Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Feb 19, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@SimonaFromItaly. I agree that Freddie often seemed uncomfortable during interviews. For the most part, I think he considered them a tedious job requirement. Like Sweet said, the interviews with David Wigg and Rudi are pretty good. One of my favorite Freddie interviews is the one done by Mary Turner. Freddie is very relaxed and seems to open up more with her than with most other people. She even asks him about his birthplace. This is an audio only interview...but really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPboTnYe7D4

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 19, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually quite like the interviews where Freddie is annoyed and gives them hell LOL But agreed, I also do really love the ones where he is relaxed and playful. The one with Dave Clark where Freddie calls himself "the word begins with a C" then moments later he says "Cherub" yeah right Freddie!

I think Jim was completely secure with himself and didn't mind that he wasn't front and center one bit. Just my opinion of course

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 19, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to all the newcomers!

Villers, I just checked the instagram page and I love it. Do you come up with all of the memes yourself? They're hilarious and exactly what I need in my life, so thanks.

I completely agree about the interviews; It's quite amazing how different Freddie is talking to people he knows vs. random journalists. He's so much more comfortable in the former, and, dare I say - camper (in the best way possible, of course). The David Wiggs ones are my favourites, but the one with Mary Turner is also up there. I wonder if we'll ever get to see the full "the bigger the better" interview. For some reason I don't really understand, there are only bits available, and it's obvious there's more. The 1987 Wigg interview currently available on youtube is also cut, as I seem to remember hearing a longer version, but can't find it anymore.

This one (in 6 parts) is also pretty good, although the quality isn't that great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K15JXr2mKec

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 19, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have come to really appreciate Hot Space! And I guess I'm the only person on the planet that LOVES Body Language!! haha that's OK. DON'T TALK

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 22 Feb 19, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Regarding Lesley Ann Jones....today I saw a blog where she claims she knows where Freddie's ashes are buried, who infected Freddie and that Freddie told her he had aids in Munich."

Proof she's nothing but a liar

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 19, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NQAS, I tend to think Jim was secure in himself too, though that is purely speculation on my part. After all, Freddie is the one who did the pursuing early on, and Jim said in his book that at one point he told Freddie to choose between promiscuity or a steady life with one partner. I think had Freddie chosen to continue the lifestyle he was living Jim would have walked away. I'm not saying Freddie made it easy for him, I don't believe he did, but I think Jim was ok. Mary was always a presence, and sometimes Jim was in the background in photos, but I suspect he understood. Clearly she was part of a package deal with Freddie. I really liked when Thor (Lee???) told us how proud Freddie was to introduce Jim to them.

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 19, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome doughnut and Simona.

About interviews, I think Freddie was understandably wary of any press or interviewers and my personal impression is that he was easily bored. And it must be really boring to answer the same questions over and over again. These are reasons I have felt he wasn't a huge fan of interviews and, as such also can be a reason he was a lot more fine with it once (or if he already) felt comfortable with the interviewer. Also, you could never know what might be asked. It's like you're out of control of the situation, I guess?!

Taking aside any personal feelings about spending time answering questions, in the early days Queen received a large number of less than flattering portraits of them (and especially Freddie) painted in interviews, so it is no wonder interviews wouldn't be Freddie's favourite thing, I feel.

I love his interviews though: he has such quick wit and always makes me smile or giggle.

It's so strange to me to think how much times have changed since the 80's. I was only a tiny child when Freddie left us, sadly, so didn't know Queen existed until it was all over - but as well as making me sad for for example never being able to see Queen live, I feel having grown up.... I mean I'm not that young, siiiiggghhhh, but having grown up since then it is so hard to comprehend how general views were and how the changed.

I think a lot of Freddie's actions were also about protecting his parents though, not only for the public?

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 23 Feb 19, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree, he would have been protecting his family, I'm sure I read that the less they knew meant that there was nothing his family could say if anyone should come knocking. I'm in the UK and the british press at that time were awful , mind you they still are but not as bad as the 80's.

Funny little story from Brian book going back to their 70's. Freddie decided to shave his chest for a photo shot with the band but afterwards they all hated the photos so months later they did another photo shot and this time the press commented that Freddie must of been wearing a chest wig. Brain's moral of the story is never to believe everything written in the press.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 23 Feb 19, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NQAS—you’re not alone! I like Hot Space too. I like so many of the songs and it’s a good choice to listen to when working out because it makes me move...even when I don’t want to. I like Body Language well enough especially the bass line but I think my favorite is Action this Day.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Geez, I have some catching up to do.
I think I have gone back far enough. If I missed anyone's question, please ask me again. I am skimming the last five pages.

Rainbow, it was so wonderful to speak with Phoebe the other day. It brought me back to 1980, the first time I ever met him. He is just as kind, friendly and upbeat as he always has been. This world needs more Phoebes for sure!

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
My favorite all time Freddie outfit was that yellow and white, absolutely smashing "frock" that Freddie wore in the Kind of Magic concerts in 1986. It was excellently reproduced in that wonderful Freddie home-made doll that we all saw. Darn, I'm blanking out on who made it...so very sorry, but it was and is outstanding!

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.
It turned out to just be a call on speakerphone. Good thing for that, because Phoebe called an hour early and I had no time for hair and make-up...LOL

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.
Ty's is not a restaurant, so to answer your question, Freddie would order a beer! Haha

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieNotFreddy,

Perhaps Freddie went to a Michael Jackson concert in London, but he never spoke of it. All I know is that Freddie spent about 4 weeks in Los Angeles and part of that time was the defunct attempt to collaborate with Jacko.

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Mariag,

The conversation with Phoebe was terrific but unfortunately, there was no publisher involved. Peter, however, confirmed that he will definitely write the foreword to our book!

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi koala,
Yes, I agree, the people here are so gracious and friendly.
I love them!

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Viliers,
Of course, I would love you to introduce your followers to this thread. I am sure I am speaking for Lee as well. I haven't caught your show yet, but am looking forward to finally tuning in soon! Everyone seems to LOVE it.

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you sweetandtender for the nice compliment but actually, I was at my peak around 1997. I will try to add the photo that makes me cry, because I don't look like that anymore... LOL

Attachment: 2019224612516320.jpg 217 KB
This has been downloaded 105 time(s).

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Fastidious&Precise,

A great Welcome to you!
I look forward to hearing from you whenever you feel like it.

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi spiralstatic,

Oh yes,
Freddie's sparkle, wit and sense of fun with his many friends were unfortunately not portrayed in the movie.

Our book will correct some of that!