Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

How nice that you got to catch up with Peter. I think it's a good idea for him to write the foreward. I can't wait to read it all.

Koala, Chris Taylor contributed to the book Freddie Mercury: This is the Real Life. He was Roger's roadie, but became good friends with Freddie over the years. There was no mention of that German "girlfriend" in the story he tells, however.

I'm currently reading Peter Hince's book. His observations of the United States and American culture are HILARIOUS. There are tidbits about the members of the band, but mostly the book is about his experience as a roadie. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’m so happy to hear Phoebe is well!

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Thor! It’s been fun talking to all the lovely people in this thread.

I’m glad Peter is doing well and that you guys got to discuss the film with him. I very much agree about the lack of Freddie laughing and the formulaic nature of the whole thing. Having said that, it seems to have brought a lot of new (especially young) people into the fandom, who are now watching actual interviews/documentaries and getting to know the real Freddie, which is fantastic.

Blenkolove, your story is adorable and a perfect example how the film is creating a new generation of Queen fans.

DCQueenLuvr, thanks for the info. I really need to get my hand on that book. Totally agree about Ratty's book, it's great fun. He's also a really nice guy - I wrote to him after reading the book to ask him something and he replied the very next day and was lovely about it.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For those looking for Chros Taylor's thoughts and comments on Barbara, you won't find them in a book and to my knowledge nobody suggested you would. To read what he has to say about it follow him on facebook. He's very vocal about her and Lesleg Ann Jones on there.

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For those looking for Chros Taylor's thoughts and comments on Barbara, you won't find them in a book and to my knowledge nobody suggested you would. To read what he has to say about it follow him on facebook. He's very vocal about her and Lesleg Ann Jones on there.

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 20:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PS excuse the typos in my last post please

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I missed the Chris Crystal Taylor question Dustin but I've seen his rants on Barbara too lol. Chris is fantastic about dispelling that awful "Barbara was a lover" rumor. He has posted about it many times on his facebook page and has never held back on correcting people about it. As Dustin said he is very active online but he is also very talkative to us fans at Queen conventions. Don't get Crystal started on Lesley Jones. He'll talk your eat off and rightfully so. Tabliod garbage, that woman.
Glad to hear Phoebe is doing well!

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ratty was sweet as well. When his book came out I had emailed him about collecting memorabilia (he sells Queen items he kept over the years) and he was kind enough to send me a signed copy for my brother on his birthday. It's been a while since I've read his book. It may be time to dust it off!

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Lee, sorry for the extremely late response but I finally got around to making a YouTube page for our Live Chats where we discuss Freddie topics and correct misinformation spread about him. I call it a sort of poor man's podcast lol. We just reached 15.5K followers listening on Instagram and YouTube is only a few hours old but at least people can find our old lives somewhere if they don't have an Instagram account. We just completed a Jim Hutton live a few days ago with a nice audience of 13K viewing it in a 24 hour time on Instagram so we're very excited to gather some info on the New York Daughters and give them an episode of their own in the coming weeks. I get swamped with messages about it any time I mention you guys, asking for a live on you two. They've really only heard of you as "Freddie's family in New York" from Peter's book and they're dying to know more. I don't think they know this blog on QueenZone even exists, which is a shame. I'd be more than happy to offer an episode and give the people what they want, and point them toward the book.

Here's the brand new YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSFNYhKP4zyiIljz19HFqbA
And you can always find us on our larger platform at Instagram.com/Queen_memes.kl

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just watched the Garden Lodge tapes someone posted a few pages back (Thor and Lee you two are absolutely gorgeous btw). Who is behind the camera for the Christmas videos? I've heard it was Joe's boyfriend? I'm not sure of his name.

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just watched the Garden Lodge tapes someone posted a few pages back (Thor and Lee you two are absolutely gorgeous btw). Who is behind the camera for the Christmas videos? I've heard it was Joe's boyfriend? I'm not sure of his name.

Posted: 18 Feb 19, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Joe's boyfriend. Tony, according to Phoebe

Fastidious&Precise user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't posted before but I've been following this thread for a little bit and thought I'd chime in :) I'm in the process of reading books by people who were close to Freddie to get a glimpse of Freddie 'the person', not just the legend/showman. I have to say, I'm really looking forward to eventually reading yours, Thor and Lee! You seem like you were both true friends of his and would have a lot of great, meaningful memories to share. I actually became a fan after watching the film, but the more documentaries/interviews I watch, the more I realise there is a serious lack of his laughter/jovial/generous side in the film, as well as a lack of the great friendships he had. They made him out to have no real friends apart from the band (kind of?) and Mary.

I also second others' posts about how heartbreaking the end of Jim's book is. I've just finished it and it was lovely reading all the very human, sweet and funny anecdotes, but the chapter dealing with his pain in his last few days has left me feeling so down and a little disturbed. It included details that I would have preferred not to read. But it's quite comforting to see that others are struggling/have struggled after reading it too. It helps to read about the good times he had with friends, which is why I can't wait to read about your memories with him. His energy and love of life really inspires me to live my life more fully and try to love it more.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Fastidious&Precise! I also just finished Jim's book. Yes the end was tough. For me, so much love came through from Jim

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

F&P I'm so glad that you have found that by reading the books and watching the clips that there was so much more humor and spark in Freddie, and so many friends than what the movie portrayed

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To everyone wanting to read Jim's book, both of Phoebe's books, as well as Peter Hince's and the David Minns/David Evans book, I was able to purchase and download them all through the Kindle app at very cheap prices.

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5,

I remember reading that post from Ask Phoebe. It goes to show, we all have insecurities we have to over come and just carry on, even world famous beloved beautiful rock stars! For me, I must say, I feel Freddie had the most gorgeous bone structure that made his face so beautiful and unique. He was aging beautifully, more handsome as he got older.

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Squirrelly One,

I looked for Chris 'Crystal" Taylor on Facebook and could not find his page. Do you mind posting a link to his page or advise how to find his page, I'd like to follow him.

Thank you.

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just a tiny comment, but I'm glad you had a happy chat with Phoebe, Lee and Thor and that he'll write an intro for your book.

Regarding the film - I loved it and thought it was done in the best spirt which moved me as I found the film's respect poignant, but I agree that it's a shame it didn't convey Freddie's wit, humour and enjoyment of life more.

Obviously we are mere fans, but you need only watch a minute long interview with Freddie to make yourself smile as he'll be guaranteed to make some witty comment with a twinkle in his eye, to laugh and before you know it you'll have *caught the joy* from him and you'll be smiling too. :)

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 19, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers2

I enjoyed listening to your most recent blog/podcast and have subscribed to your new YouTube page. Is there any way to listen to prior blogs?