Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

mayqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What an amazing night for Queen, for Rami, for Freddie and all of us fans!! Joyful tears are the best kind! Seeing Freddie on the screen, Rami's win and his speech. SOOO many emotions! We love you Freddie!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is where I want to believe that somewhere, somehow Freddie feels this massive outpouring of love. If there is such a thing as a cosmic smile, than I know Freddie's is the most beautiful right now!

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 06:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I fully and with my whole heart feel everything you just said!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for the welcome Thor.....I hope you enjoyed your doughnut ?? :)

Lee glad to hear that Jim probably gave Freddie a run for his money, maybe that is why they lasted ?

Fantastic news that Rami won the best actor Oscar......very exciting although don't hate me for this but I can't watch the performance as I just can't watch Adam singing Queen songs....I have nothing against Adam its just I prefer Freddie. I defo agree that Freddie is the main reason for the enduring fame and success. It was his stage persona that made queen. I imagine Freddie is smiling now :)

Deaky just doesn't want to be involved in Queen performing now and I can understand that. He said at the start that without Freddie there is no queen. They say he took it very very bad when Freddie died and perhaps performing etc would just be too painful for him. It is a shame as I do have a soft spot for him. I love watching his dancing around on stage.

I have a question for thor/lee.....when you came over to see the Wembley concern in 1986, did everyone go back to Garden Lodge after to party?
Also you said in an earlier post that Freddie didn't go out with you all in the evening during your stay, I was wondering where you went, did you go to Heaven or similar and how did the London clubs compare to the clubs in New York during your hey days?

I have not been to America but I would love to one day.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I kind of figured it wouldnt take best picture home because of the way things were portrayed I think it couldve won if they had portrayed things accurately and included more parts of this beautiful mans life.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll just echo everyone who has already weighed in on the Oscars. What a night!! From the fantastic opening til the very end, it was the most involved I've been in years. When that curtain began to rise and the WWRY beat roared out into the crowd, my heart swelled. As the night went on I began to believe they might really win Best Picture, so I was a little disappointed. But good for Rami! To have accumulated all those awards from Golden Globes to the Oscar must be such an incredible feeling. He's grown on me over the months since the film was released because he's always so respectful of Freddie and the band. I'm happy for him.

As for John Deacon, I've read interviews where Brian or Roger said he is fairly fragile. I respect his need to stay out of this, but I hope that he's secretly thrilled for all of them. I did read an interview where one of his sons said he planned to wait until the movie was released on DVD and then watch it at home with his family. I hope he did, but we will probably never know.

I feel sure Mary must have seen it too, and though I doubt we will ever know, I would love to hear her thoughts.

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Congratulations to all involved for the Oscars. I've not gotten to see anything from it myself yet, but I'll watch if it is on UK TV tonight. (Anyone know where/when it's on?)

Who could have anticipated such success a year ago? I don't know what Rami said last night, but I've appreciated that in his thanks for awards he's gotten so far he's always given a lot of warmly expressed praise and thanks to Freddie himself which has been lovely and has made it feel as though Freddie is part of this win too. And let's face it: Freddie IS the ultimate reason for these awards. :)

Thank you so for your beautiful responses Lee. I'll reply to the Freddie bit of your post first as I can't imagine many if any people want to read about my work, so just skip it everyone!

Lee Kathleen Nolan wrote:
What kind of men did Freddie like.
We know the body type, but my take was always that he needed sincerity, appreciation, and understanding. But most definetly, as with everyone in his life,
as he made friends through the years, he did NOT appreciate the so called friends that took advantage of him. Gifts are one thing, but the back and forth that someone like him needs is mandatory. Joint appreciation and caring, and an all around good heart like his fit the bill.
ALSO, I’m sure Jim gave him a run for his money; Jim, being his own man, and not just jumping into a relationship with Freddie because of his accomplishments.

The composing process.
I can’t imagine that the subject didn’t come up, but like we’ve mentioned before, we never kept a Freddie Diary of any kind. I’m a stickler for dates and the like, but I never felt compelled to keep notes. LOL. Good question!
I HAVE mentioned that our friend Joe Scardilli was comfortable in critiquing Freddie’s choices when it came to dance/disco stylings. I have a Masters in Music, as I have mentioned, and I would NEVER have done that. Yikes.

I suppose in terms of what Freddie was looking for in a relationship, it is likely similar to everyone, but there must be an extra level of difficulty when you are famous for people to treat you like a normal person (not to say it is always negative - most people probably treat you very reverently and better than they would many people as well as the negative side: those who are there as they want something from you) but it must be just peaceful and lovely (& I fear all too rare) to be around people who only see you the person as you are - for good and for bad and don't care about anything else. I guess you two are amongst those who provided this kind of friendship for Freddie, so we all ought to thank you!

I mean, I guess in music, mainly it is also nice to retain some of the mystery. I always think to analyse anything too far takes away as well as giving, so it is good in the end I think that we'll never know too much.

