Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 459 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Invisible Woman, you will get some concept of Peter's views, as well as other interesting info from listening to this Peter Freestone interview linkedl below. Hope you enjoy:

https://youtu.be/jr9rDMSX6YQ

Yours Freddily

FreddieDarling

Invisible Woman, you will get some concept of Peter's views, as well as other interesting info from listening to this Peter Freestone interview linkedl below. Hope you enjoy:

Yours Freddily

FreddieDarling

Yours Freddily

FreddieDarling

Yours Freddily

FreddieDarling

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh blimey! Trigger happy! Sorry!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Invisible Woman, the link FreddieDarling posted is excellent. It's long, and audio only which sometimes makes it difficult for me to focus, but it's well worth the listen. Lots of interesting tidbits. I'm sure I saved it to my Freddie files.

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Invisible Woman, I was literally about to ask the same question when I logged on. Great minds... :)

I've listened to several interviews where Peter talks about BR - most of them released before the film - but was hoping he would do a more in-depth review of the final result once it came out. He's very positive and appreciative of the effort that was put into the film in all of them, but keeps emphasizing that it's not a documentary.

I haven't checked out the suggested link yet, but I feel - and I might be wrong - that Peter won't have much, if anything, negative to say about it. Not because there isn't anything negative to say (as has been discussed many pages ago, when Thor posted his review), but because he tends to err on the side of diplomacy - possibly to preserve his relationship with Queen and other people who worked on the project.

This is obviously just speculation on my part, but it's a distinct vibe I've been getting.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think I welcomed you Koala (I love that marsupial), SO...a very big welcome to you!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Invisible Woman,

Lee made me promise not to tell details of our conversation with Phoebe today. It was very enlightening, but he wants to tell you all about it when he is able.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.....Thor.....that is Such a Tease!!!

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody today with my five yr old grandaughter....and within the first ten minutes of the movie....she proclaimed loudly...that SHE was the Biggest Freddie Mercury Fan Ever!!!!! I told her Oh No....I was the Biggest Freddie fan!! She countered with.. 'We Are Both the Biggest fans!!!!!"
Gotta love it!!!!

There are quite a few commercials on TV that have Queen/Freddie music in them.....and Lola will stop mid-play and say.... 'Hey!! That's Freddie Mercury!!!!"

I'm so proud of my little angel!!!!!!!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rock on, Lola! You are a lady of immense taste, as is your Nanna!

Got my Bohemian Rhapsody DVD pre-ordered already! March 4th release date.

The film has its faults but I still want it! I find the end credits when we suddenly go to the REAL Freddie singing Don't Stop Me Now unbearably sad. How many people can make you feel their loss so very deeply still over 27 years after they have passed?

Watched an Amazon Prime video last night called Freddie Mercury The King of Queen. There were some interviews/data I'd seen before, but also some new statements.

I seek out anything new on Freddie and Queen like a J K Rowling Niffler seeking gold!

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 19, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, you are a tease, but that’s ok. Glad the Skype was a good one!

Did you guys ever meet anyone while with Freddie that had you startstruck? I don’t remember if this was asked before.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

It must have been fun to catch up with an old, beloved friend! Can't wait to hear any news you guys can share.

Freddie wore so many different stage outfits over the years...is there one outfit in particular that you especially liked? I was just looking at a picture of Freddie in the red latex pants and the blue knee pads and wondering why the knee pads caught his fancy? Maybe he just thought it would be cool to look like a skateboarder? Freddie had such an amazing sense of style that no matter what he wore on stage, your eyes were glued to him...he was always captivating. I could never pick just one that is my favorite, but the outfit he wore for the "I Was Born To Love You" video is right up there!

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, I can't wait to hear about your call with Phoebe!

