forum rss feed
Author

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Royalty: 1527 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Did Adele stop and start over during a GM tribute at the Brit Awards, too? I saw her do that at the Grammys this year!

She messed up Fast Love, at the Grammys correct. My bad, I had the wrong award show in mind.
See, I can admit to messing up. I admitted she messed up, but my point still stands.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane wrote:

Rockchic65: Thank you for your viewpoint. That is exactly what I mean, live is very different from watching vids on YouTube. Adam is also a very hardworking artist. The man works like non-stop and he always gives 100%. He might have his brain fart moments like we all do, notably some lyric fails over the years (he has had some on his own solo tours as well) but vocally he's always been top shape.

I am aware that some will still dislike Adam or his antics once they see QAL live and that is fine. We all have our preferences. But from everything that I have read, all the feedback has been overwhelming positive. So the majority of people who attend these concerts are very happy with their experience.

I can understand why the hardcore fans might be disappointed with the setlist, I feel the same way. Reading Brian's explanations, I understand where they are coming from but i still think they should have thrown the loyal/hardcore fans a bone. Anyway, hopefully Brian feels better soon. At least there is only one concert left, poor him.

BWBW: As for Adele, i have nothing against her. I think she is very talented and I do like many of her songs. I just did not like her tribute to GM. I thought it was not a proposed tribute because instead of highlighting GM, she made it all about her. It was not a tribute to GM, it was Adele's version of a GM song. I also heard that at the beginning it was supposed to be a tribute with many artists but she asked that she be the only one doing it. And to top it off, she did not do it properly, had to restart. The first time I did a concert as a little kid playing the piano, my teacher told me that remember, even if you mess up, never stop playing. That is what being a professional is all about. I also really disliked Lady GaGa's tribute to David Bowie. Once again, it was all about her and not him. Of all the high profile tributes. I thought Bruno Mars's tribute to Prince was really good. Of the smaller ones, I really like Adam's tribute to GM, especially his performance of one more try. But then again, that should not come as a surprise since I am a Glambert. Have you seen it? You might like it, just emotional singing, no antics. Anyway. I disgress. Let's just agree to disagree.

George Michael's family asked Adele to sing. Adele didn't ask, but she was very involved with it.
I'm a big George Michael fan. I'm a big Adele fan. So she messed up...started over. No big deal...only to the Glamberts who try to big up AL by saying another artist messed up too, so that can deflect from AL. I never thought Adele's performance was all about her, but a Glambert would say that because it wasn't AL singing it.
Oh and let's not forget, AL sang a George Michael cover song too! Any reason to put that into the discussion.Yep, I've seen it.

OwenSmith user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 507 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was at the Wembley show, I thought it was great. I've been to the Works and Magic tours, Q+AL 2005 at the O2 and now this one. I thought they played plenty of songs that haven't been done for years, and there were a number of old faithfuls that were absent to make room. I thought they struck that balance rather well, enough hits for casual fans to like and enough rarely performed stuff.

I was between a swiss lady and a brazillian lady who now lives in London. Neither had ever seen Queen live before in any form, but the brazillian had grown up with all the songs on the radio. How would they have felt if there were not many hits in the set?

Anyway, I had a great night, I came here to report on it and hoped to see plenty of others loving it and streams etc, and I find nothing except an argument. Typical queenzone these days.

NickESB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OwenSmith wrote:

How would they have felt if there were not many hits in the set?

As I and others have said on previously, we're not arguing for a full performance of Queen and Queen II. We realise that certain songs - Bo Rhap, WWRY, WATC - are going to be in every show.

Our issue is with how repetitive Q+AL shows are. Compare London O2 shows in January 2015 and December 2016: nigh on 80% of the set was the same. Of those "new" songs, Bicycle Race is a minute extract, GDML is cut short and I'm In Love With My Car has been played a lot during the Q+ years.

Adam and Brian's main speeches are incredibly similar to those in 2015, too. Heck, Brian's been saying "he can't believe he's in XXX after all these years" for over a decade now, essentially.

