Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HaHa Lee,
We must have been typing at the same time!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Koala! It's been great to see so many new people here.

Lee, you missed my question, and I'll be the first to admit it wasn't anything important and it has been partially discussed here before, but I'm still curious. Freddie was so powerful on stage, so larger-than-life that it took me a while to realize he wasn't tall, and he was actually built very thin. In the GL tape of the al fresco dining, both you and Thor look very tall, well over six feet. Are you as tall as you appear in the video? Freddie is definitely looking up at both of you.

I often wonder if Freddie would have been able to enjoy the same privacy he had at Garden Lodge today. As much as the press hounded him, I sometimes think it is even worse now. I've often wondered about the surrounding buildings that Rainbow mentioned. I also wonder about drones invading the privacy. I'm glad it was a beloved retreat for him then.

One more question. Did you guys ever meet Terry Giddings? He seemed so loyal to Freddie then, and almost another member of his "family". I've seen him interviewed in some of the documentaries and he seems like he really loved Freddie. Freddie seemed to have the kind of personality that drew people in and inspired loyalty.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The person who claimed he fucked Barbara was Lesley Ann Jones. The idiot who started those rumors to begin with. Then they edited David Wigg in that channel 5 bull to make it look like his joke about being asked to join a threeesome was real. Peter Freestone said they shared a bed together but they never had sex. He clarified it serval times since then. Barbara never said they had sex or were real lovers on anything official. She was on the untold story and said herself she was just a friend. It matters because it's one more ridiculous lie about a man who isnt here to defend himself anymore. That woman claimed he tried to kill her. Physically harmed her AND hid his AIDS diagnosis from her after he found out, putting her life on the line. Bullshit. Freddie had far too good a heart to do that to anyone. Not to mention the man had to hide his sexuality all his life to protect his career. I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to it being erased or mislabeled in his death. PS that "docudrama" was so hideously inaccurate that Brian and Freddie's mom tried to get it stopped right before her death. When it came out, brian issued an apology to the fans on his soapbox. "Dont blame us folks. We tried to get it stopped. At least Mrs.Bulsara didnt have to see it air" she had died right before it came out. There's a reason Peter Freesrone wasn't in it. And anything with Lesley Ann Jones in it should be enough for anyone with common sense to see it's a lie.

Freddie found out he had AIDS in 87. She admitted he cut his finger once and screamed at her not to help. She said she didnt find out he had it until 89. Freddie told all his lovers in 1987 that he had it. As far back as 1982 with Joe. He told Joe who he stopped fucking in 82 but he hid it from Barbara who she claimed fucked him in 84 and 85? Yeah right. And i'm Paul McCartney's bastard son.

Not everything you see on TV is true about celebrities friend. Refer only to trusted sources. Peter Freestone Dennis DeWitt and Chris Taylor knew them both and all have the same story to tell: it never happened.

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 03:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet thanks for standing up against that stupid Barbara thing. Anyone who buys into that garbage is saying Freddie was a piece of shit who abused and endangered people he cared about. Not mention its mislabeling a gay man who had to hide it all his life as bi. A ridiculous and massively offensive thing to put on the shoulders of a dead legend.

Barbara took over beard duty for Mary when Freddie lived in Germany. They were friends. Who never had a sexual relationship.

"I once asked Freddie after seeing the photos of them in the paper if he fucked Barbara. Maybe he'd switched teams. He looked at me as if I was mad and said 'Please! She's a cow!'. No they were absolutely never lovers." -Chris 'Crystal' Taylor.

thundergod

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Dusty,
Glad you chimed in!

Charlies boy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlies boy
Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never understood how anyone could possibly believe that Freddie slept with Barbara. It's so easily disproven. The fact that she never made the claim on anything official speaks volumes. Then you realize there's no mention of a sexual or romantic relationship between them mentioned in any of Peters books (who was close with both of them) and nothing in Jim's. Odd that Jim would mention Winnie as a lover and boyfriend to Freddie in his book but call Barbara a friend when Lesley Jones claims they were passionate lovers. Hmm....a man struggles with his sexuality for years....cries during sex with a woman saying he needs a man...then avoids sex with his following girlfriend so much so that she figures out he's gay before he even dreams of coming out.....he travels the world with an unquenchable desire for sex....and never shows interest in a single woman at all...plenty of men but no women from 1975 to 1984

Then he just...flips and jumps in bed with a woman who looks polar opposite to the women he tried dating in college? And nobody close to him mentioned this in their books? And Freddie denies it when asked? He doesn't feel the need to tell her he has aids for years after his diagnosis too? Hmm....I dont think you need a crystal ball to figure this one out.

What she was was shrinking star who used Freddie (after he died might I add. Dead men can't call your bullshit) to boost her own name. Peter talked about Freddie catching her lying in his first book. He said Freddie had her as a beard (fake girlfriend for the press) to avoid being outed as gay. Which is also why he still brought Mary to functions. And Freddie found it very strange that any and every time he and Barbara went out somewhere the press would suddenly show up and start snapping photos. She would grab his hand and kiss him for the cameras and Winnie (his actual lover) would be made to walk behind them. Every single time. Freddie (not being mentally challenged) looked into it and found that the press that were showing up everywhere he went with Barbara were friends of hers and she had been calling them to let them know where they would be each night. Freddie cut her off for a few years because he also found out she wasn't just happy being his beard. No no. She told the press they were getting married!

Barbara was a leech. He made the mistake of speaking with her again and she waited until he was good and dead before looking for tabliod writers to sell her stories too. Each time she told them, they got more and more wild. Her mistake was not keeping up with her own dates and claims.

