Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That’s about it for now.
I know I must have missed a shout out to a couple of newbies on the site, but I hope we continue to here from you wonderful people.
To Queen09, and to all, keep those questions coming.
Don’t worry about asking a question that has been asked. Between the two blogs, we’re over 200 pages.
Thanks for thinking that I can remember what questions I answered.
HA!
LOL

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YEA...Kathleen is back and there's gonna be trouble...hey Kathleen, Kathleen is back!

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee...I've given it some thought and, could be, Mary did just feel uncomfortable/out of place amongst all of you.....who knows.... could be, I'm just plain wrong, all the way around... I was coming from a place of, feeling sorry for Freddie, if I was right about that situation....it's in the past.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...tell everyone you know.

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That last post of mine was to Thor.
He knows I like to communicate with
song lyrics.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hwy thor no I was just reading the page and responded to your comment when I saw it. Ps I found this pic of freddie and I'm wondering if it was the New York daughters he may have been with at the time. It's hard to see the face of the man behind freddie but maybe someone knows. Reminds me a quote from Jim Hutton. "Freddie was very conscious of his teeth and often covered his mouth with his hand when he laughed but I thought he had a lovely smile. Some of my best memories of him were of him throwing all caution to the wind and laughing with his head thrown back, not caring at all about his teeth". A buddy of mine recently unearthed a great 30 min video of him talking to Hutton in the 90s after a queen convention. I got a chance to watch a couple minutes and I have to say the man really did look to have genuinely been in love with freddie. Heartwarming.

Attachment: 201912915078280.jpg 218 KB
This has been downloaded 108 time(s).

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee! Welcome back! Thanks for the mass answering of questions lol. Good to see you again :)

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin,
I think that is a bad picture of me against the back wall and I think he is laughing with Joe Scardilli. Thanks man

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for the welcome and your answers Thor! A mix of Queen concerts and free time fun sounds great to me. I have all sorts of happy imaginings!! I am sure there are many of us who like me have wished we had a time machine to be around in the days we could have seen Queen live.

Interesting to hear too how you recalled more things once your brain was back in the world of those times. I always think the way we remember things (and the way every person will remember the same event slightly differently) is so interesting in any case - isn't it funny the things our brains forget and recollect and how we have so many more memories hidden away inside, waiting to be rediscovered. Sometimes I get overwhelmed thinking of how people cope as time goes on and they are just filled with more and more memories and all the feelings and yearnings associated with them. It makes me imagine an infinity inside every person and then I get scared.

And hello Lee too and thank you for all the information from you I have been able to read already in just one page! :)

I'm going to say this in here even though it isn't to do with Queen or Freddie, but I recently saw a play in London called The Inheritance - part of which is set in or at least depends on this kind of era of 1980's New York. It's a two part, 7+ hour odyssey and essentially uses E M Forster's Howard's End and Maurice to delve into a sort of history of AIDS and its legacy on a current generation in SUCH a beautiful way. It is epic and simply exquisite (and for Freddie-lovers, there is even a cherry tree.) I love theatre so much and it is one of the best plays I have ever seen. When I watched I was sat beside a gay man who was from New York and I'd guess is in his mid 60's, so he remembers the time. We chatted a little in the intervals and it is such an important and moving, involving and wonderful play that at the end of the play we introduced ourselves properly and then hugged - two strangers just hugging after watching a play - that's the power it has.

Anyway, I write about it, because if it transfers to the US, I really recommend seeing it if you're at all interested, and I'd love to know what you thought if you ever do watch!

Did anyone else on here happen to catch the play in London? Sadly its run has ended now, but it really is so beautiful. You can of course read the play text if anyone is interested in that. Here is an interview with the author of the play if anyone is curious in knowing any more - https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/theatre/matthew-lopez-interview-howards-end-was-a-life-raft-for-me-a3937496.html and it does suggest there that it will play in New York too!

