Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
I think Lee is done for today but I am sure he would like to answer your question.

Mr.Michael user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 19, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I'd like to get back to that Channel 5 docudrama Who Wants To Live Forever and your thoughts about it. You already said that there were details that weren't accurate, but it did also get some things right? You mentioned that Freddie liked to wear often the same clothes? So, it's not totally impossible that he used his live aid jeans for a couple of years after the gig? And what about the great acting by Mr.Blunt in that documentary? Did you think he was as good as many say he was?

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 544 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Thanks...no hurry.

We know how much Freddie loved flowers...he had that lovely garden that Jim took care of. I've also read that Freddie would carefully arrange flowers in Garden Lodge when guests came over. Do you remember seeing fresh flowers in his NYC apartment or do you recall being somewhere with Freddie, maybe passing a park, where he commented on the flowers?

thundergod

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Michael,
Your answer is on pg. 91.

thundergod

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely Rainbow,
Freddie always had beautiful flowers in New York and in London. I never asked him, but I would bet that Phoebe went out to get the flowers and arranged them perfectly!
He knew Freddie's taste better than anyone.

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor you only talk about John Murphy and his scene in the docu. His part was very small and I'm talking about the whole thing. At least it didn't try to paint Freddie as some closeted heterosexual who just wanted to be with Mary and all the gays destroyed him. That's what the movie Bohemian Rhapsody did.

Did you still dance in the 80's to Voyage-Souvenirs, or was that more in the late 70's?

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What became of Freddie's cats when he died?

He loved those cats, I'd hate to think they went to a shelter.

thundergod

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Michael,
John Murphy being involved in anything AIDS related with Freddie is fiction by people who say that John Murphy was patient zero Trust me, I would have known if John suddenly left his domestic flights on American Airlines and took a trip to Africa where either he was bitten by a monkey or ate monkey meat. At that time Joe and John were senior enough to get the nonstop flights from New York to the West coast and back they did not want international flights.

thundergod

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie,
I don't know what became of the cats but I'm sure Freddie made a plan for them so they would continue to be well cared for.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding the cats...From Peter's second book: "
When it came to packing, Mary told Jim and Joe that they could take whatever gifts they had bought Freddie for she considered these NOT a part of the great collection that she had inherited. Her idea of Freddie’s collection was specifically items that Freddie had selected and bought for himself, the house and for the purchases such as the famous diamond feather which she herself had benefited from, items he had been buying at auction from catalogues with the express intention that she be the one to have them.

But back to the cold, hard reality. Eventually, it must have alarmed Mary greatly to understand that a large number of items which she had imagined had fallen into the category of ‘Freddie’s Collection’ had in fact been personal gifts which we as house-sharers had given each other over the years. As she witnessed cherished domestic items as well as objets d’art being packed up and disappearing from the places she had become accustomed to seeing them, Mary changed her ruling and told Jim and Joe that they were entitled to take with them only one item which they had given Freddie. It can only be imagined what this instruction did to the atmosphere. It was the beginning of a shabby end"

So to summarize, the vast majority of things within the house (including the cats) stayed with Mary. She had originally told Jim and Joe that they could take whatever they had purchased freddie as gifts over the years from the house, and changed her mind once she realized how many items in the house had been gifts to freddie from the boys of Garden Lodge. One being Lily the cat. Jim bought her for Freddie as a gift. In his book, Jim mentions asking Mary if he could have little Lily and the answer was no. So all stayed but Oscar, who preferred a neighbor.

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just forget about the John Murphy scene (altough the acting is great).The docu is not about that one scene. And who's even talking about patient zero or eating some monkey burgers in Africa? They don't come up in there. In Bohemian Rhapsody Freddie pinches Jim Hutton's arse while he's working as a waiter and finds him after searching phone books. I mean it's pretty near fiction as well.