About his clothing, I can't resist saying that I LOVE Freddie's silver leotard. I have no idea why. I'm also always fascinated by the shorts. Rainbow, was it in the Minns/Evans book where Diana Mosely talks about making the pants for "I Was Born To Love You"? She said that Freddie felt his legs were too thin to project the image he wanted for that video so he asked her if she could make the pants so that his legs look somewhat bigger. I think she did a fine job. That's one of my favorite videos. I get a kick out of the outtakes for that video where the suspenders fly off and he just stops and grins. It's also cute when he and the female lead can't get the part with the red cloth right. At one point he actually lands so hard he tips the chair over. Many times I prefer the "making of" videos to the final piece.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

koala wrote:
I LOVE Monty Python and have always wondered about that too. Well, I did a little digging today and found something that actually answers the question! It’s an old 70s article called “What Makes Freddie?” where he says that Python makes him laugh.

OMG, great work, koala, you found proof Freddie was indeed a Monty Python fan! I'm totally geeked. Grazie, gracias, xie xie, thank you for the links.

I can't recall who posted about Jim Hutton's book. I read it last month. I felt gutted by the ending, too, not only about Freddie's death but even by Joe Fanelli's death, too. Also, Jim recounted how if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn't have let others walk all over him. Treat him as the mere "gardener" vs. Freddie's legit' BF or "husband." He wasn't accorded the respect, whereas Freddie loved him as an ordinary man.

Lee and/or Thor, we can't wait to hear about your Skype session c Phoebe. Always leave 'em wanting more, right?

Weekly question: What would Freddie typically order @ Ty's in the West Village?

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

We know Freddie and Michael Jackson worked together and that Michael attended Queen shows. Do you know if Freddie ever went to one of Michael's shows? If so, what was his opinion of it?

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5,

Yes, that story Diana Moseley told was in the David Minns/David Evans book. I remember reading that and being surprised that Freddie thought that about his legs since he never seemed to worry about showing them off in his leotards or shorty shorts.

I also remember Jim saying in his book that he usually didn't date men as slightly built as Freddie was and that Freddie had the skinniest legs he'd ever seen.

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddienotFreddy, I am always surprised when I read that comment from Diana. You are right, we all saw plenty of Freddie's legs! I think Phoebe might have said in his blog that Freddie always wished he could have been a bit taller and a bit more buff. Actually I just looked and I have the quote in one of my files. Here it is:

"Ray wondered if I thought Freddie was attractive.
I’m sure you all know the old saying… beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What is beautiful to one person is ugly to another. I was lucky enough to spend 12 years in Freddie’s company, so was able to learn about the person inside the skin. Freddie hated his teeth, he wished he was a few centimetres taller, he would have liked a more defined body, he loathed his double crown, all these things were on the outside. As a friend, Freddie was the warmest, most loving person you could ever wish to meet and I’m sure you could ask anybody who knew him through work or his social life and they would agree with me. I saw the things Freddie listed as his drawbacks, but his personality shone past anything physical, so to answer the question, yes, I think Freddie was beautiful."

The Minns/Evans book is one of my favorites because its a quick read and also because we get to hear from people who are a bit more obscure in Freddie's life. It's not the same ole same ole. I think the book may be harder to find now. I'm pretty sure my copy was used from Amazon. So was my copy of Mercury and Me and it's going to need to be rubber banded if I look at it much more.

Mariag user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How did it go with Phoebe and the publisher Thor and Lee?

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all,
VERY fun talking to Mr. Freestone. Hearing his voice and particularly his laugh brings back so many memories of good times.
As was discussed earlier, he chose his words diplomatically when discussing his thoughts about the film. We agreed about how much we enjoyed the film,
and what we missed in the film, which as we all know was following a Hollywood formula, as he says, presenting things just the way the creators wanted the production to be, and what they wanted to offer. He DID say one thing that I definitely agree with, and that it was unfortunate that we didn’t get to see Freddie laugh. He had a GREAT laugh, and I can almost hear it if I think about it.
Peter is very busy traveling, and granting interviews, but of course reiterated the fact that he will be writing the foreword for our book.
Other than reminiscing and catching up, there were no earth shattering revelations, and we decided to make sure we keep in touch more.
We will be sending him part of our query and manuscript for his thoughts and blessings, and let him see exactly what we have been working on.