Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 490 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, though I already have the cookbook, I was looking for a place to purchase it for someone else and was unable to find anything. Where can you order it through FB? As Rainbow says, it is a fun book loaded with stories and recipes that look so tempting. My problem is I'm too lazy to Google the metric equivalents so that I can try some of them. Freddie's favorite cheese biscuits look really easy to make and one of these days I'll take the plunge.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 539 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

The recipe for Jer's cheese biscuits is also in Peter's second Freddie book The Afterlife. I have made them several times and they are delicious!

I have just ordered a copy of Royal Recipe's from a seller on Amazon.co.uk. it is being shipped from Germany, but the main dispatch seems to be Czech Republic so I'm hoping that this (Apollo books) is the proper publisher and some proceeds are going to MPT. It cost £28.02 incl post and packing) I don't know if the seller sells to areas outside of Europe or what shipping costs would be.

I'm hoping I hear new tales of our lovely Freddie. There are quite a few anecdotes about Freddie courtesy of both Peter and lovely Joe Fanelli in The Afterlife Of Freddie Mercury, too. Hoping I get to hear some new ones.

I totally agree that Freddie exuded an absolutely hypnotic, magnetic presence. He draws the eye like a flame draws a moth. Amazing man.

I think that without Freddie's magnetic charisma drawing all of our attention to him, that shy John Deacon would never have stuck it out for so long. I think he effectively sheltered behind Freddie's magical cloak of stage presence (if I'm making any sense?) Though Freddie was a shy boy, he was willing to present himself to us for those brief periods of time when he was performing.

Hope everyone has had a good week.

Freddie Hugs to you all

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe you can order the book through Phoebe's section on Freddie Mercury.com

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I checked there Sweet, but I don't see it. Since I have my copy it's not critical for me to locate an outlet for purchasing the cookbook, but I was curious if anyone knew of a place. There was a huge discussion on FB one night, but no one could find anything.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 522 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling and Sweet,

Those are good leads for anyone interested. I checked the freddiemercury.com site, but couldn't find the book there either. However, that would be the logical place to look, so maybe in the future, they will sell it or provide a link to a site where you can order it. I definitely like the idea that some of the profits go to the MPT. Out of curiosity, I looked up the book on the amazon.co.uk site as well to see if they delivered to the US. When I put in my address it stated "The item cannot be sent to your selected address."

I'm glad I got mine when I did (back in December 2017). With the renewed interest in Freddie, I bet they try to resolve the shipping issues as soon as possible. I was given a choice of getting my book with or without Peter's signature. I thought the inscribed book would cost more, but the price was the same. Seemed like a no-brainer.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding the Freddie Mercury Royal Recipe Book, for anyone outside of Europe it's worthwhile contacting the seller via Amazon to ask if they would be willing to sell a copy to an address outside of Europe for extra cost (depending how eager you are to obtain a copy!)

When I needed to buy Brassica tea for my brother-in-law who had liver cancer and it was only available from a company in Baltimore, I got the same automatic response that they were unable to post to my best address, but after I contacted the company within 20 minutes they had enabled me to buy the tea bags (at additional shipping costs) from them . Worth considering if you're really eager to get a copy.

My copy is now dispatched and in transit! ??

I'm addicted to anything Freddie!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 07 Feb 19, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW I read that the reason that the Freddie Mercury website stopped selling them was that the was quite a history of the courier they selected failing to deliver books ordered. They said they were planning to rectify the problem and planned to try to sell via Amazon, so maybe that is why I was able to get my copy that way.

I cannot imagine that they will not roll out this option in the U.S. etc. as well.

Apparently my copy is being couriered by Hermes (ironic really as Hermes is the Greek equivalent of the Roman God Mercury! How apt !)

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ragstomorerags wrote:

Freddie saves Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C336a2XS84k

Thanks for sharing the videos, RTMR. I esp. liked 1:08 of “Tie Your Mother Down,” when Freddie fiercely beckons Brian away from the pyrotechnics. I could watch it in a continuous loop. The man can GESTICULATE! Imagine if Freddie had been born deaf mute. He would’ve been a marvel to observe communicating via sign language – so dramatic.

