Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 161 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove wrote:

There is a radio interview out there where Freddie had to postpone due to illness and a few days? later when he actually does the interview...the Broadcaster claims he wasn't sure if Fred was Really sick.......until Fred shows him his tongue...which the Broadcaster claims Fred's tongue looks to have a Duffel Coat on it!!
I work in Dentistry.....and while I didn't see his tongue personally.....the description fits hairy leukoplakia!

Yeah I know the one you mean, but that is 1985, between Japan tour and Live Aid. The book was talking about 1982. Also it wasn't curable. The 1985 thing wasn't permanent. It could be a yeast infection.

Sorry if this topic is grossing people out hahaha. I'll stop

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hairy leukoplakia......depending on the cause....can be reversed w a round of medication..in dental..we use a compound call MIRACLE MOUTH RINSE Wa steroid,antifungal,antibacterial mix

Thor????Chime in plz

captainjory

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Squirrelly One wrote:

Captianjory I agree 100%. My family have been in-person autograph collectors for years and my uncle Charles met Freddie and the band 2 times to grab autographs. He was by no means close to Freddie or knew him personally but told me that even on those very brief meetings it was "obvious" that Freddie was gay in the way he carried himself and above all he told me over and over that Freddie was one of the only musicians out of the hundreds he met that left him feeling like he was " in the presence of greatness".
If a total stranger could tell he was gay how could "biographers" not look into those Barbara claims and see how fake it was?
Being gay didn't define him but it was a part of his story and it's wrong to erase it or mislabel it imo!

Yes! Villiers and I often talk about this! Every mannerism is that of the archetypal gay queen. The way he walked, stood, things he said. Everything.

Unfortunately when you point this out to some fans, they yell that stereotypes are bad, how 'it's wrong to make blanket statements about ALL gays being camp'. The fact is, the stereotypes exist for a reason and Freddie fits so many of them and it's not a bad thing. Someone said Freddie was hyper masculine at all times. Links were thrown their way depicting him shrieking in his own home, and dancing gayly across the stage. Well...they got blocked for it!

I have a few gay friends who are camp and effeminate and their intonations when they're being sarcastic make me scream with laughter. From people's descriptions, Freddie comes across the same. I think that's why I like him, I reckon I'd have got on with him!

captainjory

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove wrote:

Hairy leukoplakia......depending on the cause....can be reversed w a round of medication..in dental..we use a compound call MIRACLE MOUTH RINSE Wa steroid,antifungal,antibacterial mix

Thor????Chime in plz

Did treatment exist in the early 80s though?
I don't believe Freddie had it.

The source in the book was a London barman friend of Kenny Everett's. What the hell would he know?

It's not a good enough source; it's hearsay that doesn't fit with footage of the time. If he had it, you'd see it in his mouth at the Milton Keynes concert and the many photos from the tour.

soz for blank post below. oops

captainjory

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove do you normally treat people that have it and also have HIV though? The article I read said those with HIV have reoccurring issues with it. Which...would mean he was taking meds that Peter would know about and even if he wasn't taking meds he would know if Freddie went to the doctor. Remember Peter said he knew that Freddie didn't have any symptoms or odd physical stuff until much later. The book said it happened in 1982.

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 230 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@TSO. My review of the gig is in the QAL section. Sadly it left me feeling a little flat, but didn't stop me seriously considering going to see them tonight. When I saw them in Chicago 14 and Nottingham 15 they were superb, but that's a different discussion.

I don't remember much on the Valentine stuff in STL but as I've written before it's impossible to conclusively prove that nothing happened at all, although it would seem unlikely. Don't call me a bi-washer or whatever, I'm not. As I wrote earlier at the time when I was younger I found it plausible he was bi but clearly on the whole for most of his adult life he wasn't. To me, it's not really important. Sorry.
Does seem like there may well have been a heap of shit in STL, I should have stuck to my guns but then I didn't take it as gospel so no harm done.

@TSO PM me if you want. I really don't want to attention seek and foster mystery but I'll share with you if you want.

captainjory

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV wrote:

Btw I was told something about Freddie's death by someone in the music industry a year or two after which I'm not even sure I want to ask opinion on, I'm worried it could potentially be controversial. It's not insulting or anything though.

SPILL

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lotv not to cut in but Freddie told 2 different people on two different occasions that he never had sex with Barbara so I think we can say for a fact that nothing happened. Freddie would have no reason to lie about it. I dont remember Crystal Taylor's exact quote anymore but he was one of the people that asked Freddie directly about it and Freddie said no.

I also wanna know what you heard about his death. Can I get a PM too? I'm just nosy.

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DZ, fair enough. As long as he wasn't too off his tits that he may not have remembered it ;-)

But enough of her, she really is just a footnote.

captainjory

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is true ^ a relatively brief friendship with a big gap in the middle that has been blown way out of proportion.
But if drugs stop him getting it up with an attractive person like our Thor here, then they're gonna prevent him from banging a[n ugly] woman.

