Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > QAL in the UK - 11/28 to 12/16

forum rss feed
Author

Bullet with Butterfly Wings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Royalty: 1211 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane wrote:

BWBW: So, can you explain to me how you think AL is riding on Brian and Roger's coattails? It is all good to say it is your opinion, but what is the point of discussing if at the end you always end up saying that it is your opinion and you stand by it just without backing it up?

So, you who have not seen a single show live, no matter what the reason is, think you have a better idea of how the show was live than someone who was actually there? How does that make sense? I know you have your reason for not going and that you have your opinion by watching the shows on YouTube and hearing the stream...and that you feel you can't be proven wrong...but these people who tweet were there live and actually saw the show and were raving about it and no, these were not tweets by Glamberts but by long-term Queen fans who were originally skeptical of Adam. And somehow to you, these tweets' opinions are somehow invalid? Why? Because they shower Adam with praise? I ask again how does that make sense? And what about the almost unanimous praise AL gets from the reviews this time around? These are not valid as well because they do not match yours? There is opinion and there are facts. You can have your opinion that this tour is not as good, that there is not enough rehearsal that somehow Adam does not care...but the fact remains, almost everyone who has actually seen the show live is saying the exact contrary.

And how does Brian's problems tonight have anything to do with my discussion with you? How is my saying Adam does not ride on Brian & Roger's coattails because he works so damn hard himself by delivering almost perfect performances every single night have anything to do with Brian not feeling well tonight and pulling through? Did I ever say that Brian & Roger are not talented and professional? If you need to know, yes I do have a lot of respect for Brian and Roger. They are passionate about their art and are extremely talented and professional. And they wrote some damn good songs. They are as integral to the show as Adam. And to play at the level that they are playing at their age is nothing short of extraordinary. I enjoy B & R's solo parts in the show just as much as I enjoy Adam's. And I will always be grateful to them for recognizing Adam's talent and chosing Adam to tour with them.

i have no problem with people stating their views. My problem is when they are being contradictory. You say you do not expect perfection in a live show and yet how many times did you bring up the fact that Adam messed up the lyrics of BoRhap? Somehow, you think it was ok when Freddie often did it and he wrote these songs! It is ok for Adele to mess up so evidently two years in a row at the Grammys but it is not ok when Adam does it? So he messes up the lyrics of BoRhap three days in a row but what about the 20+ other songs he gets right every single night since 2012? How is that being fair towards Adam? I don't mind opinions that are different from mine but not when they are so evidently tainted with bias.


Apologies, I took a heavy duty pain medication, and I'm badly messing up the quoting somehow.
Another try...
As long as AL is putting his solo career on the back burner, and touring with Brian and Roger, yes, I feel like AL is riding on their coattails. I don't think AL would be able to sell out Wembley with his solo music. Right now, I say AL is basking in the praise and attention Q+AL has given him. That may or may not affect his solo music, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't influence it somehow. Fair enough, I will give it to AL he has worked his butt off during this tour. It's not my favorite Q+AL tour honestly, because I feel so much is missing, and Frank, the lights and gimmicks cannot make up for that, IMO.
I've never stated watching the streams is the same as being there. Not sure if you are getting me mixed up with someone else.
I've never said Freddie never messed up during live shows. You can look here and on QOL if you think you could find proof of my ever stating that Freddie messing up never happened, or I thought it was ok. Freddie had alot more to be concerned with than just singing, he also played piano to name one example. Plus some Queen tours and shows were especially grueling for many reasons. I think of the last European tour in 1986, and I can't help but get a pang because it was the last tour Freddie ever did.
Even here, it can't be helped but to praise AL as almost perfect, how many times he got things right, etc. Yea, I damn well would think Brian and Roger are integral to these shows, as it's their blood sweat and tears for 99% of the songs. DOOL and LOML will always be the most emotional and stand out songs for me. And I won't apologise for being a Queen fan first.
As for Adele messing up. I can understand why she did at the Brit Awards. She dearly loved and has much respect for George Michael, and emotion got the best of her. She wanted to start over, and she did. She actually pulled it off, and credit to her for that.
Some like Q+AL shows, some don't. I guess I'm in between because I feel and I stated these shows could have been better, if even a couple of hidden gems in the Q catalogue were played and actually kept throughout this tour. I had my hopes that three songs in particular would be included especially the UK shows. Had two songs not at all, another song only twice. And yes, I absolutely feel that's a shame and missed opportunities. Yes, could do without the bike, the 'banter', the crawling around. When I tune in these shows, I admit, it's mainly for Brian and Roger. So the people who tweet glowing things about the show, should that mean I keep my views to myself? Not gonna happen. I think it's very hard to break any sort of rule here, even if there are any rules. What I'm saying about AL not caring, seemed to have been lazy by messing up BR is not against anything that I'm aware of. Yet, Glamberts are here to defend the guy. I never understood that, and I don't think I ever can, because he has made it clear that he doesn't give TwoFux anymore.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Royalty: 1211 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someonewholikesadam...Liliane and I have crossed paths in the online sense before ;-).

