Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of misspellings,
Please change Neureyev to Nureyev...lol

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I don’t remember if I asked this before but what was your favorite place you traveled to with Freddie? Lee, how about you?

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, are you as bad as me, the Queen of Corrections (spelling, grammar, facts, punctuation, etc.)? LOL

Maybe it's the other way around.

Jo T.

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Disclaimer: Please refer to the American Heart Association (https://www.heart.org/en/cpr) for the most UTD and accurate information about cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). The following unpaid information is for entertainment purposes only.

The views expressed in this thread do not necessarily reflect the views of QueenZone, the forum “Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie,” Thor Arnold and/or Lee Nolan.

I hope the forum’s members aren’t annoyed that my post is completely unrelated to the thread. However, CPR saves lives. If it has the potential to help save a life from cardiac arrest, why not post? Here’s how Queen bassist, John Deacon, may help!

Queen fans may not be aware that Deaky’s refrain to “Another One Bites the Dust” could be the “p – u – u – r – r – fect” - as Freddie would say - song to perform chest compressions for adult CPR (Refer to the AHA for infant and child CPR.). It meets the American Heart Association’s (AHA) recommended rate of 100-120 min. for a cycle of 30 compressions and 2 breaths.

Recently, I had to take CPR class @ my local hospital. My previous CPR card expired on Jan. 31st. One of the conditions of my employment is to maintain a current CPR card every 2 years. My friend, Dan, another Queen fan, confessed privately on Jan. 12th he uses Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust” vs. the oft-recommended Bee Gees’ “Stayin’ Alive” in place of counting 30 chest compressions for adult CPR. He prefers it because Deaky’s “bass line starts the song. For ‘Staying’ Alive,’ I have to wait for the intro.” Dan plays guitar on the side. He works FT as an ICU nurse. The man has “street cred.” Thank you, Dan! It works for me, too.

Later, I worked out the details @ home for both myself and to share. I rehearsed chest compressions on the ventral (white) side of my plush toy penguin, along to the official video for “Another One Bites the Dust” on YouTube (I love to watch Freddie prance and strut on stage, or else my Queen CD could’ve worked instead by itself.), counted the # of chest compressions per line, and added it up . . . Voila!

Den, den, den, another one bites the dust ( = 8 chest compressions)
Den, den, den, another one bites the dust ( = 8 chest compressions)
And another one gone and another one gone ( = 4 chest compressions)
Another one bites the dust ( = 4 chest compressions)
Hey, I'm gonna get you, too ( = 4 chest compressions)
Another one bites the dust ( = 4 chest compressions)

Give 2 breaths (Use a pocket mask to prevent infection.). However, if you don’t have a pocket mask available and/or aren’t comfortable giving breaths, esp. to a stranger, you can perform Hands-Only CPR and merely repeat the above refrain “Den, den, den, . . . “

Continue CPR till EMS arrives or an AED (automated external defibrillator) becomes available. Use AED as soon as it is available.
“Den, den, den” obviously refers to John Deacon’s bass line (no vocals). However, start chest compressions at the very 1st “den.” The refrain has the AHA recommended rate of 100-120/min. and lasts through a cycle of approx. 30 chest compressions and 2 breaths (Actually, the refrain adds to up to exactly 32 chest compressions, but it’s close enough to 30. An extra 2 compressions won’t harm the victim of cardiac arrest.).

Aren’t these lyrics far easier to remember than those for “Stayin’ Alive?” All due respect to the awesome Bee Gees, but what exactly ARE the rest of the lyrics to “Stayin’ Alive,” besides the refrain “Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin’ alive, stayin’ alive?” ARE there other lyrics? LOL How do you keep track of the # of chest compressions when you repeat the same line over and over again? CPR instructors rarely – if ever – address it. However, “Stayin’ Alive” can be used for non-medical laypersons who perform Hands-Only CPR (without mouth-to-mouth breaths) till EMS and/or an AED arrives.

Please mouth the lyrics quietly or in your head. The reason is obvious. “Another one bites the dust.” My greatest fear is that I may inadvertently vocalize the lyrics aloud in the presence of a cardiac arrest patient’s/victim’s significant others, when I perform chest compressions on him/her. I can imagine Phoebe’s reaction. “They were NOT amused!” LOL

I hope peeps enjoyed my “teachable moment.” Again, please refer to the American Heart Association for high-quality CPR. God bless you, Deaky!

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Anniebee,

For me, I really enjoyed the three days in Montreal. The concert was being taped so everyone was at top performance quality
(not that any Queen concerts were ever lacking). We were able to go out each night and were charmed by the French Canadians.

This was Lee's first concert. Unfortunately Joe S. and John M. were not able to come, but the next year in Vancouver, B.C. they
got their Canadian dancing shoes on with me and Lee!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

When you, Freddie, and the guys went out to clubs, either in NYC or some other city, who usually drove? Did Peter do the driving, drop you guys off, park, and then join you inside...or did Freddie hire a driver? Did Freddie usually sit in the front seat? Was there food/drink in the car?

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.,

I abhor misspellings and incorrect grammar...lol

We were typing at the same time...I will read your next message now.

