Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey guys, I've just caught up with all the news, and I am so happy that the GoFund campaign has reached its goal! And also, happy to hear that there is a possibility of finding a good publisher for your book. I will keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for you guys. And hurray for Rami's victory!
Hugs to you all! (from the midst of a snowstorm :))

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Back Catus,
We've been missing you!

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Catus, welcome back! Stay safe out there in the snow, it’s not even snowing here and I’m freezing, you must be frozen by now, brrr. :)

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Anniebee,
In my experience, Freddie only went for muscular or burly
men. It is hard for me to believe that Nomi would even have been in a position to reject Freddie. Although someone like Peter Straker was kind of fem, none of Freddie's dates ever were. Of course, I don't know what happened in Munich but his taste probably went out the window when he invited Barbara Valentin into his life.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, it wasn’t Nomi it was a guy named Man Parrish. I’ve never heard of him but apparently he was big into the new wave scene in NY in the 80s. He talked about meeting him at either the Eagle or the Spike.

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops, my bad! Sorry, Anniebee I think I am running a computer fever since I've been on it all week.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha Thor, no problem. Did you guys go to the Eagle or the Spike with Freddie ?

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way, I have a vinyl record from Mann Parrish (Man is spelled Mann according to the album cover) and it was one of my favorites in the eighties!

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Eagle and the Spike were always starting bars, because Joe S. and John M. lived near that area. Freddie did come with us a few times. He preferred Uncle Charlie's Downtown in the West Village and Ty's (which I revisited the last time I was in New York and it was exactly the same as it was 40 years ago...LOL

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was going to be my next question, are some of these bars still around? I’m sure there’s a lot of history there.

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No more Spike or Eagle...no more Uncle Charlie's. The only remnant from the past is Ty's and the piano bar I worked in starting in 1973, Marie's Crisis- that also is completely unchanged. When I was there last December I had fun pointing out to the very Broadway type crowd, the exact table and the exact seat that Steven Sondheim sat in 40 years ago.It was the same table and the same chair, in the same location...LOL

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome back Cactus! We are about to dip into the coldest air we've had in 14 years. I'm ready for this to be over. Then again I'm planning to reread some of my Freddie books, so it will be nice to hunker down in a warm house and indulge.

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HaHa, Katydyd...

A cactus has thorns
Catus does not...I don't think?

Just joking with you.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha Thor, too funny!

In Katydyd’s defense I always read it as Cactus too lol

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha Thor ) yes, it happens sometimes, when people read it as "cactus"
It actually comes from my childhood nickname "Kot" (a cat in Russian)... Also, I used to study Latin long long ago...
And I love cats very much!

Thanks guys, great to see you too! We're staying home, enjoying a beautiful winter view. A Winter's Tale! )

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You, who knew Freddie, who actually were part of his life, are so lucky.

I wish I could have met him, but, that would have been more than impossible, it would have been an honor, though.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HeyThor and Lee!

I cannot tell you how chuffed I am that you have got a publisher hooked who REALY seems interested in your book! That's lovely. And here in good old England, too!

Finally some people with taste and appreciation for a good idea have become involved!

BTW on BBC Radio 4 last week was broadcast a programme called Great Lives,xwhich examines the lives of great people chosen by a special guest. Matt Lucas chose our Freddie! He was interviewed along with Lesley-Ann Jones!!! She's still perpetuating the myth that Jer was 18 when she had Freddie! (she was 24) but that aside it was quite nice, and they even broadcast a few words from Jer.

If anybody would like a copy of this PM me and I'll happily send a MP3 attachment to your e-mail address.

Thor would you like a copy?

Have a good week, folks.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Catus, I'm so sorry!! I've always read your name as Cactus. Once I had that in my head it stuck.

Thanks Thor for the gentle nudge!!

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

katydid...we have some arctic temps here in northeastern U.S. as well and aside from doing some shoveling, I too plan on rereading some Freddie books today! I may even watch The Great Pretender documentary. What are anyone’s thoughts regarding that one?

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anniebee, I have The Great Pretender and absolutely love it. You'll cry through the end, but it's such a celebration of Freddie that it is worth every minute. For a while I was watching that once a week. My son and his family are living with me temporarily while they build a house so I've had to curtail some of my Freddie watching habits. I'm open and honest about anything my young granddaughter asks me about him, but I'm not going to even try to explain the footage of his big birthday party so I haven't had the chance to watch in over a year. (Yes, bless their hearts, they have been here that long) It's going to be bittersweet when they go, but I'm planning to binge watch Freddie and that is sure to cheer me up.