I realise this is a wild digression, but anyway, there we are! My apologies for this random theatre-sharing!

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Spiralstatic,
I completely enjoyed your description of this play. I go back to New York in March and July. I will be sure to look for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 545 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spiralstatic,

I enjoyed your “random theatre-sharing”. That is a beautiful story. Sometimes our lives intersect, even briefly, with others we will never see again, but who touch us none-the-less. I cherish those moments.

queenfan09 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the welcome Lee! Per Thor's suggestion I am catching up on the original thread in between reading all of the great questions that continue to be posted here by others :-)

Keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that you both hear good news soon from the publisher!

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Howdy Lee,

I am reposting a question from pages back. I think it got lost in the lovely QZ tidal wave of enthusiasm... (If you answered and I missed it...just redirect me! :)

Most people generally did not develop slide photos years ago. The only time I did so was for end-of-the-year classroom ceremonies. What made you decide to do that? Is photography a passion of yours? When you went to visit Freddie that last time, did you have to bring a projector and screen with you as well? I can’t imagine he would have had those items in his home. I'm glad Freddie had the opportunity to laugh and reminisce with his friends in the perfect setting...what a simple, yet perfect gift!

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

I've always wanted to do one of those DNA tests. I recently watched an episode of Jeopardy in which a contestant had done a DNA test (not Ancestry). Hers came back that she had a greater than average amount of Neanderthal DNA. Gee...I didn't realize they tested for that!

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well now I'm glad I shared my little theatre story. I hope you find it as powerful as I did if you ever manage to see the play Thor, Rainbow61 and anyone else.

And yes Rainbow61 - there can be something so special about the tiniest unexpected moments and connections we make with strangers. Here's hoping we may all remember in darker days that no matter what today holds, these times can always come unexpectedly some future day. :)

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spiralstatic, feel free to share more theater reviews (digressions lol) Some of us here have to live vicariously through you since we live in places with terrible theater choices lol. That play sounds wonderful, I’d love to see it if ever given a chance. :)

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do have another question for the lovely gentlemen: how often were Joe Fanelli and Phoebe Freestone with you all when you went out? I've seen you write glowingly about Phoebe (he seems wonderful) but I don't recall anything about Joe. I may have missed it, but I did make a good effort getting through the other threads!

thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Sweet,
We only spent time with Joe Fanelli in London. He did not come over to New York when Freddie moved in but stayed back in London. Naturally, we spent hours and hours of time with Phoebe but only a few with Joe. He did take us out once or twice to the clubs in Earl's Court - in walking distance from the Garden Lodge. My impression of him was that he was a dedicated and loving employee of Freddie's and a very ingratiating member of the "family".

space cow user not visiting Queenzone.com
lost in universe
space cow
Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 23:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, I've just read in the latest book I've read about Freddie, Somebody to love, that he used to paint during the last few years of the 80s so I was wondering is it true (as the book has some facts wrong like stating Freddie was in romantic relationship with Barbara)?
Have you guys ever saw Freddie paint/draw (maybe just for fun, doodle sth) or any of his art work? Did he have artworks by famous artists in his NY apartment?

Sorry if this has been asked before - it's hard to remember everything that has been said on this and other thread.

And of course, thank you for sharing precious pieces of Freddie's life with us - hope the book gets to be published!

the fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist
thundergod

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome, space cow,
I never witnessed Freddie actually painting artwork, but I know he did having been in Art School. I don't remember any fine paintings in his New York apartment but he did in the Garden Lodge. Lee might remember much better than I as he has a better eye for artwork than I do. The painting (or more exactly, the first printing) I distinctly remember was the one featuring his beloved cat Delilah which Disney had presented him with. Other paintings in the house looked impressive, but I could not tell you the artist or the name of the painting, unfortunately. I think in the previous thread, a QZ fan presented a link to a wonderful painting that was supposed to be at the Garden Lodge but I did not remember seeing it there.