Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome SammyFrankFreddie. I absolutely LOVE your idea of Freddie doing Judas in JCS!!! Or Jesus. Or hey why not an all Queen version?! Man wouldn't that have been something to see?!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 19, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hiiiiiiii

Thor, remember Dave Clark’s Time the Musical that we went to see?
Was that 86 or 91? Freddie wrote one number for it which guaranteed us great seats.

I would have remembered that Nureyev story. Wasn’t us. I wonder who.

Anniebee-travels with Mother of any kind we’re more than we can possibly describe. He seemed to be having great fun when he was making sure that we were having a good time. Couldn’t pick one trip over another.

Rainbow1- would we have moved or not? We will never, never know the answer to that question, but I DO recall things getting a bit dull in NYC, if you can believe it, when Freddie left. Just about that time Joe and John we’re finding love, and Thor and I were two poor waifs alone in the city, getting on a plane every six weeks to get outta Dodge.

Re: Freddie’s cars. In place of a limo, as Thor said, Freddie opted for a Lincoln Town Car. Fire engine red. Probably brand new at the time. There will be a quick shot of it in the book, that I took the morning we were leaving for our Houston trip. Freddie, definitely took it as a photo op. When a larger car was needed he would make sure we had one, but I DO remember quite a few of us doing that college schtick where we saw how many ‘clowns’ we could fit in the back of the car. Lorrie, who you’ll also have the pleasure of meeting in the book, in his unique glory, use to moonlight chauffeuring with Freddie’s car.
Freddie paid him year round so that he would be available if he happened to pop into town. If WE knew that that Freddie must have known that. Don’t recalll
If that went over very well.

Also I brought the slides, just the slides to London in 91. Freddie got a huge screen and a projector from the Queen office, and we set it up in the grand salon ( which is what I called that main room of the house). Freddie invited a few friends over, and we had great fun. Freddie use to get frustrated with me because the music was having the slides change rather rapidly...LoL...but we would always go back and go through them one by one, remembering when and where they were taken and how I got each person to do what in the photo.

Villiers1-I like the way you summed up that Mary and the belongings issue. You are probably spot on. Where did you hear that? I think it was a great addition to the story.

Sweet tenderhooligan-A favorite story of mine regarding SNL, had to do with the dress rehearsal, which had a full audience. We opted for the rehearsal as oppposed to the show, so we could give the tickets to Joe and John. Were we nice kids or what? There was no guest list to get in, and we got on line in the lobby of the building. Well, that wasn’t working for us so we made our way up to the guard and told him exactly who we were. HA! Thor could be pretty persuasive, and in we went. I don’t think it hurt that Thor threatened the guard, telling him he’d be in trouble with Freddie if we didn’t make it upstairs right away. It wouldn’t have been pretty had Freddie gotten in the middle of it. LOL. The show was fun and we visited backstage, of course, between the ehearsal and the main broadcast.

Wel kidandos, I’m off to a Super Bowl Party, having to first make my way out of the complex, passed a neighbor who has been screaming for the last half hour. That’s a long story.

XOXO

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup Lee, I forgot to mention "Time". Dave Clark will never forgive me! Sorry, Dave.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH VILLIERS!!!! I AM SO EXCITED!! I WILL HAVE SUPER BOWL ON MUTE...SO I CAN LISTEN TO YOUR SHOW!!
I don't think I would have found you....if you hadn't helped!!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Sammy and Space Cow...…….and anyone else new that I may have missed. There are so many new faces now that it is hard to keep up!

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome one and all

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers.....caught ur live (Super bowl was kind of a snoozer till 4th quarter!). Very well done and you have a beautiful voice! Thanks for all the Freddie/Queen info, research and references. Well done and look forward to hearing all previous Lives I missed on YouTube!! Your take on Paul Prenter was an eye opener for me......as he is so often portrayed as evil incarnate!!!!

