Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Check out "Clarification of Thor Arnold's relationship with Freddie". It's another 113 pages...sorry.It's a long read.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oops, queenfan09, I meant.

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, where is that, 'clarification' thread?

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Under the search menu just put in Thor Arnold and you should see it.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

How exciting…did not realize you were looking internationally for publishers, but of course, that makes complete sense. You have a ton of good wish vibes coming from all over…a multi-country YEAH!!!

To submit a full manuscript to a publisher are you actually sending them a paper copy you have printed out, an SD card, or do you download your manuscript directly to the publisher? There is probably an obvious answer to this, but I have no idea.

Looking ahead....Do you and Lee get to design a cover for the book or offer suggestions, or is that something the publisher does and you won't have a part in?

Zori user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

raucousmonster wrote:

I love the idea of Freddie being too shy to approach someone in a club. It's just one more endearing thing about him. Mind you, as someone else pointed out here already there's nothing shy about walking up to Jim and demanding to know how big his member was. Maybe the showbiz sherbet gave him extra confidence that night. ;)

yea, this is good point. How this shy man went so directly to Jim ?

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome ForFreddie! I think we’ve all felt like chopped liver at one point or another in this forum, but I’m pretty sure it’s because of the setup and not anyone intentionally ignoring. Sometimes posts get lost in other posts and it’s hard to go back and figure out where to start replying. You can always ask again if you don’t get a reply the first time!

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope Thor doesn't mind, but I had to share the news. As some of you know, I run a Queen themed page on a few social media sites. Anyway I use our largest page (Instagram) to promote things I believe in and support. One being the book from Thor and Lee. Recently I put a Queen and Freddie Merch pack together for a giveaway on the site and let people know any donation to the Mercury Phoenix Trust will get their names added to the raffle 5 times for a better chance to win. Included in the giveaway pack are 2 vintage shirts (plus 2 non vintage), 2 books- Peter Freestone's Freddie Mercury and Jim Hutton's Mercury and Me, a 20 pack of The Tea Book's Freddie themed tea (Bohemian Raspberry) and decorative Freddie sticker. The giveaway closes February 25th and I'm pleased to say that after only 5 days, we've donated well over $100 to the MPT. I'm thrilled!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs9T1cihzNH/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1vks9yim9lg8r

But I bring this up because I know some of you donated to Thor and Lee's GoFundMe page and entered to win our Freddie LED lamp and I wanted to let everyone know that's also still open. Thor and Lee have raised the goal on GFM, and I'm keeping an eye on it. I'll announce the winner once we make our goal!

I didn't want anyone to think I forgot about the GFM raffle while this other giveaway is happening.

I got a few hundred messages from fans who want us to do a live chat about the New York Daughters since I brought you and Lee up on a recent live. I'll have to reread the threads again to gather up info, but if there's any message you or Lee would like me to tell the fans during that live, lemme know!

Attachment: 20191271655911537.jpg 477 KB
This has been downloaded 47 time(s).

queenfan09 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the welcome Thor! I'll go find that thread and finish catching up - sorry, I couldn't figure out how to show I'm replying to a specific post.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie, I debated about weighing in on Mary because I don't want to see anything negative erupt here, but I like her. I take what I think about her from Freddie and his twenty year association with her. If you read "Freddie Mercury His Life In His Own Words", the chapter that addresses Mary is short but very loving. I know some things that happened after his death seem negative, but he did provide for all three Garden Lodge men, including a home in Ireland for Jim. From what I've read, the probate laws in GB are the reason for some of what happened. I also think people deal with grief in very personal ways and sometimes the actions surrounding the death of a loved one are not what a person might normally do. I feel sure Jim Beach would have informed Freddie in great detail about his will, so I have to trust that what happened was expected by Freddie.

