Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Invisible Woman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Invisible Woman
Bohemian: 570 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought it wasn't important who is from which country. Seems like I was wrong. Still, it doesn't matter to me. But never mind.

It doesn't matter anymore if I get an answer or not. I hope you will publish the book. Good luck.

I will no longer bother anyone on this thread.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 522 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

When you think back over the years since Freddie passed away, you both have had interesting careers, sought out traveling adventures, experienced significant life moments etc…things you undoubtedly would have shared with Freddie when you caught up with one another. Is there a particular event or milestone that, knowing Freddie as you did, he would have been absolutely delighted to hear about?

Enjoy your working weekend. By the way…I think Rami will win the Academy Award on the 24th…the interest in Freddie and Queen has never been higher. A lot of folks will love reading your book!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor have a wonderful time in the desert! The rain is lovely in LA and I'm sure in Palm Springs it will be a good way to stay indoors and focus!

I do love how Freddie called you all "girls" so often. It's something the younger generation of gay men do today and it's very cute and fun.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow: I think Rami will win, too.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 539 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 19, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Same message to InvisibleWoman as for ForFreddie, I hope you don't go.

Differing opinions are welcome as long as hey are not "trollish", which I know you are not.

Come back both of you! :-) :-)

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I love how you always post with such kindness. Good luck with the imminent book-happenings.

I had more to say than this, but I pressed reply & forgot what I meant to respond to, ooops.

Oh dear: one of those days! I’m a music therapist as my job & in my morning school, in a session with a girl, we got to be singing goodbye at the end of the session & all of a sudden this girl (who can speak but doesn’t speak much put both her hands over my hands as I was playing the piano I.) “Why?” I thought, until I realised I’d just said “It’s time to sing goodbye!” then had promptly begun singing hello again on autopilot. Oh how we laughed. (While she I’m sure thought what an idiot I am!!!!)

I share this, as my feeling is sometimes the best thing we can all do is take a wee step back & laugh a little: be it at something amusing or at ourselves! May I recommend almost any Freddie interview if you’re struggling to find the joy, for his wit shall surely make you smile. xxx

(PS I really would love to read Peter’s cookbook, but I can’t get the website to work! Or indeed I’d love to read any one of Peter’s Freddie books, but it is so hard to source an affordable copy of any one of those either, sigh!)

FreddieDarling

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spiralstatic where are you in the world? if in US or UK I'd suggest Amazon for a reasonably priced new copy of Peters books.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee.....
My fingers are crossed for you both!!!!!
I said quite a few pages ago......This is Your Year!!! I feel it in my bones!!!!!
Plz keep us all posted!!! I'm certain we will ALL be waiting anxiously for the Good News!!

mayqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee - your comment of "a freaking cotillion or something" was almost responsible for my choking. Thank you for that, I needed a belly laugh today. Apparently, I also needed some coffee in my lungs. Thank you for the sharing the warm memories of fun times.

Sammyfrankfreddie96 - I've listened to your covers, and my word, you have a beautiful voice. Your nerves in "Somebody to Love" were most certainly not apparent, and I found myself cheering when you hit that nice lovely long high note that we all know we listen for!

Thor have a wonderful time in Palm Springs, and fingers crossed on the book deal for you and Lee!

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good luck in the desert Thor and Lee!!!

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling wrote:

Spiralstatic where are you in the world? if in US or UK I'd suggest Amazon for a reasonably priced new copy of Peters books.

Thanks FreddieDarling. Yes, I'm in the UK & I did order a copy from Amazon last year, but Amazon just keep sending me e-mails saying it has been delayed, and then further delayed (they sent me one yesterday with the expected date now May) so I am not entirely convinced it will ever be sent, but here is hoping! :)

FreddieDarling

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spiraltastic, well my copy has been dispatched, so they must be available before May now. Do a search on Amazon yourself. The seller is Apollo books .

Hope you get one.

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I’ll admit it’s a bit difficult to decide which conversations to jump into (although I’m definitely not coming near the Barbara one lol), but I do have a few questions:

1) Thor and Lee, do you happen to know whether Freddie was a fan of British comedy? I ask this because I’ve seen a skit by John Cleese that was included in a Queen release of some sort. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQlcCKItRQ

I also seem to remember Peter Freestone talking about Freddie making a remark which he speculated could have been a reference to Fawlty Towers in his book. I’m a huge fan of all that stuff, so it piqued my interest.

2) Some people here have mentioned Chris Taylor’s book. Does anyone know what it’s called or has a link of where to buy it? I did a quick search, but didn’t find anything.

Also, I’m excited to hear about the new publishing prospect, keeping my fingers crossed!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KOALA - as far as I'm aware Chris "Crystal" Taylor has not written a book, but Peter "Ratty" Hince did it's called Queen Unseen. Hope that helps.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Royal Recipes book arrived!

So far I love it! I do love how lovingly and fondly Peter speaks of Freddie. There is genuine affection there and the way he speaks of 'the master' is testament to Freddie's wonderful kind nature.

The recipes look yummy too. I fancy the cottage pie!

Glad to see a photo of the cheesey things (cheesy biccies courtesy of Mrs. Bulsara's recipe book) as I now I know my own attempts turned out right!

It was a book from the kosher publishers, so at least I know MPT get a share of the profits.

Thank you, Phoebe for your lovely, loving tribute to our dear man. You're a diamond of the first water!

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 19, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin Zimmerman,

In great that Freddie loved Garden Lodge because it seems that it didn't start that way. In Perter Freestone's second book he talked about how Freddie seemed reluctant to move into Garden Lodge once it was finally completed. Peter says that he lived there by himself for about 8 months before Freddie moved in. Peter stated Freddie stayed at Stafford Terrace with Joe during this time. Peter says he was sent to live there because the insurance stated the home had to be occupied to be covered and Freddie also wanted to make sure the cats liked it there. Freddie finally agreed to spend a weekend at Garden Lodge and after that weekend, finally moved in full time.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

koala wrote:

1) Thor and Lee, do you happen to know whether Freddie was a fan of British comedy? I ask this because I’ve seen a skit by John Cleese that was included in a Queen release of some sort. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQlcCKItRQ

That's an AWESOME question, koala! I almost forgot I once wondered myself if Freddie and the other band members were fans of Monty Python. I saw "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for the 1st time approx. a decade ago. I love the scene (Be forewarned of blood, violence and Anglo-Saxon profanity.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmInkxbvlCs

"It's just a flesh wound." I love that line and even use it today. I can see Freddie and company rolling over it.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!! TO ALL YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!!!
XXOO

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 490 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo, I forget, are you in GB? I looked at both of your links and laughed my way through the Monty Python piece. Several years ago I saw Spamalot as part of our Broadway Series. I have never laughed so hard at a show! I don't know much about British humor, but I appreciated it that night.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 490 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 02:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Valentine's Day back at you Blenkolove! We celebrated with a heart shaped pizza.