Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome BohemianKiKi! What a fantastic first post. You articulated everything that is wonderful about this site. It truly is warm and connecting, all bound together by the glue Thor and Lee have provided. I didn't realize how long we'd been together until you mentioned the holidays! It took me a while to jump in, but once I did I've been very active ever since. We do strive to keep it positive and it has paid off to work towards that goal.

I understand the grieving process too. Freddie is so alive in my heart that it is a jolt at times to remember how long he's been gone. Feel free to ask questions. With so many new people Thor and Lee have been very generous in answering questions more than once. I've got one or two I've been thinking about that I know were addressed early on, but I'd like to hear a bit more from their perspective. Gathering my thoughts and then I'll post.

So glad you will be joining us on this journey!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh my god, BohemianKiKi,

I agree! Your first reply is a wonderful starting point for your entry into our group of genuinely good, honest Freddie/Queen adorers.

Welcome, and many thanks for your very supportive comments.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Bohemiankiki....you expressed exactly the way I have been since seeing the movie and I too was really comforted in finding this thread! It seems I just can’t get enough Freddie Mercury so I’m just going for it and loving the obsession right now. Much thanks to Thor and Lee and all the rest who I’ve learned so much from..

BohemianKiKi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awww, yay! Thanks all for the warm welcome all... I feel like I know you after going deep through the threads, so it feels great to be embraced back. Thanks Katydyd, NQAS, Thor & Annie65.

One of the things that has been great from Thor’s sharings (and some of Lee’s) is to hear about Freddie’s fanatastic sense of humour (which I agree the movie did not do justice). That always felt so from his mischievous, sparkly, sassy performances but it’s lovely to have it affirmed by his dear Friends, live here and now! I’m sure many of you have seen all or parts of this video compilation but it’s such a smile-bringer to watch all stitched together.

https://youtu.be/MNm16bP8UdY

Off to work for the evening. Talk soon!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BohemianKiKi,

Welcome to QueenZone. You have certainly captured the spirit of the people who gather here. It’s hard to explain to others how you can miss someone you have never met; feel sadness over a loss years after it happened. What is great is that the Freddie fans on this thread understand exactly what I mean, and that is truly comforting.

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

How many Queen concerts in all did you go to over the years? Did you usually know ahead of time where you would be sitting? You mentioned sitting near Brian May's parents on one occasion...was there always a "Special Guests" section that was reserved for friends and family of the band and that is where you sat, or could you pick where you wanted to sit? Just wondering if you ever had front row seats or were close enough to the stage so that Freddie actually saw you during the show? Did you always stay for the entire show, encore included, or are you a "leave early and avoid the crowd" guy? I always stay until the end...and then some. When you and the guys went out with Freddie after the shows, did you wait for him backstage or meet him back at the hotel before heading to the clubs?

(Hmmm....I think I might have asked some of these questions before....not sure. They are vaguely familiar! I keep saying I am going to reread everything on the threads to refresh my memory, but I have not gotten around to it. The content of these 2 threads alone could be made into a book!

Does anyone on QZ know if there is some feature on this site that would allow me to click on a button and pull up a history of everything I have posted? That would help me to avoid asking my own questions twice! :)

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 19, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to all newcomers!!! I just love ALL the bits n pieces every person brings ....All in the name of Love for Freddie!!! It's like we are all stitching little bits of fabric onto a 'For the Love of Freddie' Quilt!!!!

Now, could some kind soul please tell an old-school granny about this thing called instagram??????
I created an account in order to catch Villiers Lives......but I'm lost in the woods!! I scrolled back to previous threads to see if I could find a link......it's Surely there and I just missed it!! But I would so like to hear her discussions (on YouTube, it would be Much easier???)........i do LOVE LOVE LOVE ALL THE PHOTOS OF FREDDIE ON WHAT LITTLE OF INSTAGRAM I HAVE PERUSED!!!
TY
GRANNY

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome, BoheminaKiKi,

I'm a relative newcomer myself and I felt everything you described in your inaugural post, even the grieving for Freddie all these many years after his death. I am glad that I'm not a crazy person and relish this site and others who have similar feelings.

thundergod

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow,
Let's see now, I think the total is 12 concerts. I and then we never left early. Freddie always arranged for us to go backstage. Phoebe would come to get us. There was a 15 minute cooling down period for the band, so we had to wait until that was over (except once when we were allowed to enter that inner sanctum per Freddie's wishes.). Seats were always in good locations reserved for guests of the band, but they were not on the floor always like first or second row near stage left. He knew the location of our seats but remember, these were large stadiums so we had a great view but not close proximity to Freddie. We would wait for him each time backstage and Freddie always was anxious to leave the backstage area quickly and go out.

Ah, those were the days!

thundergod

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Correction: Not always Stadiums but Concert Halls too.

thundergod

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, I am of no help with social media sites. I have always stayed away from them. But, I would be glad to learn anything to help find Villier's live broadcast.

