 2593 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeff, wow you make my heart happy this morning and back up my OTT rhetoric and quoted tweets. There are only two more shows in London and the last one is in Birmingham on Saturday!

May I ask if you were standing on the floor or how far from the stage in the seats? I get a lot of grief in the Queen forums for saying you have to be there in person to fully appreciate the experience! And that no matter what they play, they are “magnificent!”

SweetCaroline

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here are some nice closeup videos from the O2:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U6pBRTqeNi8

NickESB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 177 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I get a lot of grief in the Queen forums for saying you have to be there in person to fully appreciate the experience! And that no matter what they play, they are “magnificent!”

You do get a lot of grief, some of it is nasty and I dislike that.

However, my problem with this show remains: 20 songs performed at the O2 last night also appeared in the set for the 2015-01-18 show - nearly three years ago.

Furthermore, the lighting/screen visuals etc for those remains largely unchanged. Same goes for Adam's tribute to Freddie/band introductions, and Brian's "good evening London folks/can't believe we're here doing this" etc speeches.

I therefore can't subscribe to your "these shows are magnificent" rhetoric.

Yes, I know Queen tours weren't known for massive setlist changes. But from tour to tour there were more changes than this. I think about that brilliant Works tour set - the 1986 staging was vastly removed from that the next time they went on the road.

The whole NOTW branding really irritates me, too. They're playing one more (and only half of it) track from that album than they did in 2015. Heck, the 1982 European tour had more than that (four), yet it wasn't branded as such.

FWIW, I think Adam is better than he's ever been. Vocally he's sounding really strong - no mean feat come the end of a tour - and his stage presence is vastly improved. But, and I hate to say it, I was bored a various times during last night's show.

jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 455 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was front centre next to the walkway got some fantastic pics, during gaga it went dark then all of a sudden AL was right in front of me on his little walk round could get camera out in time apart from a few blured pics

SweetCaroline

SweetCaroline

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally LOVE the whole Frank the Robot thing and I think after reading Brian’s comments about why they dropped IL and SYW from the Set List, they are giving enough attention to the 40th anniversary of NOTW.

I LOVE the opening, LOVE Adam singing Killer Queen sitting on Frank with his moving pink eyes instead of on the chaise lounge, love Brian playing his guitar solo perched on the palm of Frank’s boney hand, Frank clapping during Radio GaGa and Frank waving goodbye to the audience before bringing the set back down to the floor of the stage!

NickESB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 177 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I personally LOVE the whole Frank the Robot thing and I think after reading Brian’s comments about why they dropped IL and SYW from the Set List, they are giving enough attention to the 40th anniversary of NOTW.

They're total copouts.

Does he really think audiences know GDML more than Spread Your Wings?

And if he thinks shows are too long and need to be cut, here's an idea: get rid of your guitar solo. And Roger's drum bit.

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^^^^ Spot on NickESB

Can someone please paste these comments of Brian's trying to justify why IL and SYW were dropped.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2193 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NickESB wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

I get a lot of grief in the Queen forums for saying you have to be there in person to fully appreciate the experience! And that no matter what they play, they are “magnificent!”

However, my problem with this show remains: 20 songs performed at the O2 last night also appeared in the set for the 2015-01-18 show - nearly three years ago.

Furthermore, the lighting/screen visuals etc for those remains largely unchanged. Same goes for Adam's tribute to Freddie/band introductions, and Brian's "good evening London folks/can't believe we're here doing this" etc speeches.

Yes, I know Queen tours weren't known for massive setlist changes. But from tour to tour there were more changes than this. I think about that brilliant Works tour set - the 1986 staging was vastly removed from that the next time they went on the road.

The whole NOTW branding really irritates me, too. They're playing one more (and only half of it) track from that album than they did in 2015. Heck, the 1982 European tour had more than that (four), yet it wasn't branded as such.

FWIW, I think Adam is better than he's ever been. Vocally he's sounding really strong - no mean feat come the end of a tour - and his stage presence is vastly improved. But, and I hate to say it, I was bored a various times during last night's show.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2193 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NickESB wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

SweetCaroline

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

New tweets:

“@adamlambert I came to the #O2 last night with the ‘he’s not freddie’ thoughts in my head. I left in your debt for helping keep Queen alive! Not Freddie ‘no shit’
Well done! Fantastic show! @DrBrianMay @OfficialRMT #queen+Adam Lambert”

“After the huge success of their performance in September of about 85,000 people, it turns out that Queen with solo Adam Lambert will return to a show at Hayarkon Park in Tel Aviv this summer.”

SweetCaroline

SweetCaroline

Bertus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is this an Queen site or Adam Lambert?

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 2176 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NickESB wrote:

SweetCaroline wrote:

They're total copouts.

Does he really think audiences know GDML more than Spread Your Wings?

And if he thinks shows are too long and need to be cut, here's an idea: get rid of your guitar solo. And Roger's drum bit.

Get rid of the AL solo songs. But I bet that never occurred to them.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They did get rid of Adam’s solo songs!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

I LOVE the opening, LOVE Adam singing Killer Queen sitting on Frank with his moving pink eyes instead of on the chaise lounge, love Brian playing his guitar solo perched on the palm of Frank’s boney hand, Frank clapping during Radio GaGa and Frank waving goodbye to the audience before bringing the set back down to the floor of the stage!

Of course you love it all. You stated you thought Frank was the star of the show. I feel like Frank is a gimmick, something I never felt before.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frank is awesome!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

They did get rid of Adam’s solo songs!

I feel the music should be Queen only. Why even add an AL solo song?