Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 545 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sammyfrankfreddie96,

Thank you so much for sharing your songs with us. It is always a pleasure to listen to someone sing from the heart. I found your rendition of “Who Wants To Live Forever” especially moving. The way you talked about Freddie singing that song and the emotion your find in his high notes conveys your deep respect for him. It was quite interesting to read your comments from your performer's perspective. I’m glad you were able to turn your joy of music into a career.

I also went to your website....The tribute to your Grandfather was BEAUTIFUL!!!

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw, "Freddie Mercury, the great pretender," on REELZ, more than one person said Freddie and that Barbara woman did have a sexual relationship....I forget who, but, I'm sure someone here had said, they didn't... there's too much to go back and re-read.

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 06:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

Being a classically trained singer yourself, what Freddie songs especially impress you...ones that you think are particularly difficult to sing? I listen to Queen music every day while driving to and from work. I sing along to everything...quite poorly I might add...but I do sing with gusto! Oh...in my mind, I am also playing guitar just like Brian.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sammyfrankfreddie! Another amazing rendition of another wonderful song. You, my friend are seriously talented.

This seems to me, to not be an easy song to sing with its intricate melody and pitch changes, and the sheer passion needed to sing it well, but, as I suspected from the previous 3 songs you linked us to, you sang it to perfection!

Freddie would be proud that he was your backing singer on this! :-) As Mike Moran has said, Freddie sang backing vocals like an Angel, and there was nobody better! He backs up your rendition of his favour song like the Angel he is! You'd have done wonderful duets with the great man!

Thank you!

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone!
I found this thread a few days ago (as well as the first one) and have been glued to the computer almost non-stop since. I thought it was finally time to stop lurking and at least say hello.

I can’t express how cool it is of Thor and Lee to share their memories with Freddie here. Thank you guys, it’s been an absolutely thrilling read!
A little bit about me: I’ve been a huge Queen (and Freddie, in particular) fan ever since I found several of their records in my parents’ collection as a kid. In fact, I first discovered and registered on QZ when I was about 12 (27 now. No idea what my original username was, though lol.). I was completely obsessed for ages, but eventually moved on. Then, 2-3 years ago I caught the bug again and am back devouring everything Queen and Freddie related I can get my hands on. It would seem that once caught, the Queen fever never leaves you lol.

Anyway, that’s enough of my waffling. Thor and Lee, best of luck finding a publisher for the book (would love to read it)! I’m looking forward to continuing to read this thread and maybe even posting in it occasionally as well.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie: that movie is such a load of garbage. The only person to say Barbara slept with Freddie was Barbara, and it's been debunked by EVERYONE, including her own daughter.

She also said he was violent with her, so I don't really believe what that woman had to say

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kathleen,

You all looked gorgeous in the Garden video. I love how he was laughing and you all looked so happy!

ForFreddie

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweetandtenderhooligan: a couple of people, not just Barbara say she and Freddie had a sexual relationship.... people who were in Freddie's life and, actually knew him.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to you Koala!

This is indeed a great thread and enrichedd for having Thor and Lee share their memories of their times with our lovely Freddie.

I hope you will continue to enjoy the thread and participate enever you feel the need.

All intelligent and decent people are very welcome here! :-)

Welcome, Welcome !

FreddieDarling

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A full 40 minutes of the Garden Lodge tapes if anyone doesn't have it already.

How I love Freddie all relaxed .

https://youtu.be/IGTIkS0mPx0

sammyfrankfreddie96 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Rainbow61:
Thank you so much for the kind words!!! I'm really hoping to sing WWTLF onstage someday soon. I love that song so, so much.
Also, I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to my tribute to my Grandfather, thank you so much for listening and your comment. It truly means a lot :)

@FreddieDarling:
Yay!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D Oh goodness it's not an easy song to sing haha, you have to take into account all the high notes BUT also Freddie's stylistic intentions and staying true to his original intentions with the song and it's soul influences.
And its so fun being able to find the tracks with Freddie's original backing harmonies on them, just terrific! I love using them, and the fact you say you think he'd be proud to be my backing singer makes it all the better haha! Thank you :)

All the positive feedback on my Queen covers here has really given me a boost in confidence on my ability to do them. I seem to usually be looked at as a one trick pony and people only want to hear me do Broadway music, so this has really been wonderful for me...thank you all :)

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie: As far as I know, no one in his life has said that. I trust Phoebe over Barbara any day.