The Murphy scene has nothing to do how well Freddie is portrayed in the docu.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty sure Thor has said in the past that the acting for Freddie in that John Blunt thing was bad. He has been asked about it a number of times. Can't say I blame him. A Freddie cover band singer isn't necessarily going to be a fantastic actor.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’m pretty sure she gave away a couple of the cats too. Not sure why Jim couldn’t have them instead.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet I agree, he should have been able to take at least one if not more of the cats. That just seems petty, why would you keep them away from someone who was there with them most of the time? And who bought some of them and brought them home. Grrr.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow I think in Jim’s book he says that Freddie loved Freesias. Maybe it was Phoebe’s book, I don’t remember which one. Bath and Body Works had big sales during Christmas and Freesia was one of the discontinued scents they were selling so I bought some. It smells good, I can see why Freddie loved the scent.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevendabudgie,
After watching The Nomi Story on YouTube, I followed a link to Man Parrish Stories. I watched many of them and found his stories colorful, fascinating and culturally relevant. It's a shame Man was bamboozled out of money by shady music industry sharks!! Kinda harks back to Queen's early years with Trident/Sheffield Bros.!!!! Thank Goodness Queen signed on with John Reid Enterprises!!!
Of Course, I adored Man's story of Freddie 'hitting' on him in a club one night.....and felt his 'pain' when he said he crumpled up the note with Freddie's number on it and tossed it in the street!!!.....Oh No!!!!
Man's story of his brief interlude with Boy George takes a tragic turn, but his story of seeing a young, budding Bette Midler performing in a N Y City Bathhouse, accompanied by Barry Manilow on piano is my Fave!!!
About a dozen years ago, in Tampa, my daughter and I saw Bette Midler in concert and it was one of the BEST shows we have ever seen!!!! She gives her audience 110%!! Music, comedy, dance....FANTASTIC PERFORMER!!! AMAZING SHOW!!!.....btw....worst show I ever saw....(it was Super pricey at the time and I had such High Expectations!!!!!)....Sting! He was sooo boring!!
However, his opening act was a young blues guitarist named Jonny Lang!! He Kicked A#s and I have followed him ever since!!
So, Stevendabudgie, Thank you for introducing me not only to Nomi....but Man Parrish as well!!!
Stay Warm!!
.........if it's Freezing in Florida.....You KNOW it's Cold!!!!!

thundergod

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove,
In 1974, the unknown Bette Midler lived on the third story of the bar I worked at Marie's Crisis. She let her bathtub overflow one evening and it started raining in the bar. She came down and apologized profusely.
A few years later when I was working as a waiter at Uncle Charlie's Restaurant (36th St. and 3rd Ave) Barry Manilow was seated at one of my tables for dinner. he had no complaints that I knew of, but he tipped me about 8% when the average was and still is, 15% . This was after "Mandy" was a hit and he surely had money...lol

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor, got your message. Exciting! Please do send that to my email, as queenzone cut your message off midway. I sent you my email a moment ago.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This forum is ON FIRE and I'm loving it! So many great posts!!

Lee I am overjoyed that you also liked that video of Freddie and Jim. The person who posted it on YouTube is MyFairyQueen Mercury and they only have 2 videos (both are of Freddie and Jim) and that one I shared was just created a couple of weeks ago.

Yes that LOOK he gives Jim - I think I actually "swooned" lol

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevenbudgie that clip of Mann's story was fantastic!! He's still very good looking, so I can only imagine how hot he was back then. Freddie making a beeline for him LOL. His buddies racing out of the bar to try to find Freddie's number under the parked cars. HA HA What a great story teller he is! Thank you so much for sharing this - funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

Villiers2 - I caught the end of your live on Paul Prenter, then watched it over from the beginning...WHOA you are AMAZING!! I learned so much. If anyone hasn't checked these out I highly recommend them.

Also Villiers I love that your contest gives people 5 extra entries if they donate to the Mercury Phoenix Trust - YES!