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Caught the end of your live and watched it back Villers! I got to take part in the discussion in the comments as well this time. Very well done! And thanks for mentioning the New York daughters! They really need a live of their own. Yes belenkenlove I agree. She doesnt sugar coat anything about Paul. It confirmed a ton of things I had been speculating about for a while but didn't know where to find the information. It was a little hard to keep up with all the comments live as so many people were joining in but I see why it's so popular. You come prepared with information and research. Very cool! I see Thor and Lee hit their goal for go fund me but I'm willing to bet had they not, a live from villers about them would push them above and beyond!

Now I'm off to bed. Super bowl was fun but beer gives me a headache...you'd think I'd learn by now.

thundergod

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello, hello Squirrelly,

Long time, no hear. We've missed your input. I hope you continue to come back now and again to chime in. Things are friendlier here than they used to be.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's good to hear Thor. The thread had it's fair share of trolls in the past. I check in from time to time but I was excited to finally have caught on to something hip like Instagram and I was happy to see others here were watching the same thing I was tonight! My daughter made me a page and I'm figuring it all out slowly. I have a lot of reading here to catch up on.

thundergod

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Take your time Squirrelly,
All you have to do is say "peep", just that one word, when you can!...lol

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello sammy...welcome to QZ,

The question about musicals made me think....Can you imagine how absolutely amazing it would have been if Freddie had done a solo album of Broadway/movie musical favorites. Instant best seller!

thundergod

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right On Rainbow,
As an old Broadway buff, Freddie singing my favorite songs from the many shows on Broadway would have been spectacular. Oh, if he could have sung "Send in the Clowns", I would have melted!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

"Send in the Clowns" is a great choice. I would love to have heard Freddie sing "The Impossible Dream"...such a beautiful, dramatic song...that would have made me melt.

thundergod

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the "Impossible Dream" would have been glorious. Another one I'd like to hear him sing was from "Pippin", namely, "Morning Glow".
Rainbow, you need to join me sometime in New York at Marie's Crisis. We could stay all night and sing them all...lol
that's a line from "Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall"

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kathleen,

Thanks so much for the SNL tidbit! The story of Thor is hilarious. I love people who buck rules and use their charm to get ahead- it's a talent!

Did you guys ever have a chance to experience what kind of schedule Freddie had? Did he slept late every day? I dated a famous musician for a while (horrible person, btw) and he only got up before 1pm if he had a show that evening and had to work out before soundcheck. LOL.

thundergod

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Sweet,
In the 1980's Freddie was quite the night owl. New York was open until 4 AM, every night. I understand, from Phoebe that he would often entertain friends until the wee hours of the morning in London as well. Both Lee and I were late night people too as Prime Time at the clubs was about 1 AM. When I had to work my 12-hour shift at the hospital, I would occasionally grab a cab back and forth to Freddie's house on my 1-hour "lunch" break from Midnight to 1 AM.

Although short, these several visits were wonderful breaks from a 12-hour work shift in '81 and '82.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey thanks blenkolove and tso, I'm glad you enjoyed the live chat. I can't stand the sound of my own voice to be honest, but people seem to like taking part in them and sending in questions. Re Paul Prenter, I always say Paul's first priority was Paul and he certainly wasn't Freddie's best choice as a companion, but Freddie was no idiot. He wouldn't keep someone around for 10 years in his inner circle unless they contributed to his life in some way. Like him or not (and there's plenty of reason to not) Paul was one of Freddie's first gay friends in the buisness. He acquainted Freddie with London's gay scene/culture and as we all know, that was something Freddie did get plenty of happiness from.

Hey Lee! All that Mary info was from Peter Freestone's second book which focused more on what happened after Freddie passed away. A really interesting read, for sure

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Squirrely.
Welcome back.

Freddie doing a albums of Broadway hits. I DO see him as a Send in The Clowns candidate, rather than the Surrey With The Fringe on Top kinda guy.
LOL

When I left grad school, I was determined to end up on Broadway.
Alas, only out of town theatre and club gigs for me.
I DID manage to make t to Broadway...every time I crossed Time Square! HA!

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers,
How exactly do one get to here your show, podcast, live chat? What IS it called?
Anyway was flattered to here that the New York Daughters were mentioned.