Lee had some very positive words about Mary a few pages back, and both Thor and Lee always remark on how important Mary was to Freddie. In her defense, I have to say that were you to meet me in person, you might be surprised at how quiet I can be if I am with people I don't know well. I'm very shy and often contribute little to a conversation because I feel that what I have to say might be inadequate or unimportant. My extreme quiet would have nothing to do with lack of interest in what people were saying, be they gay or straight. It's just who I am in certain situations. Having said that, if I am comfortable with you, then there's no shutting me up. I've actually been asked if I have an "off" button. Freddie said Mary was shy and quiet and many interviews with people who knew them say the same thing. I give her the benefit of the doubt.

I also give Freddie the benefit of the doubt for having relationships he enjoyed that don't always make sense to me. Mary does make sense. However I have to remind myself that Freddie liked Peter Straker, Barbara Valentin and Paul Prenter, and what I may think of any of them is unimportant. Freddie was a strong individual with strong likes and who he loved/liked or had any relationship with has to be trusted by those of us looking on from the outside. He was a strong personality and I'm just happy he had people in his life who loved him.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Villiers, I'm not on Instagram, though I do peek in at your page once in a while. Very clever! I'm always interested in those live chats you mention. Am I right in assuming that the only way to access those is to get an Instagram account? I'm not likely to do that because it would be one more piece added to the screen time I already indulge in too frequently. Have you ever considered doing them on YouTube?? Since I already access YouTube it wouldn't really be an addition to my screen addiction, or so I'd like to tell myself..

ForFreddie

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Jim already had his home in Ireland?

I had already expressed my thoughts on Mary, in another thread, but thought if I could get some insight from someone who was actually there, I could lay it all to rest, once and for all.

I know it's probably a touchy subject, but, I do believe I got the answer I already knew to be true, it was actually, solidified for me.....I'll let the matter drop now.

You're right, no matter what happened, Freddie was happy, at least he seemed to be, so that's all that should matter....no matter what. Correct?

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie, have you read Mercury and Me by Jim Hutton? He talks about designing the house in Ireland with Freddie before he died. Though Freddie never saw the house, I believe he financed it. It has been a while since I read the book.

ForFreddie

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy....no, I haven't, I just thought I'd read somewhere that Jim had a house in Ireland, some interview that now, I don't remember who was doing the talking.

I'll have to locate all of those books, they sound like good reads.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow,
99% of the publishers so far have a submission download box along with instructions on what they would like to see included and how it should be presented (which is the hard part).

As far as the cover goes, our idea is for the picture Lee took of all the four" daughters" surrounding "mother" Freddie on an elegant stairway in the lobby of Freddie's hotel, circa 1981. It is one of our best photos! However, when we will work with a graphic artist, this could change.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Zori,
Glad you joined us here. I think you will like it. Enjoy!
All the best, Thor and Lee

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A big welcome to ForFreddie, queenfan09, and Zori. Glad you joined us!

ForFreddie...Yes, it might seem like many of us know each other, addressing one another by "name". I think it is just a comfort level we quickly develop once we take the plunge to make that first post. Sometimes that is the hardest part...It definitely was for me. Everyone has their own unique story as to when and why they became a Freddie fan. I value the stories and questions of the new folk equally with the experienced posters...you absolutely do NOT have to be a long time poster to have a voice here. One Freddie fan is as important as the next.

Anniebee is correct...sometimes posts get "lost" in other posts. I've asked questions a second time because often by the time I compose my answer and post it, I am a few pages behind. I also have no idea how to edit my post, or do the reply thing in a box...so queenfan09, I'm right with you on that one.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Villiers,
Are you kidding? I don't mind ANY of your projects and generosity. How fun!...a free Freddie merchandise raffle and money raising for Mercury Phoenix Trust- a great cause. I love it, I love it, I love it.
I am still hoping that the Freddie LED light gets somehow forfeited down to ME!...LOL

ForFreddie

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61.... other forums generally have a feature...'reply with quote,' so I don't know how to directy quote someone here, either.

Thanks for the welcome!

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey ForFreddie, someone else here taught me this trick. If you want to edit your post, or reply with a quote, you can do it. Drag your cursor slowly past the date of the post you want to use in the blank area next to the date. You have to be slow. Three tiny, and I mean tiny, dashes appear. If you rest near each dash, it will tell you what that particular dash allows you to do. I think you will find what you want there.