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A belated welcome to space cow and Mariag.

space cow...I've often wondered if there are any paintings, drawings, or sketches in private hands that Freddie did...especially from his art school days....maybe something he gave as a gift? I assume his sister has some items that she inherited from their mom, Jer, after she passed away.

Mariag....Peter Freestone has a great blog where he answers questions about Freddie. He addressed the Rudolf Nureyev question. Here is the link:

http://www.freddiemercury.com/en/ask-phoebe/blog-91

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello all

To those who were trying to find my live chats, I usually only hold them once a week. This week's topic is the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. I opened questions for 24 hours and got plenty to answer and discuss. However, it's happening smack dab in the middle of the superbowl so no surprise is the live watchers are low this week. Feb 3rd 7pm CST I'll be live and of course it'll save for 24 hours on my page, plus I will be recording it to add to YouTube once I make that YouTube page. I finally found a screen recording app that works, to all my lives will have to be redone. The Mary and Paul Prenter lives were the most viewed and the highest in demand for a re-recording. Fun!

If you're looking for my page, you can paste this link into your internet browser: instagram.com/queen_memes.KL

Or you can hit the magnifying glass at the bottom of your Instagram app, and type in @Queen_Memes.KL in the search bar. We have a pretty loud profile pic, so it's hard to miss us lol.

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello all

To those who were trying to find my live chats, I usually only hold them once a week. This week's topic is the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. I opened questions for 24 hours and got plenty to answer and discuss. However, it's happening smack dab in the middle of the superbowl so no surprise is the live watchers are low this week. Feb 3rd 7pm CST I'll be live and of course it'll save for 24 hours on my page, plus I will be recording it to add to YouTube once I make that YouTube page. I finally found a screen recording app that works, to all my lives will have to be redone. The Mary and Paul Prenter lives were the most viewed and the highest in demand for a re-recording. Fun!

If you're looking for my page, you can paste this link into your internet browser: instagram.com/queen_memes.KL

Or you can hit the magnifying glass at the bottom of your Instagram app, and type in @Queen_Memes.KL in the search bar. We have a pretty loud profile pic, so it's hard to miss us lol.

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello all

Attachment: 20192373872675.jpg 123 KB
This has been downloaded 43 time(s).

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It just wouldn't be Queenzone unless your post gets added multiple times by accident would it. Whoops

space cow user not visiting Queenzone.com
lost in universe
space cow
Rocker: 27 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Rainbow :)
I also wondered about how much input did Freddie have in the album cover art in later years, knowing that his artistic skills and formal education.. I've sent that question to Phoebe hoping that he might answer it in his blog but very soon after that he paused writing it. And I remember reading somewhere about Jimi Hendrix portrait that can be found on the internet, that Freddie's sister Kashmira mentioned he had made dozens of those..

the fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

space cow,

I looked back on Peter's "Ask Phoebe" blog and he did mention that Kashmira inherited the collection of artwork and clothing Freddie created during his art school days and was having it catalogued and preserved.

Some of his art was displayed during the "Stormtroopers in Stilettos" exhibition in London in 2011. If you go to this link, you will see several of Freddie's sketches, including the one of Jimi Hendrix.

https://queenvinyls.com/pictures/stormtroopers-in-stilettos-the-london-exhibition/

Did anyone go to this exhibition? What did you think of it?

sammyfrankfreddie96 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi there Thor/Lee! Its really great that you do this, thank you so much.

I'm a more recent Freddie/Queen fan. I was a big fan/performer of musical theatre prior to finding Queen, which got me wondering: If you guys ever discussed it, was Freddie a fan of musicals, and if so what were some of Freddie's favorite musicals? :)

Did he ever express a desire to perform any roles in the West End or on Broadway? The thing I love most about Freddie's voice is how versatile it is, I feel he could've played or sang just about any role. Like many others I wish he could've played or at least sang some of the songs of The Phantom in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom, or even some Judas from 'Jesus Christ Superstar'...

Thank you so much! Also, my apologies if this topic was already covered...haven't had time to read through all of it yet!

Take care!

thundergod

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome, Sammyfrank,
Glad you are joining us and thank you for your kind words.
My answer is not going to be exciting for you, but here goes:
Believe it or not, within those two-plus years in New York, Freddie never made arrangements for us to go to a Broadway show. There are only two shows that I remember him ever talking about. I did not go with him to see it, but at the time he loved "Dreamgirls" and even invited Jennifer Holiday to his Saturday Night Live performance. He loved the power of her voice.
(By the way, I went to high school and shared a few of the same classes with Sheryl Lee Ralph also from the original Broadway production..look her up - she went to Uniondale High School as did I)
The second play that he ever mentioned was "The Elephant Man" with David Bowie but I'm pretty sure he saw this in London.

Freddie had a pretty tight schedule while living in New York, promoting albums, the1982 World Tour, and other projects as well as visiting and going out, somewhat frequently, with us.