Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 533 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn! Did it again! AS spelling and grammar...., NOT "and" !

And I forgot the no emoticon rule!
I'm just a hopeless case!!!!

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@FreddieDarling
@Blenkolove

this seems to be the same doll :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ry7AyDBHMY

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevendabudgie......
Once Again...........Priceless!!
TY

Keep 'em coming!!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stevendabudgie,

So cute...If that doesn't make a person smile, nothing will! I hope you have more of those to share. Even the animal world loves Freddie!

FreddieDarling,

Don't worry about the typos...we've all done that. To be honest, most of the time I don't really notice typos (unless the original writer points them out). Usually they don't change the meaning of a sentence. I think my brain just naturally auto-corrects.

We, the QueenZone posters far and wide, should just agree that EVERYONE makes mistakes on occasion, and so in the spirit of being human, let this suffice as a one-time blanket apology that covers all of us for any errors of spelling, grammar, and syntax that we will make now and in the future for the duration of this thread! :)

Lastly...All of you for whom English is not your first language, kudos to you for sharing on QueenZone. I wish I could write in a second language. I am SO impressed when you do so. I hope many more of you join us. We certainly don't mind if your English is developing...we will figure it out. So if any of you have held back for that reason...please join in the fun!

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevendabudgie: LOVE that cockatiel! Isn't it a clever little bird? Bless it. If that bird isn't called Freddie then there is no justice!

Thanks for the link ! I've downloaded the little feller.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow,
Jim Hutton was a bit shy among new people, but Freddie did introduce us to him with a great amount of pride. I believe he said something like, "this is my new husband, girls."

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 19, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha Ha Stevendabudgie,
Is that a "budgie" on Freddie's arm. Do you own that doll?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 19, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, thanks for sharing the story of your introduction to Jim. I like knowing that Freddie was proud to share him with you. It seems like he really had found what he had been looking for in Jim.

ragstomorerags user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 10 Feb 19, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So glad you enjoyed them! The drum incident is very hard to see, I feel like that one would be even more dramatic!

After I took up a page with the same comment, I went back to reading.

:D

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 19, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Thundergod

Unfortunately it´s not my doll.
And budgies and cockatiels are different species :D

https://bobandsuewilliams.com/images/cockatiels-budgie-10.jpghttps://cdn.omlet.co.uk/images/originals/budgies_and_cockatiels.jpg

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 19, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Hey there, spiralstatic,

OMG, a recording of Freddie playing "Send in the Clowns" on the piano...I was stunned, now learning that 1/2 of my dream had actually come true. I wish he would have sung as well, but hey, just to know that Freddie liked that song enough to play it and play it so beautifully, leaves me happily content!
Thank you so much for sharing that spiralstatic.

I'm a little late on my return, but it's really moving isn't it. I don't know whether Freddie liked the song. I have heard about the recording that he learned the piano part and played it for Jim Hutton as Jim loved the song. :)

I'm just glad I was able to bring a clip that was a new discovery for you. :) Of course it would be lovely to hear Freddie sing it too, but we can imagine and the piano is really beautiful and sensitively played I think.

Rainbow61 wrote:

Freddie would be 72 years old now. He said in an ’86 interview “I know there will be a time when I cannot run around on stage because it would be ridiculous…there comes a time when you have to stop.”. He goes on to say there are other areas of music he would explore such as production or song writing and that the music side would always be in his life. I was wondering...do you think he would still be performing in Queen today? I’m not sure Freddie would be satisfied with himself if he couldn’t set the stage on fire running back and forth, but I would have been thrilled to see him perform even if he only sat on a stool or stood in front of a mic. Think of the final song he and Brian did at Live Aid. He was sitting for most of it and he was still absolutely MAGNETIC. Over the years, Freddie had moved away from playing the piano as much, so maybe he would have made that a larger part of the shows again? I think he had the charisma, talent, and force of personality to continue drawing crowds today.

Oh Rainbow61 you make me so sad! I adore Freddie's piano playing. Unfortunately for me, I'm too young to have seen Queen live and so I only discovered Queen after Freddie was no longer with us, but when I listen to their music, I really miss it when Freddie begins to use the piano less and less. To imagine that in later years he might have begun to use piano more and more again makes me feel an ache in my heart - imagining that I could have seen him make music live, and not only that - but playing piano himself too! Oh just imagine what he might have written, but more than that even if he hadn't written a single other note I'd love to imagine him just here in 2018. It's such a different world I think now to 1991. Well I imagine might have liked that in some ways and not in others?! Anyway, it is a sorry path to begin thinking along this route.

I am sure Freddie would always have continued to be creative. I can't imagine him being happy playing music from long ago and I see him moving on to new things. I hope Queen would have continued to create new music. But I can imagine them spending a lot more time on their individual interests too.

