Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1705 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry,
You did not say you actually knew Dr. Bian May.

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bian?...did my "r" get stuck?...lol

thundergod

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh well, time for a doughnut.

WELCOME doughnut, great to have you here!

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPboTnYe7D4

Listening to (the start of as I have to go out now) this Rainbow61. I've heard it before, but it's always strange to hear Freddie talk about how he hates Montreux at this point in time. Funny how fast things can change. I am not yet the age Freddie was during this interview, yet I feel my life (& me) shifts at a far slower rate than his did!

Thor, woah, hot photo! Also, not that you should have prior impressions about anyone from a name or for any reason, but how you look there really fits with the name Thor!

However at least as I see the world, how anyone looks is only a thing that matters at all before you know someone. (It shouldn't even matter then, but of course, before we know anything about someone, we see them and we can't help but form impressions, sort of sadly.) I never think for one millisecond about how any of my friends look, we're how we are inside. Once I know a person they could be an actual potato and I would love them just the same. We all on this thread feel the lovlieness of you and Lee. Even that you have created such a warm and friendly space on this forum is a beautiful (& impressive!) thing, for other threads in this place can sometimes be quite cruel.

Thus, no need for tears or laughter say I: we all feel the beauty inside. :)

OK, I feel I should ask a question. In fact I have two. Probably not very interesting, but oh well.

I wonder if Freddie ever talked about his music with you - about writing or his creative process, or, if he didn't talk shop which I can imagine maybe he might not have, what kind of music he might listen to for pleasure/enjoyed personally? Of course, we all love Freddie's creativity most of all. And I use music in my work (in a very different way to a rock star, LOL - I'm a music therapist) and I'm always fascinated to hear any insight into Freddie in a musical/creative sense.

Second question might be a bit personal, but I'm curious - I think we all know Freddie's taste in guys aesthetically, but I'm curious if he had a particular kind of person he was drawn to personality-wise or intellectually/interest-wise?

Happy Sunday wishes everyone. :) x

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A big welcome to all or newbies! Welcome, welcome, welcome!

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

spiralstatic, good questions! I've also been meaning to ask something that ties in quite nicely with your second question:

Thor, what do you think Freddie was actually after when it came to partners/relationships? Was it more about fun or was he ultimately looking for something deeper as well? I realize that this is quite complicated and probably changed throughout his life, but I'm interested to hear what your impression was, especially since you mentioned he used to confide in you about these things. I hope it's not too personal a question, if it is, feel free to skip it.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dayyyyyum Thor - hubba hubba!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SPIRALSTATIC...Music Therapist? Bravo. As mentioned before my degrees are in Music, and I most certainly knows what goes into that field.
It’s more education, yet back in the day, they made less than teachers. My niece went to my college, and majored in it, but didn’t quite finish.
Music Therapy gained reknown in the mid sixties. I’m sure that forms of it were around earlier, by teachers who just had that kind of big heart.
Wanda Latham, a name very much associated with the start of Music Therapy brought the study to my college in the late sixties. She was one of my piano teachers. I would sit in a class of hers, on days when the class would take turns performing. (I’m getting chills thinking about it.). To see these challenged youths pride themselves in accomplishing a tune on a melodica was tear wrenching. Good for you.

What kind of men did Freddie like.
We know the body type, but my take was always that he needed sincerity, appreciation, and understanding. But most definetly, as with everyone in his life,
as he made friends through the years, he did NOT appreciate the so called friends that took advantage of him. Gifts are one thing, but the back and forth that someone like him needs is mandatory. Joint appreciation and caring, and an all around good heart like his fit the bill.
ALSO, I’m sure Jim gave him a run for his money; Jim, being his own man, and not just jumping into a relationship with Freddie because of his accomplishments.

The composing process.
I can’t imagine that the subject didn’t come up, but like we’ve mentioned before, we never kept a Freddie Diary of any kind. I’m a stickler for dates and the like, but I never felt compelled to keep notes. LOL. Good question!
I HAVE mentioned that our friend Joe Scardilli was comfortable in critiquing Freddie’s choices when it came to dance/disco stylings. I have a Masters in Music, as I have mentioned, and I would NEVER have done that. Yikes.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 19, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tonight's the BIG Night!!!!
Best of Luck to Rami, and the Entire Bohemian Rhapsody team!! (Minus questionable first director)
Break a leg....Brian and Roger!!! We'll be watching and cheering you all on!!!!!!!

Blenkolove

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 01:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG!!!
WHAT A WAY TO OPEN THE OSCARS!
TOTALLY ROCKIN'!!
FREDDIE'S WATCHING, FOR SURE

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 01:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best opening I can remember! Of course I’m biased and proud of it!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazing way to start the Oscars! Watching Queen rock the audience, getting the crowd on their feet, and then seeing Freddie on the large screen.....that was pure magic!!!!

thundergod

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The opening was remarkable and wonderful. Seeing Freddie on the screen made me shiver. Thank you to Queen for always paying homage to Freddie, the leader of the pack and the main reason for this enduring fame and success! WHY on EARTH was Deaky not reunited with the band for this awsome production...can you just image?

thundergod

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

imagine

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a soft spot for John Deacon. He's an introvert and a family man. I wonder if he even saw "Bohemian Rhapsody?" Deaky wasn't even present - by choice - when the band Queen was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2001. Brian and Rog showed.

I recall an interview I saw on YouTube where the interviewer referred to Freddie as the leader of the band. He corrected the interviewer immediately to the effect of "I am not the leader. I'm only 1/4 of the band." He gave equal credit to all of his band members. I respected his humility and modesty.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lady Gaga's stage name is an homage to Queen's "Radio Ga Ga." She's a tremendous Queen fan.

thundergod

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RADIO, we still LOVE..OVE, You!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have NEVER been so excited about an Oscar win as I was when I heard Rami's name announced as Best Actor. His humility along with his complete admiration and respect for Freddie won my heart. I feel like a win for Rami is also a win for Freddie. My heart is so full!

Blenkolove

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 04:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOOOHOOO!
WHAT A NIGHT FOR FREDDIE, WHAT A NIGHT FOR QUEEN......WHAT A NIGHT FOR RAMI AND WHAT A NIGHT FOR ALL THOSE OODLES OF FREDDIE LOVERS ALL OVER THE GLOBE!!!
LOVE YOU FREDDIE....MMMMWAH

thundergod

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 04:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You Said It Rainbow!
So exciting! i wish they had won best picture!