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.,
Great CPR tip, Deaky is great!!
When I was working as the charge nurse, I had to take ALS (advanced life saving) as well. I actually knew how to read the EKGs and the proper medications to give as well as intubation. It was a very hard class but I mananged to get through it five times before I retired.

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 02:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
Freddie always had a driver when in New York. He did not want a limousine but had bought himself a Lincoln Town Car. Lorrie (nickname) was a great driver and would also join in with us on the adventures he drove us to.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. That is a great CPR tip, working in a hospital I have to have BLS certification (glad it’s not ALS like you did Thor!) so I’ll have to remember AOBTD next time lol.

Thor, I’ve Never been to a Montreal but would love to go one day. I have a coworker who is French Canadian from Montreal, she’s great! Very UN-apologetically French Canadian Lol. My hubby used to visit friends around the Niagara Falls area and used to joke them for being southern Canadian, saying “eh, y’all” lol. Bad joke haha.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.
Your CPR tip is an excellent mnemonic!!!
I will suggest it to our dental office's CPR instructor this spring when she comes in to recertify our staff!! With more than 10 recertifications under my belt, Staying Alive was never mentioned. AOBTD is just perfect!!.....and timely too!!
Thankfully, I have never had to use my CPR knowledge.....but many years ago...my boxer was choking on a kibble so I put my arms around his waist, pulled up forcefully....and pppchew....a kibble shot out about five feet across the kitchen!!! Wiggles was so grateful that every time he'd swallow kibble even slightly wrong he would look up at me and expect a Heimlich!!!!!

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 05:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adorable story Blenkolove!

Jo T.

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove, I copied and pasted from the American Heart Association Web site:

Music Can Save Lives
Take 90 Seconds to Learn How to Save a Life
Watch the 90-second video. Visit heart.org/handsonlycpr to watch the Hands-Only CPR instructional video and share it with the important people in your life. Hands-Only CPR is a natural introduction to CPR, and the AHA encourages everyone to learn conventional CPR as a next step. You can find a CPR class near you at heart.org/findacourse.
Song examples include “Stayin’ Alive” by the Bee Gees, “Crazy in Love” by Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z, “Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira” or “Walk the Line” by Johnny Cash. People feel more confident performing Hands-Only CPR and are more likely to remember the correct rate when trained to the beat of a familiar song.
When performing CPR, you should push on the chest at a rate of 100 to 120 compressions per minute, which corresponds to the beat of the song examples above.

Jo T.

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove (Part Deux):

I actually didn't see the AHA's "Music Can Save Lives," till AFTER I had made post #7. In my most recent CPR class (AHA BLS Provider), the CPR instructor had mentioned "Stayin' Alive," and I've heard it in my previous classes. Also, have you ever watched "The Office?" I was a fan. There's a famous episode where Michael Scott (the Steve Carell character) invites a CPR instructor to train the employees. They end up goofing off to "Stayin' Alive." It's hysterical. Search "Dunder Mifflin's CPR Class" in YouTube. BTW, Michael Scott had poor hand placement for CPR.

You know, I actually like Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" and own the CD. I also like Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie." Growing up, my father was a Johnny Cash fan. I vaguely recall "Walk the Line" but had to refresh my memory on YouTube. These songs honestly aren't as good as Queen's "AOBTD" or the BGs "Stayin' Alive" for chest compressions. Seriously, Beyonce??!! Why isn't "AOBTD" featured on the AHA Web site? Feb. 1st is the start of American Health Month and Go Red for Women. I'm seriously considering advocating for "AOBTD" to be included as a song on the AHA Web site. "In light of the recent popularity of 'Bohemian Rhapsody,' may I request that the AHA include 'AOBTD' on its Web site?" Am I crazy or what? You've all inspired me to contact the AHA.

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Montreal is one of my favorite cities. Have been there many times….have French-Canadian in my family tree. What did you do during the day before the concerts? Did you have a chance to see the old section of the city (What we refer to as "Old Montreal") or take in any of the other great sites?

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
Well to tell you the truth, in 1981 we only had 3 busy days. We went to both concerts and then went out on the town.

However, as a kid, my family drove up to Montreal for Expo 1968. I was only 13 year old but we toured around. I was a future loving kid, so I enjoyed Habitat '68 thoroughly which was still there in 1981. The American Pavillion was great too, with lots of space things.

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh crap, or was it Expo '67. I loved the New York Worlds Fair 1964 and 1965 so much that I think it was me who pushed the family to go to this World's Fair.Yes, I am pretty sure it was Expo'67.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Thundergod

You like futurist stuff?

Check these out:

http://paleofuture.com/
https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/
https://longstreet.typepad.com/

thundergod

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you stevedabudgie,
I will look at them tomorrow. It is 11pm here and I am exhuasted from being on the computer for 15 hours.

Posted: 31 Jan 19, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was Expo '67. I heard about it as a kid, but didn't go.

If Freddie had decided to stay in NYC, or at least continued to live there part-time instead of leaving when he did, do you think you would have remained there as well, or were you ready to move whether Freddie stayed or not?