Given what Freddie was doing with Montserrat Caballé, I wonder whether he might have written a full opera of his own one day (maybe incorporating dance or rock too or maybe straight opera.)

I think of someone like Rufus Wainwright who has now written two operas.... but I imagine Freddie maybe paving the way much earlier. I can just imagine him all dressed up, going in to watch his first opera...

But maybe he would have created something entirely new none of us can remotely conceive of. Probably he would have.... sigh....

sammyfrankfreddie96 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 19, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love how this is both a Q&A thread and just a "General Freddie Gushing" threat, its marvelous.
I must admit this also seems to be the only fully friendly thread on the whole website...the atmosphere is very kind! I love it :)

Freddie introduced me to so many amazing new pieces of music. I'm a musical theatre performer and don't have even a remotely rock voice or Freddie range but I've attempted a couple Freddie Mercury and Queen covers...I've wanted to try sharing them on the forum but am afraid they'd get torn to shreds. I figured maybe the people here might be more forgiving so I'll just drop them here and hope for the best...so if anyone has ever been curious what these songs sound like sung by a classic-trained theatre singer:
-Who Wants to Live Forever?
(the "and we can LOOOOVE forever" is clearly a bit high for me, sorry about that take)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DiXW_SxNg

-The Great Pretender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXyUWe0zyE8

-The Show Must Go On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZRfnB9BFc

Constructive feedback is very welcomed by fellow Freddie fans!

Some more Freddie gushing:
"Who Wants to Live Forever?" has definitely become my favorite Queen song and one of my favorite songs ever written. There's a genius moment in the song we all know but I just wanted to gush about.
The "and we can LOOOOVE forever", where Freddie hits the D5. On the surface it seems like its written to add an impressive high note. But it does so much more. To me, it takes an incredibly important line in the song, and adds a huge, extra emotional punch to the word "LOVE" to help put across the emotional intensity of the song and the line. That is always the line in the song that, if I'm gonna cry at the song, makes me cry because of just how big a punch that high note adds to the emotional depth of the song. Its a damn impressive note, but its the emotional feeling the note adds that makes the note important to the melody line, and it truly wouldn't be the same song without it.

RAMBLING AGAIN, sorry haha

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 19, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW!!! Sammyfrankfreddie,
You are very brave to put yourself out there like that.....but this is a very kind QZ community.....and I'm glad that you felt comfortable enough to share these covers with us!!!!!
I listened to all the covers of Freddie you put on YT. The Show must Go On and Who Wants to Live Forever BOTH gave me goose bumps!!!! REALLY Well done!!!! ......Please don't take this the wrong way, and maybe you have heard it before, but I detect a wee bit of Adam Lambert in your voice. I think Adam is Fabulous!!!!!!
Send more links to your covers.....You have a Beautiful voice!! Thank You for sharing!!!

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 19, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sammyfrankfreddie96 wrote:

I love how this is both a Q&A thread and just a "General Freddie Gushing" threat, its marvelous.
I must admit this also seems to be the only fully friendly thread on the whole website...the atmosphere is very kind! I love it :)

Freddie introduced me to so many amazing new pieces of music. I'm a musical theatre performer and don't have even a remotely rock voice or Freddie range but I've attempted a couple Freddie Mercury and Queen covers...I've wanted to try sharing them on the forum but am afraid they'd get torn to shreds. I figured maybe the people here might be more forgiving so I'll just drop them here and hope for the best...so if anyone has ever been curious what these songs sound like sung by a classic-trained theatre singer:
-Who Wants to Live Forever?
(the "and we can LOOOOVE forever" is clearly a bit high for me, sorry about that take)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DiXW_SxNg

-The Great Pretender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXyUWe0zyE8

-The Show Must Go On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZRfnB9BFc

Constructive feedback is very welcomed by fellow Freddie fans!

Some more Freddie gushing:
"Who Wants to Live Forever?" has definitely become my favorite Queen song and one of my favorite songs ever written. There's a genius moment in the song we all know but I just wanted to gush about.
The "and we can LOOOOVE forever", where Freddie hits the D5. On the surface it seems like its written to add an impressive high note. But it does so much more. To me, it takes an incredibly important line in the song, and adds a huge, extra emotional punch to the word "LOVE" to help put across the emotional intensity of the song and the line. That is always the line in the song that, if I'm gonna cry at the song, makes me cry because of just how big a punch that high note adds to the emotional depth of the song. Its a damn impressive note, but its the emotional feeling the note adds that makes the note important to the melody line, and it truly wouldn't be the same song without it.

RAMBLING AGAIN, sorry haha

Brady, these are so beautiful. There's so much emotion in your singing.

I feel your voice suits Who Wants to Live Forever especially well. And it has to be said, that as Freddie fans, we're surely your harshest critics and hardest audience. Your version of Who Wants to Live Forever actually brought tears to my eyes at the start of it! Really moved me. Thank you so much for sharing it.

