Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers,
How exactly do one get to here your show, podcast, live chat? What IS it called?
Anyway was flattered to here that the New York Daughters were mentioned.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor hit the nail on the head.
Freddie was the late night entertiner. I’m sure he saw many sunrises though...as in still being up when it came.
We were returning from the Saint one morning 6:00ish maybe, and we all went parading through the lobby
of The Soverign in our finest gay garb, touch of leather, and the ubiquitous 501 button jeans, and the concierge and security looked at us, and one of them said
“You guys SURE know how to party!”
We remained stone face until we entered the elevator and we all cracked up.
He wasn’t one to sleep the ENTIRE day away, as we know, cause he hated wasting time.
I’m sure he was up by the crack of 1:00 PM...maybe.

sammyfrankfreddie96 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor: Thank you so much for your answer! I appreciate you taking the time, and it was absolutely interesting to read nonetheless ;)

Rainbow: YES PLEASE! GOD how I wish Freddie could've done an album of Broadway material. "The Music of the Night", "Bring Him Home" from Les Mis, of course the Superstar stuff, and imagine him doing "The Impossible Dream" in a crazy high key, ending on an epic note!!! Would've been incredible. And of course "Send in the Clowns" please

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sammy FF,
Wow, that's a great selection of Broadway tunes, especially Les Mis...move over Susan Boyle..LOL

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 00:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Believe it or not, my brother and his wife saw "Bohemian Rhapsody" twice and have become bid Queen/Freddie fans. They only found out about my connection with Freddie at the family reunion in July 2018. I had kept this part of my life away from them and NOW, I am now I am not sure why? He sent me this clip today. I had never seen it before...maybe some of you have not either.It's very well done.

https://youtu.be/p3MjsrMNCbU

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Forgive the typos please.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing that clip Thor. It's so easy to see why he's such a legend.

Never thought about Freddie singing anything from Les Miz, but "Bring Him Home" would have reduced me to a puddle of tears. In one of the documentaries about Freddie Montserrat Caballe mentioned that they had talked about doing Phantom of the Opera together. She said she actually recorded her part, but at that point he was too sick to talk to her on the phone, though they did play it for him so he could hear it.

Thor, I find it fascinating that your brother didn't know of your connection with Freddie, though I respect that you had your reasons and I'm not asking. I'm just imagining though if my brother suddenly dropped something like that on me now. My jaw would still be on the floor. Unfortunately my brother is one who just does not get it. I think he views my obsession with a "this too shall pass" attitude. He's wrong.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

I have never seen Pippen. I have to admit that my knowledge of Broadway musicals is limited to what I have seen in high school/college productions or maybe musicals turned into films…but an evening of song among friends certainly sounds like great fun! At least I have walked down Broadway, so I got to feel the outside energy of where those wonderful shows happened!

Okay, one more song for Freddie…not from a Broadway show but an Elvis movie musical. Listening to Freddie sing “Can’t Help Falling In Love” would have been magical! I know it would have made me cry!

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahhh, you're such a romantic Rainbow...I love it!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

From all that you and Lee have told us about Freddie, it was obvious that while in NYC, he just wanted to fit in and be one of the guys. He wasn’t looking for attention, in fact he shied away from it. Maybe you didn’t say anything to your brother back then because you were simply honoring Freddie’s wishes. To tell everyone about your famous friend would have violated the implicit trust he had in his companions that they would maintain his privacy and not use his fame to impress others.

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Rainbow,
I think I just feared what they would think. Being on QueenZone has set me free. You have become a big part of that Rainbow along with some others. Thank you for that!!

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Talking of Send in the Clowns, I presume you've all heard this, but I thought why not share it here. I hope that's OK. xx

https://youtu.be/0XZzglak-q4

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, it seems to me instead of “home is where the heart is” you guys could say “fun is where Freddie is!” I love seeing glimpses of Freddie in the stories you and Thor share and to me he seems like a person who got a lot of satisfaction in making others happy. What a great friend! I think he loved you guys because in you he found friends who were friends, not people who would take advantage because if his fame and status. What a great friendship!

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, did you guys ever get to meet his costume designer/friend Diana Moseley? She seems like a really cool person, again another great friend he surrounded himself with.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 374 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to Sammy and Space Cow! :+)

Wanted to share with you all a YouTube link I discovered ofa lovely Phoebe interview!

https://youtu.be/jr9rDMSX6YQ

It's over 50 minutes long.

VillersZ, do you have a YouTube channel where you've uploaded your Instagram chats to, also?

Hoping the negotiations with publishers are going well for you boys! Fingers crossed!

Bye for now.

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, it warmed my heart to see you say that being on QZ has set you free. What a glorious feeling that is!

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee mentioned one of the Garden Lodge tapes in a previous post and I finally had the time to go and look for it. It looks like Joe Fanelli is filming all of you, while someone we never see is standing behind him, also filming. The nice dining room furniture is out in the garden...…...I imagine that was some heavy work to get that out there! There is some general milling about and then the group moves back towards the house and Freddie rejoins the group. It is at that point that Lee says something that makes Freddie burst out laughing. So here's my question. He immediately covers his mouth with his hand. Did he always do that with you guys or was he able to relax most of the time and let the laugh flow? Had covering his mouth become such a habit that he did it at times even among close friends? I saw an interview with Peter Freestone where he said that his best memories were of Freddie freely laughing at GL without worrying about his teeth. He had such an infectious laugh and I love to find videos where he really unleashes it.

I debated including the link for the tape because I find them kind of private. This one is fun though, and shows all of you enjoying each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m628Vp1RwI

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey there, spiralstatic,

OMG, a recording of Freddie playing "Send in the Clowns" on the piano...I was stunned, now learning that 1/2 of my dream had actually come true. I wish he would have sung as well, but hey, just to know that Freddie liked that song enough to play it and play it so beautifully, leaves me happily content!
Thank you so much for sharing that spiralstatic.

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Anniebee,

Thank you for your very kind words about our friendship with Freddie.
I, personally, don't remember meeting Diana Moseley. Perhaps Lee remembers. When he gets on-line again, I'm sure he will be happy to tell you.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, IIRC either Jim or Phoebe (I'm leaning towards Phoebe) stated that Freddie insisted the table be dragged outside for his "American guests" so they could eat alfresco. They couldn't drag the dining table so they used the one he had brought over from Stafford Terrace. Everyone looked so cute and happy in that video.

I love that video, and Thor I must ask what your workout routine was because you looked amazing and I'm sure you still do!

It's my birthday today so I'm jamming to Freddie at my desk at work :)