Okay that's it. I am happy to pretend she didn't exist from now on!

I WANT TO KNOW TOO, LOTV so...send me a message as well

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right again captianjory. It makes no sense at all that drugs would stop Freddie form being able to have relations with Thor who he was attracted to but it allowed him to be off his head enough to have sex with a woman and not remember it.

LOTV sending a message to you now about the rumor you heard!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, thanks so much for telling your story again. I'm assuming Freddie wasn't alone in the club, so who was with him? Personally I think he's one of the most beautiful men I've ever seen, so I can understand your attraction. : )

Lee, a book??? Yes, yes, yes! Put me on your pre-order list immediately! I think it would be met with great enthusiasm by everyone. Is this still just an idea in preliminary stages or have you two actually started something? You both know how to tell stories, and that combined with pictures would be fantastic. I've never been to any of the conventions, but YouTube has many interviews led by Peter Freestone at the Montreaux convention. You would be received most enthusiastically.

Actually that brings up another question. Thor, I'm curious about what made you decide to open up your lives now? Whatever it was, I'm so happy you did. I'm having so much fun reading both you and Lee.

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dunno what's going on rockers n rollers - I seen to be persona non grata. Seems I can write as LOTV but that's it. I can't see PMs or reply directly to posts.

Am I going slightly mad?

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV, just one of the new glitches on QZ. Just let your cursor hover around the spot where the 'reply' etc icons used to be, and you will be able to use them. Weird, but it works... :)

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aha, how poor. Cheers

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 693 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, first of all, please let me apologise a thousand times for hijacking this amazing thread. And to thank you for your support.
It is just that it is extremely frustrating and upsetting to be branded a liar by somebody sitting behind a machine. And to be told that being a Parsi, I don’t understand Parsi behaviour!

Here is an article on the internet about an old age Parsi home. Please check the heading (Hi, Darling!) and scroll down to this paragraph.
http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/tLT6IuCFPzu30D8zDA6bUI/Photo-Essay-Hi-darling.html
“Parsis from cities across Gujarat and Mumbai are choosing to settle in Navsari, Surat’s twin city, in the company of new-found friends, some bedridden, some just elderly. Even though almost each one of them nurses the sadness of loneliness, their voices light up in loud, crisp and cheerful greeting, “Hi, Darling!”, at the chance of a conversation with a stranger.”
Naturally, it does not explicitly mention that Parsis refer to each other as ‘darling’ and ‘dear’ quite commonly – that is not the subject of the article, but the very heading should point to the fact. Not 100% proof, I grant you, but an obvious indication. Freddie’s school had tons of non-Parsis in it. They may have found it odd to hear him speak like that. But, to any Parsi it is not odd at all – that was my point.

There are only around 60000 Parsis in the world, with about 50000 of them in India, mostly in Mumbai. The rest of us who live in other countries, have loads of distant (and near) family in Mumbai. So every Parsi is connected in some way; we don’t require 6 degrees of separation, 3 is all it takes. ??
We have Parsi colonies (baugs) all over Mumbai and other places in India, where most Parsis tend to live, Parsi schools, Parsi colleges, Parsi sports clubs, Parsi hospitals, 3 Parsi magazines and news-papers (apart from many smaller ones), so believe me, for people of any one Parsi family to know people from another Parsi family is no big deal! Our grand-parents, parents, cousins, etc. most likely went to school or college with one another, or lived in the same neighbourhood. Whenever I come across another Parsi, within 5 minutes, we have discovered common connections (That too is a Parsi thing to do – find common connections! ??) Before Freddie became a rock star, his family was just like any other Parsi family, so for my uncle to have gone to India for his schooling and met him there is not a big deal at all. It only becomes a big deal because of who Freddie became in later life. (Btw, most Parsi boys go to Billimoria school (a Parsi school) in Panchgani, very few go to other schools - mainly expat kids)
In any case, once my uncle calms down, with his permission, I will give Thor and Lee his name and other details.

Now, with another thousand apologies and a promise not to mention this again, on with Thor’s and Lee’s fantastic thread….

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The idea of a book would take a big commitment from both of us. I will discuss it with Lee when I see
him during Christmas in 10 more days. I am retired but Lee still works so we will have to discuss this
idea.

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments and replies to each other. Thank you all (well, perhaps minus one bigot).
If I ever miss a question please feel free to remind me.of it and also anything you were not able to read on the other thread.I do not
mind re-telling a story again on this new site..

Posted: 13 Dec 17, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Katydyd,
Phoebe was, of course, with him in the club but since I didn't know him I was a bit oblivious to him and gave all my attention
to Freddie. I'm pretty sure Peter backed off while we were chatting but I now know was aware of everything that went on. It
was just Phoebe and the driver in the limousine so I think they were just out together that night (ah...morning).