BTW, after almost a month of QZ, I FINALLY figured out how to “reply” to a specific post. It’s a proud feat! LOL

Lee and/or Thor, would you consider Freddie an introvert or an extrovert? I keep reading that he was “shy,” but he appeared to always need people around him ATC.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1713 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 01:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say that Freddie was a 20% introvert and an 80% extrovert. Among the people he knows and likes, he was 100% extrovert. Among mostly strangers, that other 20% could show, but then again, not always.

sammyfrankfreddie96 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 03:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With all the talk of Freddie singing Broadway music, it made me think of something else I wish happened--a meeting between him and Sammy Davis Jr.

Can you imagine the two of them in their performing prime trying to one-up each other onstage? And both of them the absolute best in their respective musical fields. And then trying to sing each other's songs, what a great time that would have been! I know Freddie knew Liza Minelli to an extent, I wonder if such a meeting ever took place, albeit briefly?

One funny thing in talking about Freddie and Sammy is that they were both amazingly similar with their awareness of the condition of their singing voices. When Sammy's voice wasn't working he constantly changed notes and melodies in the moment without a thought in the exact same way Freddie does on the nights his voice isn't working so hot. You REALLY gotta be on your toes to just come up with a new melody in the moment!

I have always rated all singers, whether they be rock singer-Broadway singer-crooner etc. on the same scale. Freddie, for me, is in the top 5 favorite singers with Sinatra, Sammy etc. He brings the same care of feeling and emotion to a song and is really the only rock singer I've heard move me with lyrics the way Sinatra and Sammy do, which is why I was so drawn to him to begin with! Just a random musing.

I know some people scoff at those who came to Queen simply because of Freddie, but for me he really is what drove me to the group, and it was those reasons! Not just the voice itself, but the phrasing, the feeling, the emotion...it just grabs you in a way very few gifted singers do. Everyone always talks about "the amazing voice" with Freddie, but I think on a subconscious level the reason we all hold Freddie as the gold standard of rock vocalists is just how much he brought to his singing of a lyric...you always felt what he was singing. Not everyone has that, and I certainly don't always hear it in the very little rock I listen to.

Okay! Rambling over. Sorry haha.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sammyfrankfreddie! Amen! I agree absolutely! (your pseudonym gives us a clue as to your musical heroes)

BTW Re Freddie saying both Brian and John from incidences on stage Pete "Ratty" Hince said in his book how Freddie was always aware of everything on stage, i.e. where the mic chord was and stepping over it, and not getting it tangled (pre Magic Tour they didn't use radio mics) and that Brian was always oblivious to all that and just sunk into his playing, and cues from band mates and had tunnel vision regarding the hardware, so Freddie also had to keep his chords and Brian's chords from getting tangled up ! Yes! A brilliant multi-tasker! All this while performing his little heart out!

Hope we all have a great weekend!

It's howling a gale and tiddling down with rain here in England!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Folks

If anyone wants to check out the link below they will see one of my latest Freddie indulgences!

Do you all know about the Neca 18" Singing Freddie figure that was brought out in 2006 ? They are commanding a hell of a price now, but last week I got very lucky on eBay! I'd been looking for an affordable one, and a couple of days before I was out bid for another one (I bid £67) and this lovely chap appeared 2 days later as a new listing. Opening bids of £29.99 plus £2.95 post and packing and a Make An Offer option. He was listed as "fair" condition, and has no mic, and they said no sound. They had tried batteries in him but he only buzzed.

I offered £37 plus p&p and they accepted. I received him on Sunday (via Hermes again!) I tried batteries in him and off he sang like an Angel! Guess he had a sore throat, or just didn't like the previous audience! Anyhow, he sings beautifully for me and I'm chuffed with him! What a bargain! There's another one, no mic and in not as good condition priced at £149.99 !

