Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 02:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Valentine's Day back at you Blenkolove! We celebrated with a heart shaped pizza.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Give credit to koala for the 1st link about John Cleese.

I'm the "flesh wound" one. What's GB?

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Jo. GB=Great Britain.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't remember if Freddie, Lee and myself discussed British Comedy. I do remember being very fond of "Keeping Up Appearances" but I don't know if it was around in the late '80s or early '90s. Then there was that department store comedy series (sorry, but the name escapes me at the moment) which if it aired in the US around that time frame, I would have mentioned it to Freddie. I thought both shows were absolutely hysterical!

mayqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Valentine's Day to you as well Blenkolove! I hope everyone had a day spent with someone they love, whether it be romantic love or not. We celebrated with some delicious and absolutely gorgeous eclaires.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A very happy Valentine's Day to all! I baked my husband some heart-shaped chocolate chip cookies, he gave me two lovely red roses, and we watched our first date movie "Pride and Prejudice". I am lucky enough to be married to a guy who actually likes watching English period piece films with me!

I wonder if Freddie celebrated Valentine's Day? It seems like a holiday he would have really enjoyed.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We were never in London for Valentines Day, but we did celebrate Feb 14th, 1982 and 1983 on or slightly prior to that date. Freddie always loved an excuse for a celebration and Valentines Day was no exception. I don't believe however, that we ever celebrated Groundhog Day, on Feb 2nd...LOL

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor is it Are you Being Served? Is that the one where the older lady is always talking about her pussy? (her cat)

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There used to be a Brit comedy show called The Goodies late 70s...I was a kid but i remember staying up late to watch it. Anyone remember that one?

Happy Valentine's Day QueenZoners!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

I am glad you are savvy enough to look at any publisher's offer with both hope AND a healthy amount of skepticism. I've read that it's not uncommon for new authors to fall for the claims made by vanity presses. They know how to sell their product and they utilize very specific, and often high-pressure, sales tactics. They can be very assertive, which is flattering to new authors. You seem to have a gut instinct about how to handle these offers. I think you will both know when it is right. Thanks for keeping us updated.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 05:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YES exactly NotQuiteAShilling,

"Are You Being Served" WAS the show. Were these shows avaiable in 1980 - 1991? If they were I am sure that I would have mentioned them to Freddie..he would have loved the pussy jokes.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of pussy jokes, one day, out on the lawn of the Garden Lodge, Freddie had a basket out with one of his cats in it. Brandon passed by the basket, crouched down and thought he would make a little joke of possibly sitting on the cat and scare Freddie. Freddie immediately countered the joke with "That would be two pussys in a basket darling!" We laughed for days.

mayqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, "Are You Being Served" was available in the US in the mid-80's on our PBS stations. My grandmother was a huge fan of Benny Hill, Are You Being Served, and Keeping Up Appearances. Lord only knows what she was thinking letting me watch a couple of those with her! But, it did give me a deep love of British comedy and bawdy tongue-in-cheek humor.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

Are You Being Served aired first in UK in 1972, so I'm sure Freddie would have been aware of it. I too love this show. Classic Jimmy Perry! That's when we knew how to make sit coms, in the 1970's! A lost art, sadly IMO. Best British sit com of recent years had been Car Share. Except I wasn't pleased with the couple of digs they seemed to take at our Freddie!

Love Freddie's "pussy" joke @Brandon! Peter always said Freddie had a wonderfully dry sense of humour. I get that, as that's my sense of humour, too. Dry, deadpan and acerbic!

Have a great weekend all. Keeping my fingers crossed for you again Thor and
Lee.

I'm off to my Zanzibari coffee house again tomorrow, fir coffee and mandazi !

queenbuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

All the best wishes for wisdom for you and Lee this weekend! I was just watching the morning shows and saw the current flooding in Palm Springs. I hope Lee is spared of any flooding!

queenbuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

All the best wishes for wisdom for you and Lee this weekend! I was just watching the morning shows and saw the current flooding in Palm Springs. I hope Lee is spared of any flooding!

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor....the pussy in the basket story is great!
What an awesome glimpse of Freddie's wit.... I love it! Thanks for remembering it.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, thank you so much for the little stories. The pussy in the basket was priceless. He was a riot!

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 19, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@FreddieDarling I’ve read Ratty’s book, but some people here have quoted Chris Taylor (in the dreaded Barbara debate, I believe), so I thought he might have a book out as well. Perhaps he was just featured in other Freddie books/articles I haven’t read?

@Jo T. I LOVE Monty Python and have always wondered about that too. Well, I did a little digging today and found something that actually answers the question! It’s an old 70s article called “What Makes Freddie?” where he says that Python makes him laugh. Here are the links:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a5c5d726d7a7f75dd77629c17035cacb/tumblr_ofzt9e2fVJ1qdslbvo2_1280.jpg
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9e7906c1147edf003f50146374c3f58a/tumblr_ofzt9e2fVJ1qdslbvo1_1280.jpg

@thundergod thanks for the answer! I agree that Keeping up Appearances is hilarious. Apparently, it ran from ’90 to ’95, not sure if Freddie would have seen it (but I can imagine him liking it, given the love for dinner parties he shared with Hyacinth lol). I’m not familiar with Are You Being Served, but will definitely check it out.
That pussy story is great! I can just hear Freddie saying it, the sassy mofo. I feel like there are tons of fans like myself who have read a bunch of stuff on him and know all the timelines etc, but it’s personal stories like this that really bring him alive, so to speak.

@Rainbow61 in Mercury and Me, Jim says that they would always send roses to each other on Valentine’s day, so I guess he did :)