Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Villiers about the book and the convention! The book is something that could not only be a joy to read but could help clear up some rumors going around. Thor let us know that John Murphy was never a lover of Freddie's but a recent book not only told people that they were lovers but that John was the one that gave Freddie AIDS because he was exposed to patient zero. How awful was that! To drag the name of that poor man through the mud to sell copies of their poorly informed book. That book is very popular with fans right now and I don't understand why.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 238 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See ya!

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep and a group of Italian fans who keep trying to get people to believe Freddie wasn't gay but bisexual made some videos on YouTube my friend showed me a few days ago called Freddie's Secret Lovers. They tossed in women he never slept with and oh Lee, did you know that you were a secret lover of Freddie's too? Lol some of these fans man...

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 220 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

Thanks so much for providing the background on your music career.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 220 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

For every active participant on this thread, I wonder how many silently follow along?...the number would probably astound us! It is amazing that 26 years after his death, Freddie still captivates the imagination of so many people. That you both shared a part of Freddie's remarkable life gives you a unique perspective that biographers will never have. I think an homage to your good friend would be as warmly received as this column has been. Go for it!!!

Have you ever thought about attending the annual Freddie birthday party in Montreux that is held every September? I bet they would love to have you as special guests. I have never been...but it sure looks like a blast!

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ Lee and Thor, thanks for your time. As written earlier I can't directly quote in this forum now for some reason. Annoying.

Lee, with regards to AIDS awareness the criticism I occasionally have to fend off regarding my music hero is that had Fred spoken about his illness earlier in his life he could have done a lot for AIDS awareness due to his fame. As I wrote with Thor I can 100% understand his reticence, especially back then when the world was even more pig ignorant. Of course what the critics aren't often aware of is that his last ever performance singing live was at a show for an AIDS charity, and he was pretty far down the line unfortunately. It was a fantastic performance and typical of the man's courage and commitment to his art. Can't be a Queen / Freddie fan on the planet who doesn't go to bits when watching the video for Days.

Lee, has Thor told you what Mary has done to Garden Lodge? The tribute wall is gone and it's all been sanitised. Miserable cow.

@Noorie(Uncle). Thanks so much, how amazing to read something genuinely new and first hand.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah!!!!! Roy Moore is defeated!!!!!
There's hope still.......

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@TSO. Funnily enough I broke my self imposed rule of not reading books on Freddie for Somebody to Love, I'd read some good reviews.
I found it quite a depressing read, had to read something light after it. I had no knowledge of Patient zero and any of the background to the virus.

Must confess I was skeptical from the off when it talks about HIV coming from a bloody carcass.

In it's defense it does also rebuff the Dugas as patient 0 theory and doesn't present all as fact, rather hypothesis. Perhaps a slightly thicker skin required with regards to the book?

On that note, do I bother with This is the real life? I honestly don't think there's an anecdote I haven't heard on Fred, indeed even the gentlemen on here who knew him back up the consistent narrative that he could be immensely private and in some ways nobody knew him.

With regards to Freddie's Loves, I've written this before I don't mind it. Yes it's trashy old nonsense but come on lets not re-invent the man as a saint. As written before I think Thor comes across fine on it. It's not to be taken too seriously, surely? Freddie liked fun. And hey I'd be well chuffed if after my death the size of my appendage is still talked about, sadly I think this will not be the case ;-)

Btw I was told something about Freddie's death by someone in the music industry a year or two after which I'm not even sure I want to ask opinion on, I'm worried it could potentially be controversial. It's not insulting or anything though.

Blenkolove

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee and Thor.....
I vote YES for the book!!
As been said before.......but also because what I Personally reaped from these threads.......THIS "FREDDIE" needs to be revealed!!! There is still SO MUCH INTEREST IN FREDDIE OUT THERE!!! Plus.........the Movie will drum up even more interest and intrigue in a whole new generation.

