Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevenbudgie that clip of Mann's story was fantastic!! He's still very good looking, so I can only imagine how hot he was back then. Freddie making a beeline for him LOL. His buddies racing out of the bar to try to find Freddie's number under the parked cars. HA HA What a great story teller he is! Thank you so much for sharing this - funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

Villiers2 - I caught the end of your live on Paul Prenter, then watched it over from the beginning...WHOA you are AMAZING!! I learned so much. If anyone hasn't checked these out I highly recommend them.

Also Villiers I love that your contest gives people 5 extra entries if they donate to the Mercury Phoenix Trust - YES!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops, another correction. The guy's name was Man Parish and not Mann as I had misremembered it.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol Thor I thought you were looking at the album when you said it yesterday, was thinking maybe you got a bootleg or something lol. It’s all good :)

thundergod

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My vinyl albums are packed away. I don't have a turntable anymore. I should get one I think.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aw shucks, NQAS that's really nice of you to say. I'm glad you enjoyed the live! Anniebee too, thank you.

This giveaway is for the MPT and the second time we've done one for them but the next 2 giveaways we do will be for the ASPCA and St Jude's Children's Resesech Hospital. All good organizations, so I'm sure Freddie wouldn't mind lol.

Hope you can catch another live soon!

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should! Nothing beats listening to old vinyl! :)

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers, you’re welcome! You have a great way of drawing people in and getting information across well. Like I said I wish I could participate more but they’re usually on when I’m driving home. Keep at it and those giveaways are awesome and support a good cause too. Love it :)

Kpetz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 05:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey everyone! I’m the one that won the lamp. Very excited but certainly didn’t expect anything. I was glad to donate to such a great cause. Good luck Thor and Lee!

As for Mary and the cats....she really didn’t do right by Jim. He asked for one cat, she said no then gave it away. Personally, I think that speaks volumes. It makes me sad, but it is what it is.

I consider Peter Freestone a good friend and it always warms my heart to hear people that knew him with Freddie praise him. The minute I met Peter I understood why he was with Freddie. Such peace and calm surrounds him......

So much information to absorb from the past many, many pages! I’ll try to keep up now.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I read that email front, back and side to side. Please keep an eye out in your spam folder for my reply. Just got it out.

Hey Karen!! Welcome gurl

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Do you have any Queen albums in your collection? I have a couple…my first was Queen: Live Killers. I used to listen to it ALL the time. It was the album that made me fall in love with Queen music. I’m guessing my copy must be about 39/40 years old. On the front of the album I wrote “The Best !!!!” and on the back of the album I wrote “The Greatest !!!”. It makes me smile when I see what my teenage self wrote all those years ago.

Oh yes....I still have my Barry Manilow-Greatest Hits album from the 70's. Indirectly, I might have contributed a teeny bit to your tip!

thundergod

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
I think I have The Works, Flash Gordon, and Barcelona on vinyl...many more on cassettes and then a few CDs. These days it is so much easier to bring up videos on Google and you get to see the video too. I watch them on my big screen TV.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Kpetz,

Welcome to QZ! I bet you can't wait to get your lamp. Do you know where you are going to put it?

You mentioned meeting Peter. What was the occasion? Did you go to the Freddie birthday party in Montreux or one of the Breakthru conventions in the US? Peter consistently comes across as a warm and friendly guy in any interview I have ever seen him in. His work with teenagers in the Czech Republic to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS is quite admirable. I would love to meet him someday.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie65 wrote:

I remember this being discussed earlier either on this thread or Thor’s previous one so sorry if I’m being repetitive but I can’t remember everyone’s thoughts on it. I think I remember reading that Freddie really didn’t work out and I have to wonder if he maybe did a little during the time before Live Aid. His upper body looks more developed to me during that performance but I can’t really tell. I also don’t know if I really see it in any other photos or performances from around the same time. Does anyone else? Maybe just the camera? I love watching the Live Aid clip....for the brilliance of the whole band ....especially Freddie and because he really looks so happy and healthy in it!

Annie65
I totally notice that too when watching old concert footage. It seems around the The Works album and tour, Freddie looks more muscular than previously. Not weight gain, but ,muscle gain. I have said before that I think The Works era Freddie is Freddie at his peak sexiness.

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5,

Mother Love kills me! When Brain comes on to sing the last verse and you know why he has to sing the last verse..OMG! It gets me every time! I know this thread is mostly about Freddie, but here are two more emotional moments from Roger Taylor and Brian May regarding Freddie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgAHqNAisU&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2lGpkjia6o

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Going back to the Scrabble discussion, this is cute off the cuff interview with Roger Taylor where he is discussing rehearsing for the Magic Tour and that he was tired from having stayed up until 6am playing Scrabble with Freddie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2lGpkjia6o

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Karen, and congratulations on the lamp!!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor that Barry Manilow story is hilarious. What a cheapskate!

I'm guessing Freddie was a good tipper? lol

Mariag user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 19, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It says on the Rudolf Nureyev book that after Freddie's performance with the royal ballet Rudolf went backstage and Freddie introduced him to you ( NY Daughters) is this true Thorn?
I heard they never even meet, and that they were "partners". Do you know what the truth about this is?

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Mariag,
That meet-up with Neureyev never happened with me or any of my 3 close friends in New York. Who makes up this stuff? Oh Jeez!

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, since none of us were there, it is possible that he met him on another occassion prior to 1981 or at some point in London. Phoebe would know if this is true.
Thor (no "n" at the end) but new guests can call me anything! I'm glad you're here.