And I enjoyed hearing the other songs too, which you sang wonderfully. Wonderfully impressive in the middle/second half of The Great Pretender I must say too! Just saying that I especially loved your version of Who Wants to Live Forever.

I know entirely what you mean about the forum, though I can't believe that you'd worry anyone would be mean about someone with a beautiful & emotive voice such as yours. I certainly hope they wouldn't.

OK, I'm now going to listen to Freddie sing Who Wants to Live Forever, bearing the beautiful words you had to say about it and the meaning you feel in how he sings that climactic "love". :)

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 19, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bravo, Brady Love! As Paula Abdul of "American Idol" used to remark, "You took the song and made it your own." "The Show Must Go On" and "Who Wants to Live Forever" are in my personal Top 10 Queen songs. Do you take requests? How about Deaky's "Spread Your Wings?" LOL

Posted: 11 Feb 19, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I applaud you Sammy for putting yourself out there on a QZ forum. I, too, enjoyed all three covers, though I'm going to be the first to say "The Great Pretender" was my favorite. I smiled all the way through because you sounded like you were having fun too. "The Show Must Go On" is so powerful, and you conveyed the power wonderfully. "Who Wants To Live Forever" is a personal favorite and your voice enabled me to hear your love for the lyrics too. Very nice!! It was a pleasure to hear you pour your heart into these songs.

I have to be honest and tell you I checked out your site since you used your real name and have marked it to take a closer look later. You have an impressive body of work, playing many characters familiar to me. I admire you for following your dream! (I'm editing this post to tell you that I just went and listened to "Bring Him Home" on your site. It was incredibly beautiful)

Posted: 11 Feb 19, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Congratulations to Rami Malek for his Best Actor BAFTA award!! One more to go! Congratulations also to Bohemian Rhapsody for the Sound award. Seeing Brian and Roger in the audience showing such joy and pride makes me wish yet again that Freddie could have been there and experienced this too. He would have loved it!

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 19, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome SammyFrankFreddie96,

In peter Freestone's second book he tells a story of Freddie inviting Liza Minelli to Garden Lodge. Becuse he was nervous, he also invited Peter Straker. Peter then says that Freddie got mad at Peter Straker for dominating the conversation and that was one of the reasons Freddie cut Straker out during the last year of his life.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 19, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi All.
I’m sending out another “thank you all so much” for the kind words of support and enthusiasm.
The tone of the blog is so inviting.
SammyFrankFreddie referred to it as “a kind atmosphere”, AND he likes Musicl Theatre?
I’m in !!!
SFF96, I am also looking forward to hear you perform a queen song.
I am classically trained as well, but would never attempt to sing Queen except in the car or
the shower. HA!
Rainbow-I think Thor nailed it when he quoted what Freddie said when introducing Jim that first time.
He MIGHT have told us over the phone before we got there, but that was a long time ago.
Was it SpiralStatic that asked if Freddie had created anything on the classical side.
The Barcelona album gave us a rock and opera hybrid that wasn’t really A rock opera, but I loved it, and so did Ms Caballe.
Who asked about the cast of characters in that al fresco dinner video? I can’t find the question now. Ask again, please.
I just watched it for the first time in a while the other day. I SO clearly remember that day.
It’s fun that it was taped. I wish there were more of those tapes.
Mary Queen- on several occasions we all would sit around the table in the kitchen. Freddie had a tv area in the main room
of the first floor where he spent a lot of time, but it wasn’t unusual for him to be at the table with us in the kitchen.
Phoebe and Joe were always busy with something in there, and I vaguely remember helping cut vegetables.
Being Italian and in the Food Service industry so long, just sitting and watching wasn’t an option. As I mentioned
before, Freddie himself planned wonderful dinners for us when we were there in 1991, beautifully executed by Joe
and Phoebe. Freddie would send us off in the morning to “do” the streets of London, and would have dinner waiting for us when we got home
from our trek through the city. He was too tired to join us, unfortunately, but was always “up” and fun during dinner. He DID take us out to lunch one day.
I wish I could remember where we went. We snuck him out through the front door of the Mews where we were camped so as to try and fool
the paparazzi who were always lying in wait. I think we did a good job, because I don’t believe we were followed. A funny thing happened at the table
with the waitress. She thought she needed to tell him that “fromage” meant cheese. He was very polite to her, but when she walked away...OMG
We certainly laughed at his reaction.
Phoebe’s cook book!
I totally forgot about that. I HAVE to get a copy. Maybe we can serve a Freddie snack at our book signings. LOL
Phoebe will be calling us this weekend when Thor once again descends on the desert, and i’ll make a note to ask him where
we can get the book.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 19, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"this is my new husband, girls

I just fell over, because that's the cutest thing. Thank you for sharing!