I said this previously but it's true.....i'm not sure How I ended up at Thor's thread....i think I clicked a link from comments in YouTube.....but finding this forum has been a Godsend!!!! And I thank you All so much!!!! It truly confirmed to me that Freddie was the Kind, Warm, Loyal, Thoughtful GENIUS I KNEW HE WAS DESPITE ALL THE "CA-CA" IN MANY OF THE BOOKS, TABLOIDS, AND DOCUMENTARIES!
Let me explain what's going on w me.....i am 55 yrs old. I HAVE LOVED AND BEEN MYSTIFIED BY FREDDIE (AND QUEEN) since as far back as I can remember. I clearly remember every time I walked into a Barnes n Noble or Boarders I would head right to biography section looking for BOOKS about Freddie.....then I'd head to music section to see what was available on Queen but especially Freddie!!!
Usually I'd end up empty handed and disappointed; (
Fast forward to 2016..........a last minute Christmas gift kinda Forced me to use Amazon to obtain this particular GIFT (EVEN THOUGH I'D PAID FOR PRIME FOR 3 YRS.....I'D NEVER USED IT MYSELF...THE PRIME WAS REALLY FOR MY KIDS (MILLENIALS....UGH)
PURCHASING THAT ONE GIFT OPENED THE DOOR For me to then see that I could order ALL the books on Freddie THAT I HAD ALWAYS WANTED!!!!@!!!
By about the fourth book.......my husband asked me if "there's something going on with me that he should know about?" Too funny.....but I was engrossed in FREDDIE!!┬░NEXT I ORDER ALL DOCUMENTARIES I COULD get my hands on!! Then onto YouTube...Now I'm Here;)
I've been ordering all the music cd's I overlooked in my youth!!!! IT'S BEEN A BLAST!!! NOT TO MENTION A GREAT ESCAPE FROM THE AWFULLNESS OF THE DONALD DUMP POLITICS!!!!!!
SO PLEASE PLEASE WRITE YOUR BOOK!!! I WANT IT FOR MY COLLECTION!!!

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV

I dont even think it's about having a thick skin to read Somebody To Love. I think it's just another tabloid wrapped in a pretty cover. It had all kinds of misinformation and also tried to say Freddie was gay "until" he was bisexual with Barbara Valentin which is just Lesley Jones bull. It never happened but that didn't stop this book from "gay erasing" Freddie as others have put it. I personally think books like that are not only spreading false info but are slapping the gay community in the face by claiming Freddie wasn't one of them. Not to mention Freddie. Yes he was very private but he also told Peter Freestone that if something was to be written about him he wanted it to be honest. Honestly he was not bisexual and I honestly I think all information in books should (ideally) come from close friends and family only. That's why I would like to see Thor and Lee come out with one. At least theirs would be an honest first-hand account.

The symptoms it claimed Freddie had also didn't match some of the stuff Peter has discussed.

Btw LOTV were you the one who was going to see the concert the other day? How was it?

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV wrote:

@TSO. Funnily enough I broke my self imposed rule of not reading books on Freddie for Somebody to Love, I'd read some good reviews.
I found it quite a depressing read, had to read something light after it. I had no knowledge of Patient zero and any of the background to the virus.

Must confess I was skeptical from the off when it talks about HIV coming from a bloody carcass.

In it's defense it does also rebuff the Dugas as patient 0 theory and doesn't present all as fact, rather hypothesis. Perhaps a slightly thicker skin required with regards to the book?

On that note, do I bother with This is the real life? I honestly don't think there's an anecdote I haven't heard on Fred, indeed even the gentlemen on here who knew him back up the consistent narrative that he could be immensely private and in some ways nobody knew him.

With regards to Freddie's Loves, I've written this before I don't mind it. Yes it's trashy old nonsense but come on lets not re-invent the man as a saint. As written before I think Thor comes across fine on it. It's not to be taken too seriously, surely? Freddie liked fun. And hey I'd be well chuffed if after my death the size of my appendage is still talked about, sadly I think this will not be the case ;-)

Btw I was told something about Freddie's death by someone in the music industry a year or two after which I'm not even sure I want to ask opinion on, I'm worried it could potentially be controversial. It's not insulting or anything though.

One thing I had a problem with in the STL book: the claims he had hairy leukoplakia, which he had seen a NYC doctor about in 1982 (in the middle of a US tour) Their source? A barman who knew Kenny Everett.

That is not good enough. I don't buy it.

Also with photographs, tour footage and plenty of eyewitnesses, no one has yet mentioned him having anything of the sort. Until then, it stays in the bullshit bin.