Liliane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bwbw: thanks for taking the time to reply to me but I don't think you understand my point. I am not praising Adam. I am simply stating a fact. Vocally, he IS perfect every single night. Not only that, he actually improves from tour to tour and from performance to performance. Ask any singer or musician, they will tell you how hard and taxing it is to sing like Adam Lambert. Nobody really sings like him because not many people can. Not my opinion but a fact once again.

I understand some Queen fans might not like him, he is too Broadway, sings too clean, too theatrical...those are opinions and preferences. And it is fine, some people like apples, some like oranges. But to call Adam lazy just because he messed up some lyrics while giving the pass to your fave artists who do the same is just hypocritical. Anyway, at least you do now admit that he is working his butt off on this tour. And you can rejoice, Adam is not putting his solo career on the backburner, his album will prob come out next year and he's been juggling both QAL duties and focusing on writing his next album this year. Why should he stop? People want to hear Brian, Roger and him. That is why they have been touring non-stop these last couple of years. And he is as much a part of this success as B & R. So no, he is not riding on their coattails because as Brian said, these tours would not have happened without him. He was the missing ingredient and not a worthless tag-along. QAL won't last forever, as much I was pissed that they dropped SYW and IL, I will go to see them again and again even without these songs. They are just too good together. I hope they make an album together. Not making an album would be a huge missed opportunity because there is just incredible chemistry between the three.

Someonewholikesadam: you may have a point but I still can't resist :)

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 215 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just my two penneth. Saw QAL for the first time live a couple of weeks ago and the show was awesome. I've seen vids online since seeing the show and regarding Adam's antics onstage - sitting on the robot, the speech, costume changes and especially GDML crawling around on the floor it can all look a bit over the top, but in the live show it just works. It's not up in your face and it just flows as part of the show and doesn't seem anywhere near as overdone as it might from a vid. It also gets laughs and the audience onside and loving it.

My impression of Adam from seeing the show and the vids is, he takes what he's doing, the singing, theatricality and putting on a show seriously, but doesn't take himself seriously at all, but I don't get the impression he's coasting. He puts everything into his performance and it's clear he loves working with Queen. I definitely don't get the impression he doesn't care - entirely the opposite.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Royalty: 1211 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane wrote:

Bwbw: thanks for taking the time to reply to me but I don't think you understand my point. I am not praising Adam. I am simply stating a fact. Vocally, he IS perfect every single night. Not only that, he actually improves from tour to tour and from performance to performance. Ask any singer or musician, they will tell you how hard and taxing it is to sing like Adam Lambert. Nobody really sings like him because not many people can. Not my opinion but a fact once again.

I understand some Queen fans might not like him, he is too Broadway, sings too clean, too theatrical...those are opinions and preferences. And it is fine, some people like apples, some like oranges. But to call Adam lazy just because he messed up some lyrics while giving the pass to your fave artists who do the same is just hypocritical. Anyway, at least you do now admit that he is working his butt off on this tour. And you can rejoice, Adam is not putting his solo career on the backburner, his album will prob come out next year and he's been juggling both QAL duties and focusing on writing his next album this year. Why should he stop? People want to hear Brian, Roger and him. That is why they have been touring non-stop these last couple of years. And he is as much a part of this success as B & R. So no, he is not riding on their coattails because as Brian said, these tours would not have happened without him. He was the missing ingredient and not a worthless tag-along. QAL won't last forever, as much I was pissed that they dropped SYW and IL, I will go to see them again and again even without these songs. They are just too good together. I hope they make an album together. Not making an album would be a huge missed opportunity because there is just incredible chemistry between the three.

Someonewholikesadam: you may have a point but I still can't resist :)




Bullet with Butterfly Wings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Royalty: 1211 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane wrote:

Bwbw: thanks for taking the time to reply to me but I don't think you understand my point. I am not praising Adam. I am simply stating a fact. Vocally, he IS perfect every single night. Not only that, he actually improves from tour to tour and from performance to performance. Ask any singer or musician, they will tell you how hard and taxing it is to sing like Adam Lambert. Nobody really sings like him because not many people can. Not my opinion but a fact once again.

