Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Thor & thank you so much for generously sharing so many stories and memories with us. I have begun reading your first post from the beginning and it is already a story to read your first few posts, seeming amused at the idea of writing a book to now announcing here there is someone interested in publishing!

I was going to wait to ask a question until I had caught up as I didn't want to repeat anything that had been asked before, but I think the 200 pages will take some time, so I just wanted to ask a very simple question for now which is, if a specific one comes to mind: what is your happiest memory of Freddie (either something about him generally, or a particularly happy experience you shared.)

Thank you once again and all the best in life and with your book! :)

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5....yes I’ve had a good cry at the end of every book and documentary about Freddie and even though I know they all end the same sad way, I just can’t help myself! I am sure I’ll cry after reading Thor and Lee’s book as well! How amazing that Freddie’s is still connecting with so many people and on such an emotional level.
How great to have family around, how old is your grand daughter ( if you don’t mind me asking that is)

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think being honest with kids around the age of 10 is important. They need to start learning that there are some real dangers out there and the more we as parents can teach them the better. My daughters are 13 and 11 and they know all about Freddie’s relationships and why he died. They know what being gay means and they have learned that it doesn’t matter if someone is gay. They don’t judge, to them it’s just the same as being straight, it just is. They see the person for who they are. I think not being real about it eventually makes them think there’s something wrong with it. JMHO

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@katydyd there’s two Annie’s now, lol, I think you meant your reply for Annie65

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anniebee..... I leave that part up to her parents, for the most part, they are honest and up front, if she askes questions, she'll get honest answers....but, I think my daughter in law thinks her daughter isn't ready for the reality of AIDS and the whole gay/sex discussion.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie65, my granddaughter is 5, so too young for details. One of her mom's closest friends is a gay man that she lived with through college and a year or so past in a Will and Grace situation. My granddaughter knows him and his husband, but since they live about two hours away, doesn't see them that often. She's never questioned though I know my DIL would give an honest answer if asked. That's my philosophy too. Be honest, but keep the age of the child in mind when answering.

To both Annies, I sure did answer the wrong one. You'd think I learned my lesson with Catus. My middle name is Anne, so it's a good thing I didn't incorporate that into my QZ name!! Three might confuse more than just me.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi All.
As usual I have some catching up up to do.
I DO try to check in every day but don’t always have the time to chime in.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all for the salutations, well wishes, and warm words of encouragement.
It’s more special than you can imagine.
Out of the gate: Not Quite A Shilling... HOW could I have missed that Freddie and Jim video. Yikes, that is charming!
Did everyone get a kick out of seeing the way Freddie smiled at Jim in those shots? I think he kinda liked him. LOL
I feel blessed that I got to see that smile many more times than he showed it in his public persona. Check it out gain and look for that.
That quick clip of Thor on the grounds of the garden lodge can be seen in a little longer video, where you see the formal dining room set
we lugged out of the main house. It shows all the guests at the soirée. There’s a moment where Freddie cracks up at something I said. Wish I could remember which one of my brilliant remarks it was (ha!). I’ll have to check it out again. I haven’t seen it in a while.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Although someone like Peter Straker was kind of fem, none of Freddie's dates ever were. Of course, I don't know what happened in Munich but his taste probably went out the window when he invited Barbara Valentin into his life."

Thor Freddie and Barbara were never lovers and she had no influence on the men he found attractive. Throughout his Munich years he was still going for the large burly men. I dont think his tastes changed at all in Munich if he was always going for big guys before that time period. You probably know this already but attached is a pic of the guy he was mainly dating in Munich, winnie. I say mainly because we all know he was also seeing Jim toward the end of that relationship too.

Hope your new year is treating you well

Attachment: 20191291714874045.jpg 440 KB
This has been downloaded 54 time(s).