The way they dropped It's Late and Spread Your Wings after a few US shows was a disgrace. Have some balls, play a couple more lesser-known tracks.

Drop those in for the drum solo and Brian's 10-minute indulgence slot and nobody would have left Wembley on Friday night bemoaning their inclusion.

To be honest, even if they played 12 hits - say, AOBTD/KQ/DSMN/IWIA/STL/UP/IWTBF/AKOM/GaGa/Bo Rhap/WWRY/WATC from the current set - I reckon they'd have room for six or seven deeper cuts.

But (1) because they don't want to rehearse and (2) they've not got the nerve to test their audiences anymore, we're essentially seeing the same show that we got three years ago.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Royalty: 1859 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a fabulous show and fabulous audience in Birmingham today and people from all over the world chiming in on the live video feed by Andrew!

SweetCaroline

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Naysayers need to STFU !!!!!

BYE !!!!!

SweetCaroline

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One more for the road:

Adam Lambert's Instagram post "Thank you United Kingdom, Ireland and Europe for an amazing TOUR!!!! We love you all!!!! @QueenWillRock #qal"

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bcx7CdxAsuc/

Kuijpy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The end of sweetcaroline. Rip

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Naysayers need to STFU !!!!!

BYE !!!!!

Oh dear. That didn't take long.
On your say so? No thanks.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

One more for the road:

Adam Lambert's Instagram post "Thank you United Kingdom, Ireland and Europe for an amazing TOUR!!!! We love you all!!!! @QueenWillRock #qal"

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bcx7CdxAsuc/

Yep, your byes sure last a while *sarcasm*.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kuijpy wrote:

The end of sweetcaroline. Rip

I don't say she will stick around to talk about Queen with Freddie, unless it's comparing it to AL...nah.
She will find something to bring up about AL. Let's just hope it's not his flight details this time ;-).
She has nine days until her ban from QOL is over. I bet she can't wait to get back. Wonder if she will blame me for her ban like she has here?

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NickESB wrote:

OwenSmith wrote:

How would they have felt if there were not many hits in the set?

As I and others have said on previously, we're not arguing for a full performance of Queen and Queen II. We realise that certain songs - Bo Rhap, WWRY, WATC - are going to be in every show.

Our issue is with how repetitive Q+AL shows are. Compare London O2 shows in January 2015 and December 2016: nigh on 80% of the set was the same. Of those "new" songs, Bicycle Race is a minute extract, GDML is cut short and I'm In Love With My Car has been played a lot during the Q+ years.

Adam and Brian's main speeches are incredibly similar to those in 2015, too. Heck, Brian's been saying "he can't believe he's in XXX after all these years" for over a decade now, essentially.

The way they dropped It's Late and Spread Your Wings after a few US shows was a disgrace. Have some balls, play a couple more lesser-known tracks.

Drop those in for the drum solo and Brian's 10-minute indulgence slot and nobody would have left Wembley on Friday night bemoaning their inclusion.

To be honest, even if they played 12 hits - say, AOBTD/KQ/DSMN/IWIA/STL/UP/IWTBF/AKOM/GaGa/Bo Rhap/WWRY/WATC from the current set - I reckon they'd have room for six or seven deeper cuts.

But (1) because they don't want to rehearse and (2) they've not got the nerve to test their audiences anymore, we're essentially seeing the same show that we got three years ago.

Thanks Nick. Absolutely agree.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 17, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane Thanks for your reply.

I was a bit bummed when they dropped SYW & IL after a few shows, but to be honest once at the show I never even noticed, I was just caught up in it and it flew by. I think with vids of every show being on youtube and some people watching stuff from all the previous tours it makes it seem like it's a boring set list, but in the past you would just go to a gig and not have all the rest to watch in between. I purposely didn't watch any of them before the show so it would all be new to me.

Yeah Adam has lyric fails with his own stuff sometimes and he just carries on but it's obvious he knows from his expressions. I think it would draw more attention to it if you started again, certainly during an actual gig, and logistically it wouldn't work. Adele doing the George Michael tribute was a different situation.