It was destiny that he came to me! :-)

Hope you all love him........

https://youtu.be/-G1SAA1h48s

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG....Freddiedarling!!!!!

HE IS AMAZING!!!! YOU ARE SO FORTUNATE TO HAVE HIM.....AND AT SUCH A GREAT PRICE!!!
CHERISH HIM!!!
YOU MADE A 'DARK DAY A LITTLE BRIGHTER FOR ME!!!!!
THANK YOU X O

FreddieDarling

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Blenkolove, my dear! Glad you like him, he's a doll in more ways than one. I give him a hug and a peck on those dimpled cheeks every night! I cherish him! He's great buddies with my tailor made Freddie! :-)

Hope your days get brighter soon, my friend!

Hope we all have a nice, relaxing weekend full of love. I'm off shopping tomorrow and then to my favourite Tanzanian/Zanzibari coffee house for an East African Coffee and a Mandazi (African Doughnut!) The coffee shop is called Karibu but after I told my sister Freddie hailed from Tanzania(Zanzibar) she re-Christened it Freddie's,- so it's off to Freddie's we go! :-D !!

Bye Folks!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddiedarling,
Give your Freddie dolls a peck on the cheek from me!! Oh how I wish I could jump into a transporter and meet you and your sister at 'Freddie's'for a DELISH cup of East African roast! Maybe One Day Someday!!! We have Starbucks and McCafe galore but not too many independent coffee houses here. I may set out tomorrow in search of a 'Freddie's ' style cafe of my own!!! Fresh hot coffee is one of my Favorite things on this planet!! (It's Right up there with Freddie/Queen, Andy Garcia, My grands, Animals, Good Movies/Stories and Amazing Friends!!!!)
Enjoy your day with your Sister.....you are fortunate to have one another!!!
Ttfn

FreddieDarling

Posted: 08 Feb 19, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove, I'd love to share my lovely Freddie's coffee house with you! They make the most delectable strong rich coffee (I drink strong black, unsweetened Americano)

Yes I am very very fortunate to have my sister. She is my best friend and my soul mate, something which I tell her regularly.

If you've never tried warm freshly baked Mandazi you're missing out on a treat! They are subtly flavoured with cardamom and are delicious. Wonder if Freddie's lovely Mom ever made them?
The Tanzanian family who run the business are lovely. They are of a seemingly similar ethnic type as our lovely Freddie, too. They have a lovely East African theme running throughout their coffee shop.

I love a cup of tea, too. Strong "builders tea" preferably Yorshire Tea, or Nambarrie.(both tea brands)

We have Starbucks, Costa, Pret a Manger, Cafe Nero etc etc etc everywhere in my city (Britain's second city!),too but I too prefer indie traders.

Take Care all.

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, I love the doll! I've never bought from eBay, and I'm almost afraid to look to see what Freddie merch they have.

mayqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 03:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling that doll is simply adorable! It made my day and brought a huge smile to my face.

Regarding the recipe book, there is a Facebook page, "Freddie Mercury's Royal Recipes" that Phoebe directed me to. I spoke with Michaela there and she said "we need a little time more to finish all IT services and links to put our international e-shop in order again. We had to change shipping company and we are hard working on it every day. I hope next week e-shop will be ready to start sell book in US as well" ... so hopefully, soon on that. I do like to cook, and love to bake, so quite looking forward to it.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 522 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Did you know Freddie was involved with Jim Hutton before you went to England for the Wembley show, or did you find out once you got there? Do you recall how Freddie introduced Jim to you? Did he refer to him as his boyfriend or partner…or was it just obvious that they were in a relationship and nothing had to be said?

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTW, 2 errors in my last post! I meant to type MADE not BAKED, as Mandazi are fried not baked.

YorKshire Tea, NOT Yorshire Tea! Doh!!!!

My messages are always full of typos ! I do try to remember to proof read before posting, and spelling and grammar errors are real hackle raisers for me, but somehow or other some always slip through the net! ?? Sorry!