I understand some Queen fans might not like him, he is too Broadway, sings too clean, too theatrical...those are opinions and preferences. And it is fine, some people like apples, some like oranges. But to call Adam lazy just because he messed up some lyrics while giving the pass to your fave artists who do the same is just hypocritical. Anyway, at least you do now admit that he is working his butt off on this tour. And you can rejoice, Adam is not putting his solo career on the backburner, his album will prob come out next year and he's been juggling both QAL duties and focusing on writing his next album this year. Why should he stop? People want to hear Brian, Roger and him. That is why they have been touring non-stop these last couple of years. And he is as much a part of this success as B & R. So no, he is not riding on their coattails because as Brian said, these tours would not have happened without him. He was the missing ingredient and not a worthless tag-along. QAL won't last forever, as much I was pissed that they dropped SYW and IL, I will go to see them again and again even without these songs. They are just too good together. I hope they make an album together. Not making an album would be a huge missed opportunity because there is just incredible chemistry between the three.

Someonewholikesadam: you may have a point but I still can't resist :)

Apologies again, I'm not at my best tonight :/.
If AL was vocally perfect in every way, would he mess up Bohemian Rhapsody three nights in a row? I don't think so. The reason I call hm lazy for that, is because he didn't fix it, start over, yes I even had the impression he didn't care enough about getting it right.
Adele I guess is the latest comparsion to AL. Yes, again she messed up too. AL has had years of singing Bohemian Rhapsody under his belt. George Michael's passing was very recent and raw at the time Adele sang Fast Love at the Brit Awards. If you think I'm being a hypocrite by giving her a pass during that, so be it. I've never denied she messed up. However, she did start over, she did pull it off and I absolutely get why it was so emotional for her. So, yes, she gets a pass from me. She was very real and raw and she usually was, and I respect her all the more for it.
Yes, AL has been working his ass off. I think Brian and Roger have been too, maybe even more so. My heart actually sank a bit reading one of Brian's recent posts. And you are right, Q+AL will not last forever.
I don't know what AL's solo career will be like. I hope he doesn't burn himself out.
As for a Q+AL album. Touring is one thing, recording an album is another of course. I have a feeling that Brian doesn't want to record an album, but those who follow Brian knows his views can change and suddenly. Who knows what can happen in the future. Frankly, Brian and Roger is possibly involved with other music as well, Brian with Kerry Ellis for example. I don't think he is ready to shelve that collaboration just yet. Then there is his animal rights advocacy, that's very important to him. What I'm trying to say, is Brian has many things other than Q+AL tours.
Queen's music has lasted years before AL ever hit the public eye. It will last after Q+AL is over. That's down to Freddie, Brian, Roger and John. Their music. Their guts and determination. I tune in for Q+AL mainly for the two guys who brought the music to life for years, decades in some cases. So, I have more than a pang when I think it could be better if Brian and Roger dug deeper in the Queen catalogue. DOOL was a lovely, honest raw way for two friends to pay tribute to another two friends. My main issue with this tour is because of what wasn't played or shown. The lights, Frank, etc, cannot make it up for me.
Just to be clear, I've never knocked anyone for going to Q+AL shows, or knocked those who didn't go. I think we are all entitled to say how we feel if we wish. Free world and all that.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4905 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know why you bother. Your comments are perfectly reasonably but even qualified praise for Lambert won't be enough for the Stepbert harpies. Only gushing hyperbole will do: he's the greatest singer, the setlist is great ... and so on. It's like being in a cult, albeit one with a limited shelf life.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
NickESB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

It’s a teaser of WWRY followed by HTF.


In relation to our conversation, you're wrong. Phoenix opening night had full WWRY to open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Tlor5u-Co

Encore was SYW --> WATC.

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did Adele stop and start over during a GM tribute at the Brit Awards, too? I saw her do that at the Grammys this year!

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam didn’t stop and start over when he messed up the BoRhap lyrics because the QAL show is like a musical production rather than a singer standing at a mic. I don’t think he was being lazy or uncaring. He was trained to carry on if there is a mishap because “the show must go on!” He sang through a bunch of electrical failures on his solo tour when there were loud bangs going off periodically. Thank God it wasn’t gunfire!

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like Freddie, Adam is a performer and entertainer, not just a singer, who puts his whole self into expressing and interpreting a song and I think that is why there is such a good chemistry between him and the composers of the amazing Queen songs!