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd,
It ALSO took me a while to be able to handle “Those Were The Days of Our Lives. His face in those shots stick with me. We saw him at that stage,
but I hasten to add that albeit a bit tired, he was as bright, witty, charming, funny, clever, and cute as ever.
P.S.
Thank you for your extra enthusiasm, which matches that of SO many here.
God bless you all for that.
Sending special hugs for that aspect of the blog.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am jumping around but that’s what I do when I catch up.
Losing friends to AIDS sucks beyond description. So many, so young, were taken so soon.
The thought of those I lost of course can stop me in my tracks, but I try to move to a mode of appreciation for having had them
in my life, and to the joy each and every one of them brought in their own way.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T,
St Francis of sales, huh? I’m in. I am Irish Catholic, but both my maternal grandparents were born in Italy. I’m gonna give him a little chat (wink).
About the Catholic Church thing. I may not practice my faith by attending church every Sunday, an institution I find exasperating at times, but I have
“practiced” enough in my 67 years to have the drill down.
I recently got my results from Ancestry.Com, which said I have no Italian in me. Kinda not possible, seeing as Nana and Grandpa came from Milan
and Venice. Hhhhmmmmm.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T,
St Francis of sales, huh? I’m in. I am Irish Catholic, but both my maternal grandparents were born in Italy. I’m gonna give him a little chat (wink).
About the Catholic Church thing. I may not practice my faith by attending church every Sunday, an institution I find exasperating at times, but I have
“practiced” enough in my 67 years to have the drill down.
I recently got my results from Ancestry.Com, which said I have no Italian in me. Kinda not possible, seeing as Nana and Grandpa came from Milan
and Venice. Hhhhmmmmm.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi spiralstatic and welcome,

The last time I re-read some of the first thread, I saw some glaring inconsistencies. It took a little while to remember every detail about 1980 to 1991, but once the thread got going, more and more memories moved to my brain's frontal lobe and out of my medulla oblongata...lol. One example was my early recollection of when I first met Freddie. I stated that it was in the early winter of 1980 but when given more thought, it was actually in August 1980. So, please forgive any inconsistencies while my brain was trying to warm up.
A favorite, happy memory would have to be joining Freddie for the concert leg of the Western U.S.that we were invited to in 1982. Of course, the concerts were spectacular and exciting, but it was the off days between concerts that were the greatest. Freddie was able to leave the stage and pressure behind and just have good, somewhat clean (lol), FUN!

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome, For Freddie.
Mary...
I’m not sure she was disinterested as much as she was curious? Jealous? Uncomfortable? She WAS always quiet and very pleasant, and it was clear Freddie loved having her around. As I mentioned before, I concur that the Mary, Phoebe, Joe thing could have been handled more delicately.
We got the details from Peter, who was not one to exaggerate or be overly dramatic about something.
Quite honestly, I can’t remember a single time he was out of control, or once again dramatic, were something serious to take place. He will
always be a gem in my eyes.
Katydyd, I liked your comments about Mary. Very intuitive and kind of right on.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is random, but maybe someone remembers this more distinctly.
Jim was with Freddie in London when he was building the house Freddie gave him.
I remember Freddie telling a story of due to the fact Freddie was so sick, and unable to travel, they helicoptered over so Freddie could see the progress of the house, or maybe the completed version? We have a “Skype Date” coming up with Peter. I’m gonna ask him.
Heard from him this morning. He’s on his way to Prague for a press conference or something. A VERY busy guy these days.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is random, but maybe someone remembers this more distinctly.
Jim was with Freddie in London when he was building the house Freddie gave him.
I remember Freddie telling a story of due to the fact Freddie was so sick, and unable to travel, they helicoptered over so Freddie could see the progress of the house, or maybe the completed version? We have a “Skype Date” coming up with Peter. I’m gonna ask him.
Heard from him this morning. He’s on his way to Prague for a press conference or something. A VERY busy guy these days.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers 2
Your support is always appreciated, and may I say, “what a gal”.
A talk about the daughters? You go girl.
Annie Bee
I’m seeing a book with a jacket, having my photo that Thor talks bout on the cover. Not sure we need Queen’s permission
to use that photo, as my reading has taught me that a photo like that could be viewed as a marketing item. That’s one of the reasons
a publishing company will be of great help to us.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Dustin,
Good to see you again. Thanks for the info about Freddie in Munich, but did you notice that katydyd corrected me and it turned out she was talking about Mann Parrish, and I have no idea of what he looked like, instead of Nomi who seemed very androgynous.
Anyway, no major arguments flying around these days and we love that. I think you will like it too. Feel free to rejoin us.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that Thor mentioned the place Ty’s on Christopher Street. We certainly frequented that place.
It was REALLY a favorite of mine.
Funny story, I was on a sailboat in the Tahitian Islands ( there’s that travel habit ) and I turned to the guy next to me and said,
“What do you do?” He says “I own Ty’s in New York”. WTF. I almost fell off the side of the boat.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KathLEEN! So good to see you and what a freaky coincidence.