Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey ForFreddie, someone else here taught me this trick. If you want to edit your post, or reply with a quote, you can do it. Drag your cursor slowly past the date of the post you want to use in the blank area next to the date. You have to be slow. Three tiny, and I mean tiny, dashes appear. If you rest near each dash, it will tell you what that particular dash allows you to do. I think you will find what you want there.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I absolutely love all the interesting conversations happening between our wonderful respondents. Of course, the welcoming committee was not even my idea but is proving to be a great way to make newbies feel perfectly comfortable here. Those people know who they are and I thank you all so much!

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel like Freddie was a part of my life, silly, I know, because I never even met the man.

My daughter and her best friend in highschool, played Bohemian Rhapsody in the car and, did the Mike Meyers thing....as they were driving.

That best friend of my daughter's, looked a lot like Freddie, she also had big front teeth, I remember saying, to my daughter, 'Christy' looks like Freddie Mercury, my daughter laughed, said, " no she doesn't," then came out of her room a few minutes later, with some pictures and said, "OMG, she DOES!"..... She had the same hair style too, the one from the Bohemian Rhapsody days.

To this day, when I see that certain picture of Freddie, I think of 'Christy'..... LOL...

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is so funny! Thanks for sharing that info with us ForFreddie.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember this being discussed earlier either on this thread or Thor’s previous one so sorry if I’m being repetitive but I can’t remember everyone’s thoughts on it. I think I remember reading that Freddie really didn’t work out and I have to wonder if he maybe did a little during the time before Live Aid. His upper body looks more developed to me during that performance but I can’t really tell. I also don’t know if I really see it in any other photos or performances from around the same time. Does anyone else? Maybe just the camera? I love watching the Live Aid clip....for the brilliance of the whole band ....especially Freddie and because he really looks so happy and healthy in it!

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's ask the others.

In New York, Freddie purchased a fancy set of work out weights and machines BUT I never saw him working out and he would joke about how nice it looked but how little he used it. Late '83 to early '85, I do not know if Freddie was able to include working-out in Germany. To me, body-wise, he always looked similar whenever I saw him until, of course, when he seriously started to lose a lot of weight due to his illness.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 20:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looking at pics from Live Aid and pics from other concerts he does look a little more buff in the arms and shoulders. Maybe he was doing a bunch of pushups? Or it could be the outfit and accessories made him look bigger. Most of what I heard is that he did not work out, but who knows.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's not forget about the great cardio-workout he had every time on stage.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe it was the great “cardio workouts” he had with Jim ?!? (Wink wink).

Actually, does anyone know if Jim worked out back then? You know when you’re in a new relationship and you do things the other person shows interest in, maybe that’s what happened.

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I'd like to know things like, what were Freddie's favorite foods, favorite color..was he a Democrat or a Republican, did he like dogs, as well as cats.... people usually want to know about his musical life, his relationships, I want to know the other things, the things that people don't seem to ask about.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie have you read either Peter Freestone, Jim Hutton or David Minns books? May give you some insight. Also Villiers2 has an Instagram she mentioned earlier, she hosts lives and sometimes has an “ask anything” story, she has lots of information on these topics.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, thinking about the pictures you and Lee are putting in this book, what do you have to do to make sure nobody uses them elsewhere? Are y’all considering doing both a hard copy book and an e-book?

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 22:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for the cardio workout....that stage at Wembley was enormous! No wonder he felt exhausted! So awesome that he gave so much of himself.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 22:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers2,
GoFundMe is exploding...are these your followers from your live program that are being so generous?

Posted: 28 Jan 19, 00:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It’s awesome that the GoFundMe has hit its goal! I feel like all of the pieces are falling into place! Woohoo!

thundergod

Posted: 28 Jan 19, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unbelievable!

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 19, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I did get a few people asking for the link over the last 48 hours after I mentioned you guys in passing during a live, but the real boom should come (hopefully) after I do a live entirely about the NY Daughters. During the last live I mentioned John Murphy and named you guys as the sources for my info on that. Just from that alone, everyone wants an episode dedicated to just you guys. I got tons of requests to learn more about you and Lee. The last time I made a post about the GFM, we only had about 4K people. Now we're over 13K so the book definitely needs a proper promo there soon

And to who ever asked (sorry I forget the username!) I do think you would need an account on Instagram to listen to the lives, unfortunately. Instagram only saves our live chats for 24 hours, so a few followers have suggested I use an app to screen record the lives and add them to YouTube, so I may have to break down and try it. I'll definitely keep you updated

thundergod

Posted: 28 Jan 19, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers,
I already reopened my seldom used Instagram account.

When is your next live broadcast?

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 19, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, it's usually held on Fridays or Saturdays at 5pm CST (depending on my schedule) so I'll keep you posted on that. But the NY Daughters live may have to wait until the weekend of the 8th, with all the pages I'll have to reread to gather up info lol. I usually open questions on my page for 24 hours about whatever topic we're covering, and I let the followers ask whatever want to know and with that, I gather info and write up a script to cover all the facts in 60 minutes. Well, 45, so I can give them a few minutes to ask questions live during the chat too. If I can get through the threads faster than originally expected, I'll let you know. I'd love for you to check it out sometime!

THE WINNER OF THE FREDDIE LED LAMP IS KAREN PETZ! I have contacted her to let her know and I really hope she enjoys it. Thank you all for donating to this great cause, and let's keep supporting the boys on this journey. The book is going to be sweet. Much love

thundergod

Posted: 28 Jan 19, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You go Karen...please post a pic of your lamp when you can.