I had no problem with Freddie's Loves in general, I don't know why people get upset that Phoebe and Thor made 'well-endowed' comments because anyone with eyes can see it wasn't small. LMAO

It's a light-hearted insight into the fun he had in the gay clubs and nice to hear from his friends etc. My only issue with it is it feeds into the Lesley Ann Jones biography nonsense with the 'he suddenly flipped his sexuality and went with a big ugly woman' narrative. I have lost count of sources that say the Barbara stuff is nonsense and doesn't fit with reality. Even her friend was on it saying 'maybe - if he wasn't homosexual [they would have been together].' She wasn't a lover, so was pointless being there. All it's done is throw petrol on the sexuality debate, which shouldn't even be a debate.

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV now I'm curious about what it was you heard about his passing!

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Captianjory my thoughts exactly. Someone had explained all the issues with the Somebody To Love book on the facebook weeks ago and you have hit everything they covered!

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Squirrelly One wrote:

LOTV

I dont even think it's about having a thick skin to read Somebody To Love. I think it's just another tabloid wrapped in a pretty cover. It had all kinds of misinformation and also tried to say Freddie was gay "until" he was bisexual with Barbara Valentin which is just Lesley Jones bull. It never happened but that didn't stop this book from "gay erasing" Freddie as others have put it. I personally think books like that are not only spreading false info but are slapping the gay community in the face by claiming Freddie wasn't one of them. Not to mention Freddie. Yes he was very private but he also told Peter Freestone that if something was to be written about him he wanted it to be honest. Honestly he was not bisexual and I honestly I think all information in books should (ideally) come from close friends and family only. That's why I would like to see Thor and Lee come out with one. At least theirs would be an honest first-hand account.

The symptoms it claimed Freddie had also didn't match some of the stuff Peter has discussed.

Btw LOTV were you the one who was going to see the concert the other day? How was it?

THIS YESSSS, I agree so much I'm shouting.

It was good insofar as it shows what it was like for a gay man living in 60s/70s Britain, how they had no role models, were seen as comedy stereotype figures on TV and there were quotes from contemporary gay people about how life was for them. Very interesting.

THEN suddenly it copy/pastes Lesley Ann's book into it, all the Barbara stuff is there without question, no fact checking or critiquing done: suddenly he was a bi man, after all that 'gay men have to hide it' plus quotes where Freddie DIRECTLY CALLED HIMSELF GAY (to multiple people) are kind of swept away and gay is replaced with bi.

They just erased the struggle he had in the late 60s - early 70s and that is kind of disrespectful. It was a long journey for him to get to the point he was happy to be gay.

Blenkolove

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a radio interview out there where Freddie had to postpone due to illness and a few days? later when he actually does the interview...the Broadcaster claims he wasn't sure if Fred was Really sick.......until Fred shows him his tongue...which the Broadcaster claims Fred's tongue looks to have a Duffel Coat on it!!
I work in Dentistry.....and while I didn't see his tongue personally.....the description fits hairy leukoplakia!

Blenkolove

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Which...by the way can be a symptom of a depleted immune system....and Even HIV

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Captianjory I agree 100%. My family have been in-person autograph collectors for years and my uncle Charles met Freddie and the band 2 times to grab autographs. He was by no means close to Freddie or knew him personally but told me that even on those very brief meetings it was "obvious" that Freddie was gay in the way he carried himself and above all he told me over and over that Freddie was one of the only musicians out of the hundreds he met that left him feeling like he was " in the presence of greatness".
If a total stranger could tell he was gay how could "biographers" not look into those Barbara claims and see how fake it was?
Being gay didn't define him but it was a part of his story and it's wrong to erase it or mislabel it imo!

Blenkolove

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It could have also been Candida.......

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have been googling it. The only way to control it to be on meds constantly. Freestone never mentioned Freddie taking any meds during that time. During one of the conventions he was asked about Freddie taking medication. Peter said he was asked to get absolutely everything for him even a Tylenol for a headache. He would have known if Freddie was taking any meds for anything like that hairy thing. He said before he had AIDS in 87 Freddie never took any meds at all outside of the odd headache pill. He didn't have that stuff they claim he did. There would have been photos and Peter would have remembered it. In photos of him in the mid and even late 80s he didn't have it on his tongue so if he did have it then he would have been on meds. That peter would have known about.

That radio interview was probably from a cold. My mom's been a nurse for years. It's a common thing.

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Candida... yeah that's pretty nasty too lol.