I really don't know why people struggle with the face that Freddie was a proud gay man. I think it's wonderful

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie: As far as I know, no one in his life has said that. I trust Phoebe over Barbara any day.

I really don't know why people struggle with the face that Freddie was a proud gay man. I think it's wonderful

ForFreddie

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish I could remember the names of the people who were speaking, but, they sounded like they knew Freddie personally/intimately....one person being interviewed was Peter, I do believe.

In any case, what does it matter, if it was said to dispell the gay angle, well, everyone pretty much already knew Freddie was gay and, most people didn't care.

Posted: 12 Feb 19, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter stated specifically that Freddie did not sleep with Barbara. Come on, stop spreading this rumor.

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 00:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

In any pictures I have seen taken from the grounds of Garden Lodge, it looks very private and lovely. When you see photos of the area taken from outside the fence, it looks like there are quite a few taller buildings around Freddie's home. It is hard to get a sense of how close those buildings actually are, never having been there before. Did it feel as private and secluded as it looked, or were there sections of the yard where you felt like you could be in view of someone from a nearby home who happened to be looking out an upper story window?

This might have been asked before, but what did you think of Freddie's koi pond?

ForFreddie

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweetandtenderhooligan.....I'm not spreading a rumour, I'm repeating what I heard a person say while being interviewed on a story about Freddie.....if anyone is spreading around something that isn't true, it's that person....and, he wasn't the only one.... did you ever see that piece that aired on REELZ, about Freddie? THEY are saying it, not me, I just repeated it.

Anyway, so what if he did? Is anyone going to think any less of him? Does it really matter now?

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey All,

I am going for another intense book meeting with Lee tomorrow until next Tues.
Thankfully, it is scheduled to rain in Palm Springs, so there will be no distractions by warm, beautiful weather...LOL
I've sent another 10 or so, queries out. Still waiting to hear from them.
We were accepted by Page Publishers recently, but with their unbelievably "perfect deal", everything pointed toward Vanity Press and they wanted money just to sign the contract and then extra charges for every service. They denied that, of course, and are still sending me "come-on" messages despite our refusal.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, as much as I enjoy Queen, I so enjoy the calmer moments. Either at the piano, or in a close up video.
I seem to be drawn to the slower numbers. I don’t want to call them ballads, but just “kicked back”. Would one call We Are The Champions a ballad?
I don’t care what they call it I like that style of his work. I also enjoyed his solo album. His disco “stylings” were very fun to me. Having more of a
theatre/crooning kind of voice, myself, I could NEVER pull off a disco number like he could so naturally.

Freddie had several taller properties around Garden Lodge. As I recal, and I could be wrong, I don’t remember being able to see any neighbors windows, which meant THEY couldn’t see the garden. Freddie once mentioned that he knew there were visual intruders that could see everyone coming and going from the street entrance.
Diana Rigg lived across the street. Not sure if he told us that in 86 or 91, but it definitely when we were at the house.
The wall around the property was brick, maybe 7 feet tall? I LOVED how the door would open bekoning you in. I went to look at the house the last time I was London YIKES 2007. I’m due a trip. Mary had added additional height to the wall, to prevent intruders. I don’t doubt that it can be a title difficult for her with so many people looking for the house. Each brick of the front wall was turned into a tribute for all that passed by. They would speak of their love for him, or how sad they were at his lost, etc. I have a shot fo it that will be in the book. It’s one of few that we are using that has been seen, but this one is my photo. There’s a photo with the same shot as mine on the internet. I heard that Mary had the notes removed from the bricks. Did someone here tell us that?
The Coi pond. STUNNING. I fed them with Freddie when we were there the last time. There IS a shot of me at the pond solo. At that point of the morning we left we were taking some photos and Freddie hadn’t yet decided that he wanted to be in the photos. That story I have told, and it’s in the book.

Hi Koala - Welcome to our little world here. Don’t be a stranger. We’d love to hear from you, and if it’s a question we’ve already answered, there ARE some stories worth repeating for sure.

FreddieDarling - THANKS for the extended video of the al fresco soirée. I didn’t know it existed. Can’t wait to see it, and then I’ll supply a narrative. LOL

Oh well. That’s it for February 12, 2019.

Did I miss anyone’s question? Please let me know.

‘Til tomorrow.
Ciao
XO.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HaHa Lee,
We must have been typing at the same time!