Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

ragstomorerags user not visiting Queenzone.com

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, I'll try this again.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome. This is a refreshing, wonderful site, especially considering the troll cesspool that social media has become.

I saw two videos that I thought were cute and hilarious, and wondered if you all had seen them yet.

The first one was Freddie saving Brian from getting blown up by one of those onstage fireworks, as he wandered around all into playing his guitar.

The second was Freddie saving young John from getting smashed with drums as Roger tore up his drum kit in a fit of rage at the end of a show.

Obviously no one was hurt, and despite Freddie's antics onstage, he was very aware of everything around him. So we can add multitasker to this phenomenal man's qualities.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi ragstomorerags,

Do you happen to have the links to the videos you just referenced?

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will try to post the links, I'm having difficulty with regular posts lol
I'll figure it out!

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will try to post the links, I'm having difficulty with regular posts lol
I'll figure it out!

I'm having such difficulty with regular posts, bear with me.
I'll figure it out!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 19, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ragstomorerags,

thundergod

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ragstomorerags,

This happens to everyone at first. When you hit "post message" once, do not try to click a second time even if you think your message may not have gone through. It can take a while sometimes. I hope that helps.

thundergod

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HaHa...it just happened to me by accident.

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie saves Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C336a2XS84k

1:06

Freddie saves John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Q86m7IKoA

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL Thank you Thor

Patience is not one of my virtues, I will click and click!

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ragstomorerags.

Thanks for the links...you are very observant...I'm not sure I would have noticed those things.

mayqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the warm welcome to the thread.

Rainbow, your mentioning blenkolove’s description of this thread as
being a“For the Love of Freddie” quilt, and your comment of no one being at the tail end, they're just an important piece...what a truly beautiful sentiment, and it genuinely touches me. It's so true.

The mentions of Freddie perhaps singing on Broadway, or partaking in some part, brings to mind for me things of say,the film, The Greatest Showman (not exactly the best example, but gives an idea) not necessarily a taxing nightly performance, but a run in a film in a singing role performing. Things today are so varied, and for someone of his immense talent, the possibilities seem limitless. I hear things occasionally and can't help but think what he could have done with a particular piece.

A quick question to either Thor or Lee - there's no question of both Phoebe and Joe being wonderful cooks, but did any you crowd into the kitchen to dabble after your fun-filled excursions, or just collapse and grab what you could? Can't tell I skipped dinner tonight huh, food is very much on my mind!

thundergod

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HaHa, MayQueen,

Joe, Phoebe, and even Freddie himself would never have let us into the kitchen and destroy a perfectly good meal...LOL. He was quite pleased with Joe and Pheobe.

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, thank you for a much needed laugh. I may or may not have snorted at your reply. :)

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie would be 72 years old now. He said in an ’86 interview “I know there will be a time when I cannot run around on stage because it would be ridiculous…there comes a time when you have to stop.”. He goes on to say there are other areas of music he would explore such as production or song writing and that the music side would always be in his life. I was wondering...do you think he would still be performing in Queen today? I’m not sure Freddie would be satisfied with himself if he couldn’t set the stage on fire running back and forth, but I would have been thrilled to see him perform even if he only sat on a stool or stood in front of a mic. Think of the final song he and Brian did at Live Aid. He was sitting for most of it and he was still absolutely MAGNETIC. Over the years, Freddie had moved away from playing the piano as much, so maybe he would have made that a larger part of the shows again? I think he had the charisma, talent, and force of personality to continue drawing crowds today.

thundergod

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 06:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amen, Rainbow!

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well stated Rainbow! He was absolutely enthralling to watch at any time, and to hold a crowd's undivided attention while simply sitting and singing, as you said, magnetic! He absolutely had everything to continue pulling crowds in today. His voice alone, what he could express, his phrasing, what he made us feel when he sang. There's just nothing like it. I can't help but think he would be doing something musically, it seemed so instinctual for him. I'd be tickled pink to see him perform in any way. As you said, on a stool, just standing there, whatever brought him joy and left him feeling fulfilled.

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mayqueen,

I think Freddie would have had so many options…Queen, solo albums, remakes, collaborations, etc. His talent was not bound by age! I would have loved it all.

On a food note: If you are interested in what Freddie liked to eat, I would highly recommend Peter Freestone’s book “Freddie Mercury’s Royal Recipes.” In addition to the many recipes and color pictures, there are great little stories and snippets (such as Freddie disliked cold vegetables and greens…only ate hot veggies) . It was fun to read (and I don’t cook…I just purchased it for the stories) Thor and Lee…you are even in some of the pictures that Peter includes in the beginning. The site that I ordered it through is down now…so I think orders are done through Facebook. The copy I got was even signed by Peter!