Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1705 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, Katydyd,
Talk about a trip down memory lane, I had forgotten that
part of the Garden Lodge outdoor dinner was caught on film. I really enjoyed seeing it. Thank you so much!

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Birthday dear sweetandgentlehooligan,
Happy Birthday to you!

Thanks for the compliment. At that time I was spending about two hours at the gym, five days a week. I used to enjoy the gym but after age 56, I was just not getting that same thrill and endorphin rush but rather, it just seemed like hard work.
I keep paying yearly for my gym membership because back in 1985 San Diego, the price was $5.00/month for life, but I don't happen to go there anymore.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you!

I'm so happy you're talking to Phoebe soon!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

The followers of QueenZone are a fairly diverse group of people. We hail from different countries, span multiple age groups, and certainly have very different backgrounds…yet somehow it all works. The tone that you and Lee set for this thread early on allows us to be crazy Freddie fans together and to have fun doing so. That is the "freedom" you have given us, so a big thanks to you both!

ragstomorerags user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone!

I'm another new poster, just enjoying reading all the comments.

Have you all noticed that many, if not most of the posters under Freddie Mercury's YouTube videos speak of him in the present tense?
That's more than charisma and talent, that's mojo!
Anyway, I am as spellbound as I was from a kid all the way through college and past that.

Peace to all!

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you so much for your thoughts Rainbow and you are certainly welcome.

thundergod

Posted: 05 Feb 19, 23:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of welcome,

Welcome ragstomorerags, we are so glad you joined us. The thoughts on this page(#113) alone make this thread so worthwhile. We have a wonderful community of Freddie and Queen fans and once you stay here for a while, you will feel the distinct, enduring bonds towards each other that we enjoy!

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I agree with Rainbow, you and Lee have made this a very welcoming place and I’m so glad to meet everyone here! It’s a testament to the kind of friends you two were with Freddie. You’ve given us a place to be where we can love on Freddie like he deserves!:)

ragstomorerags and others who are new, welcome! I think I missed a few, but I’m glad you’re here to share!

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

You have told us about the clubs that you, Freddie and the guys liked to frequent. Was there ever an occasion where you decided to pop into some smaller bar in your neighborhood instead of hitting a big club, or would that have been far too sedate for Freddie? Trying to picture you guys shooting some pool or playing darts! LOL.

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome ragstomorerags !

Spellbound.. that is how I feel whenever I watch Queen at Live Aid or Freddie singing "You Take My Breath Away" at Hyde Park...and so many other moments.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 01:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Ragstomorerags! This is a great group of people you've found...…….

mayqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 02:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whew! I feel a bit like I'm wading in at the tail end of things, but here I am! Not so much a newbie, but I had to take a limited hiatus from social media for a bit, and after many hours spent reading through the posts of both threads of Thor and Lee, I feel it was time well spent.

I'm so struck by the warmth, friendship, and sense of comminity that has transpired through these conversations, with the exception of a few loons Who Shall Not Be Named (wth is wrong with people?!) that I had to wade in, albeit it very late to the party. Thanks to all of you for the (mostly - see the aforementioned Loons) wonderful posts.

I've always loved Queen, and especially Freddie, not so much for the superstar (there is that), but for the stories of the warm, generous, funny, and very human man that he was. I remember skating to Another One Bites The Dust at the skating rink at 9 years old and going "WOW!!" and just HAD to badger my mom into buying me a couple albums and away I went.

I do have questions, but those can wait. I just wanted to say a huge heartfelt thank you to the beautiful Thor and Lee for sharing their memories and stories and the interaction they've graciously had with everyone. For talking about Freddie the man and how speical he was in an honest and positive manner, and keeping his memory and spirit alive, as he is in our hearts. I've been especially interested in some of Thor's stories woking in the medical field myself.

I'm rooting hard for the book project and finally found the gofundme link after digging like a Tolkien Dwarf. I'll be making use of that very soon!

PS: Apologies the the long-winded post. And a Happy Birthday to Sweetandtenderhooligan!

thundergod

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you MayQueen and welcome to the thread.
Just today, both threads have become equal at 113 pages. The original one was 147 when we left it. 32 pages were deleted. I believe these pages contained many of the worst, waste of time, trolling nonsense.
We hope to hear from you when you can...you seem like OUR kind of people!

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello mayqueen and welcome to QZ.

I think blenkolove’s description of this thread is perfect… a “For the Love of Freddie” quilt. So no one is at the tail end…just an important piece!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 03:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Great Big Welcome to ALL the new QZ followers!!!
May I please add a few more showtune selections to the 'Oh how I wish Freddie had sung these' list????
#1......Seems like a no-brainer considering Freddie's love of these furbabies....Cats!!! Freddie singing Memory would be sublime!!!!
And # 2, ANYTHING from Cabaret!!!!!
I can So visualize our Freddie singing these songs!!!! Oh yeah....All that Jazz from Chicago too!!!

thundergod

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great Broadway selections Blenkolove!

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove…nice choices…

Can you imagine Freddie singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone”. That would be intense! Sob....

thundergod

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good one Rainbow...I would love to hear that!

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddienotfreddy wrote:

Katydyd5,

Mother Love kills me! When Brain comes on to sing the last verse and you know why he has to sing the last verse..OMG! It gets me every time! I know this thread is mostly about Freddie, but here are two more emotional moments from Roger Taylor and Brian May regarding Freddie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgAHqNAisU&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2lGpkjia6o

ragstomorerags user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I apologize for this, I'm just doing a test. My last message didn't post, and I'm making sure I do this right before I try again.