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

“There's something about Wembley Arena. The ol' place is a bit creaky but I'm glad it's still ...... Bri”

Read his whole comment here:

http://www.instagram.com/p/BcxKXlODnvU/

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2TlorSu-Co

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NickESB, I can’t get your Phoenix link to work and I can’t find another one.

Liliane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rockchic65: Thank you for your viewpoint. That is exactly what I mean, live is very different from watching vids on YouTube. Adam is also a very hardworking artist. The man works like non-stop and he always gives 100%. He might have his brain fart moments like we all do, notably some lyric fails over the years (he has had some on his own solo tours as well) but vocally he's always been top shape.

I am aware that some will still dislike Adam or his antics once they see QAL live and that is fine. We all have our preferences. But from everything that I have read, all the feedback has been overwhelming positive. So the majority of people who attend these concerts are very happy with their experience.

I can understand why the hardcore fans might be disappointed with the setlist, I feel the same way. Reading Brian's explanations, I understand where they are coming from but i still think they should have thrown the loyal/hardcore fans a bone. Anyway, hopefully Brian feels better soon. At least there is only one concert left, poor him.

BWBW: As for Adele, i have nothing against her. I think she is very talented and I do like many of her songs. I just did not like her tribute to GM. I thought it was not a proposed tribute because instead of highlighting GM, she made it all about her. It was not a tribute to GM, it was Adele's version of a GM song. I also heard that at the beginning it was supposed to be a tribute with many artists but she asked that she be the only one doing it. And to top it off, she did not do it properly, had to restart. The first time I did a concert as a little kid playing the piano, my teacher told me that remember, even if you mess up, never stop playing. That is what being a professional is all about. I also really disliked Lady GaGa's tribute to David Bowie. Once again, it was all about her and not him. Of all the high profile tributes. I thought Bruno Mars's tribute to Prince was really good. Of the smaller ones, I really like Adam's tribute to GM, especially his performance of one more try. But then again, that should not come as a surprise since I am a Glambert. Have you seen it? You might like it, just emotional singing, no antics. Anyway. I disgress. Let's just agree to disagree.

Liliane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry for the typos, it should be a "proper tribute" and I digress...

As for a QAL album, it would be great. I agree with you BWBW that Brian seems to be the most hesitant. Adam is also ambivalent. Roger seems to be ready for it. I just think it is a waste that apart from TCR, Brian & Roger never wrote together as Queen again. I love both of their songwriting. Brian's songwriting seems to fit Adam in particular: save me, show must go on, wwtlf...one of my favorite Queen songs is Brian song: White Queen, so beautiful.

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane, I love your responses. I have been saying for years that Adam’s Live performances are better than his studio recordings. Here is the latest tweet from Brian. He says he is feeling better:

“One more time ! All set !ready to rock ONE MORE TIME ! Eek ! I'm getting nostalgic already. I'm feeling much better today—might even have some semblance of a voice! Let’s go dear ol’ folks of Birmingham! Bri”

Read the comment from the fan who saw the show 7 times!

http://www.instagram.com/p/BcxXfT8Aq-b/

SweetCaroline user is on Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1614 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Birmingham soundcheck video from Bri:

http://www.instagram.com/p/BcxXfT8Aq-b/

Bullet with Butterfly Wings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Royalty: 1211 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

I don't know why you bother. Your comments are perfectly reasonably but even qualified praise for Lambert won't be enough for the Stepbert harpies. Only gushing hyperbole will do: he's the greatest singer, the setlist is great ... and so on. It's like being in a cult, albeit one with a limited shelf life.


Right on. It's funny when some Glamberts try to turn the tables on Queen fans. I haven't even read anything offensive about AL in ages.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Royalty: 1211 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Adam didn’t stop and start over when he messed up the BoRhap lyrics because the QAL show is like a musical production rather than a singer standing at a mic. I don’t think he was being lazy or uncaring. He was trained to carry on if there is a mishap because “the show must go on!” He sang through a bunch of electrical failures on his solo tour when there were loud bangs going off periodically. Thank God it wasn’t gunfire!


Gee, you always have a defense at the ready for him, don't you? Does he pay you to mother hen him or something?
Yea, he looked and sounded lazy and uncaring when he messed up. He didn't admit to it, so until now, you couldn't even admit he messed up. Take your blinders off, you were unable to admit he messed it up until this post. Would it hurt you, his career, or him to know he messed up? I think to you he never can do no wrong... that is actually very unsettling. The way you excuse it because 'the show must go on'.