I'm so glad I got to see them this time around, who knows how long they can keep touring for but I hope they do at least another go round, one definitely wasn't enough. As for White Queen, one of my favourite Queen songs ever, I'd really love to hear them do that one.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dr. Bri likes it, too:

“Gotta love it ...! Thanks guys. Bri”

http://www.instagram.com/p/BcyT2Jcj4fW/

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5002 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Need to draw Lambert a bit wider than that. More like a Teletubby with a designer beard.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Liliane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BWBW: Maybe you should heed your own advice and respect people's opinions for what they are when they don't match yours. You're an Adele fan so you did not like it when I said something less than complimentary about her so you resort to the old, "you're a Glambert so everything you say that is negative about another artist is always because you want to defend him, big him up yada yada yada..." The last I checked, this is not an Adele fan board. Since you are incapable of a civil discussion, I will stop discussing with you. News flash, Glamberts are all individuals and our opinions are not beneath yours just because we happen to like Adam Lambert. I'll leave you to your kingdom here.

Rockchic65: I agree with you that time always fly by in a QAL concert and you always enjoy yourself. Don't get me wrong, I still love the concerts and would go again in a heartbeat but after having seen them three times with almost identical set lists, I was pretty excited about the new songs so I was pretty pissed when they dropped IL and SYW just a few shows before mine. I do agree with NickESB on this one as much as I love QAL. Maybe it is because this is your first time, that is why whatever they sing, will still be great :) you have great discipline though. I am totally unable to resist peeking into the set and what they will sing on YouTube :) you'll see what I mean when it is your third or fourth time watching them :) what were the highlights of the show for you?

OwenSmith: Glad you enjoyed the show! I heard Wembley was a really really great show! On a QAL tour, all the shows are good but there are a few that are particularly special and Wembley 2017 was one so lucky you! I was at Wembley 2015, it was my first time watching QAL and it was just awesome because they sang so many songs then! We got TSMGO and Dragon Attack! I think the show lasted 2:40 minutes :) So what were the highlights of the show for you?

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liliane Yeah I agree being the first and only show I went to I was just happy to be seeing them and hearing the music I love. I imagine if I'd been to several shows I would feel the same, that the set list needs a bit of a shake up.

I loved the whole thing but if I had to pick out some highlights one would be Brian & Roger singing DOOL. I was at the Liverpool show, so one of the lucky one's who got this one and it was lovely, especially with all the footage of Freddie and the band on the screens, really moving. Brian sang you've got to hide your love away as well as LOML which was another special moment. I feel lucky I went to Liverpool. WWTLF is one of my favourite songs and Adam really nails that, it's breathtaking and I loved STL and the banter before it, Brian & Adam were very cute and funny. UP was really good, I'd seen vids from other years shows and the sound is never great, it almost sounds like they lose power and it fades in and out a bit but live it was so good, way better than I expected. Roger doing IILWMC was great as well. The staging of the show was really good, I can't fault it really it was just brilliant.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is totally off topic except for the discussion about fans. Last night I watched an excellent documentary on Showtime about the band RUSH and their OTT fans since the ‘70’s and how heartbroken they were at their last live show in L.A. They are in their 60’s and due to some health problems (mainly the drummer Neal Peart) they probably won’t tour anymore. Some of their diehard fans have been to over 100 live shows. I have been to 3 QAL live shows and 4 solo Adam live shows. So when “Icy” constantly attacks me for “bigging up” and “defending” Adam and being an OTT Adam and QAL fan, I say “TS, lady!” I am mild compared to RUSH fans and probably Freddie fans if he were still alive and still performing!

SweetCaroline

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’m so happy for him - Dr. Bri is having a wonderful family day today:

“Of all the places to find myself ... of all the theatres in all the world ... ! “

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bcz5uxvjQKi/

“Ouch !!!!! I'm wrecked. I've been in tears 15 times already, for a multitude of reasons, and… “

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bc0C4i_DrJy/

Bertus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 17, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And thats the end of this section!