The Barbara/bi lie is right up there in cringey annoying crap as the Princess Diana in drag story. Yawn.

thundergod

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And Charlie's Boy,
A big welcome, and thank you very much for your observations and understanding of this topic.

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 04:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor

Sorry to hear about that publishing company not working out. With the movie winning so many awards I'm surprised publishers aren't jumping at this. I have to belie it will come out at some point. With all the stories you guys are letting us in on here I'm really interested to see the photos that correlate with some of them. Wishing you guys good luck.

thundergod

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin,
If you can find the time, please check in with us as much as you are able. We've become somewhat "pest" free. I know you've engaged with some of them, but forget them and just give us your keen observations. Besides, we need a few more men to contribute here! No offense ladies. I love you all!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Koala and Charles boy...welcome to QueenZone!

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Did the two of you ever see Freddie's other home, Stafford Terrace? I believe Freddie still owned it after he moved into Garden Lodge.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It looks like Peter Freestone's cookbook can be ordered through this website:

http://www.freddiemercurysroyalrecipes.com/

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddienotFreddy, thanks for the link. That looks like the site where I ordered my copy some time ago. I looked at the book again the other day and I vow to try some of the recipes. Even if I never hit the kitchen once the stories in the book are great!

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You all are acting like I am saying/accusing Freddie of having slept with Barbara, I've been accused of spreading rumors, when all I did was comment on what I heard a couple of people say, on a REELZ TV program... I wasn't trying to smear anyone's name, I was hoping for someone to clear things up for me, because, unlike some of you, I didn't know Freddie personally, so, must rely on those who did.

All any one of you had to do, was, say, " no, Freddie did not, I know because, I knew Freddie," instead, I get rudeness and insults, how am I supposed to know what's true and, what isn't? I mean, Freddie did say, at one point, he thought he might be bisexual, so, it's not a far leap from that, to sleeping with Barbara, now is it?

I admired Freddie just as much as any of you, still do, I didn't think you all would see a simple comment, as a betrayal, after all, I didn't initially make that comment, it came from somewhere/someone else.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to all of the new people!

I ordered a copy of the cookbook last November and it just arrived yesterday so it takes a little time to get to you FYI. Can’t wait to sit and read it!

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's not play victim. Nobody called you outside your name or insulted you. Like you we made statements. The message behind them was simple. Any backwards attitude you pulled from those comments were your own. Freddie came out to Mary 2 times. The first time he told her "thought" he "might" be bisexual. And she (knowing he had avoided sex with her for years by that point) knew he was trying to say he was gay. She stayed hoping he was into girls and when nothing changed in their sex life he tried to tell her again that he was gay and thats when she moved out. "He tried desperately to tell me something and I just asked him xAre you trying to tell me you're gay?'" So yes it IS a stretch to believe he fucked Barbara. It's stupid. Closeted gay men are not bisexuals. His sexuality was not something he flipped on every other week. You don't struggle with being gay for years just to hop into bed with a female who's story never made any sense. Every time that rumor gets told it's a slap to the face of the man.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It makes me wonder too, whether he would have been able to stay at Garden Lodge.

I'm guessing no, with the advent of drones that could easily fly over the house.

Thor, could you have seen him moving to a big country estate like Elton? The great thing about Garden Lodge is that it's a little oasis in the middle of the city, with conveniences nearby. However, I think fans and the press would have bothered him endlessly today.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin, you keep fighting the good fight. It's an endless battle and I won't have people spreading false rumors about a man who isn't here to defend himself. It's great to have you here, and Thor is right, we need some more men! Us ladies have taken over the thread.

Also, ""I once asked Freddie after seeing the photos of them in the paper if he fucked Barbara. Maybe he'd switched teams. He looked at me as if I was mad and said 'Please! She's a cow!'. No they were absolutely never lovers." -Chris 'Crystal' Taylor." made me LOL!

It reminded me of the joke someone (Joe, maybe?) made about Barbara not being able to fit into the jacuzzi in the Mews in the video of Freddie showing them the new bathroom. It was savagely funny and reminds me of things my own friends would say.

He looked so proud of the Mews house after the renovations. He really had an eye for interior design! What a gorgeous guest house!!

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, I hope your meeting this weekend accomplishes all you hope. It seems like you guys get together frequently. Were you seeing each other as much before you started the book? Lifelong friendships are like family aren't they? Is this the weekend you'll be talking to Phoebe/Peter?

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet I have a David Wigg interview from 78 or 79 saved on my desktop that addresses just that.

Wigg: What's your ideal home then Freddie?

FM: I thought about buying a flat in New York but you can't live there like you're just passing through it. It's a totally different thing. You leave your car parked somewhere in New York and you wonder if it'll be there when you get back. No I want a country mansion in England. Acreage in the city.

Wigg: A country mansion! And acreage in London?! Have you found it?

FM: *laughs* no.

I think he found it shortly after with Garden Lodge. Peter said Freddie purchased it at the end of the 70's and it sat alone for years being worked on and tweaked to his specifications. Among the new additions to the house Freddie had two bedrooms knocked into one to make the master bedroom truly grand. He had a custom bed built so large it had to be lifted in with a crane during reconstruction. He installed a lighting system over his bed that recreated the night sky (which according to Peter, he never used). A koi pond. A failed 'rain shower' that used multiple sprinklers from all angles to recreate the feeling of being in the rain while having a relaxing shower. It's said that Freddie never got it to work properly and it was a major cause of frustration for him. And much more. That house must've really been something else.

In a recent interview Peter Freestone was asked who the love of Freddie's life was. His response was a simple "Garden Lodge. Garden Lodge and Jim."