Also, wow, Joe Scardilli critiqued Freddie's musical stylings to Freddie himself? How did Freddie take that?! Eeeek! Goodness, I can't imagine even supposing to do such a thing!! Oooff, gives me a cold shiver to imagine it!

Lee Kathleen Nolan wrote:

SPIRALSTATIC...Music Therapist? Bravo. As mentioned before my degrees are in Music, and I most certainly knows what goes into that field.
It’s more education, yet back in the day, they made less than teachers. My niece went to my college, and majored in it, but didn’t quite finish.
Music Therapy gained reknown in the mid sixties. I’m sure that forms of it were around earlier, by teachers who just had that kind of big heart.
Wanda Latham, a name very much associated with the start of Music Therapy brought the study to my college in the late sixties. She was one of my piano teachers. I would sit in a class of hers, on days when the class would take turns performing. (I’m getting chills thinking about it.). To see these challenged youths pride themselves in accomplishing a tune on a melodica was tear wrenching. Good for you.

I'm sure no-one wants me to write any more on this, but oh well, you can skip it! How lovely to read this, Lee. I actually didn't do a music degree: I'm not a brilliant musician. I did a maths degree, but had done grade 8 violin and 6 piano at school, volunteered in special schools & was lucky to be accepted to study music therapy at postgraduate level.

I can't imagine what it must be like to do a music degree. I always hated playing in orchestras myself as I found them so cliquey and competitive & I was not one of the cool kids so I always felt everyone was laughing at me (& sometimes they very directly were!) and I never had much confidence in my ability to play and thought I was rubbish - I personally couldn't have coped I think in that environment so I imagine you must be a strong person to have trained so. Is it piano and voice you use? Have you used these in your career/life/work?

I'm really lucky that I found an area where I could use music in my work in a different way and thankfully since in sessions I am only ever thinking about the other person or people there I never for a second think about what I am playing (or often just banging drums or singing something incredibly daft, haha!!)

I think all the different trainings are a little different (in the UK there are two different training types) but I work with children with autism, pmld, visual impairments, in mainstream and a bit of work with adults. There's work in mental health, but I think I'd want to have done more psychology training (my course was only 18 months) were I to ever work in that area. And there's work with stroke victims and alzheimers (it is amazing how some people can still sing when they have lost all of their speech - I did a small amount of work in this area while training with people with early onset dementia, mainly in their 40's and it was so moving as a few people who no longer recognised their loved ones could sing entire songs. But I definitely didn't feel I had learned enough at the time to then know where to go further with this and use it helpfully for them) and all sorts. But everyone has the areas they're best with, and for me I think it is with kids. I mainly work for example with kids with no speech, encouraging communication, or with children with different emotional needs. It varies everywhere, which is also nice - I think I'd be very bored going to the same workplace every day!

I feel very lucky to do it. I mean, of course, there are enough terrible days too as with any thing. And it is not a money maker. I am self employed & at most places for only a few hours each week and everyone of course tries to squeeze all they can from you, paying as little as possible, and with cuts in schools and at the moment special schools in particular, my work is often the first to go. I'm lucky if I make half what a teacher would in a year, though I do only work 4 days a week. Good job I'm not in it for the money. As long as there remains enough work to keep going it's fine with me. We'll see what the future brings.

Anyway, sorry for this unrelated-to-Freddie ramble folks, but now you have a potted history of music therapy which I am sure you all wanted this Monday afternoon! NOT!

Thanks again for your responses Lee. :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spiralstatic, thanks for sharing more about what you do. I can see where music would benefit so many people through therapy. I've seen some videos/documentaries where people long lost to Alzheimers respond very positively to music. It's really kind of magical. Thanks for all you do to help those in need.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor that photo is GORGEOUS. You look like a model.

And I'm sure you don't look much different. Bone structure lasts!

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I'm a woman but his name definitely fits him he is a hottie.A lady can appreciate a good looking man nothing wrong in that. JUST KIDDING but yes he is goreous.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Done Rami Malek! The boy done good!

Loved Queen's performance at the Oscars! Especially our lovely Freddie doffing his crown at the end!

I wish theyd have included a couple of minutes of Freddie doing his "Day Oh", though. Would've loved to see all the luminaries and nominees bending to Freddie's will. Like they did for the 2012 Olympics. That would've been great.

And, Thor! VERY buff, my friend!

SimonaFromItaly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Thank you sweetandtender for the nice compliment but actually, I was at my peak around 1997. I will try to add the photo that makes me cry, because I don't look like that anymore... LOL

Gorgeous pic!
I've recently found old photos dating back to when I was 20, and I went numb with nostalgia, frustration and sadness for a few days. Then, pragmatism kicked back. Aging is unavoidable. The alternative is much worse, so... Let's enjoy life, with imperfections and all. The real enemy is boredom, so as long as I have a full (and fairly healthy) life, I'm fine with it.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, you looked great then and I'm sure you look great now. Wasn't there a picture someone posted of you with a fan recently? I thought you looked great in that one too. I'm sure most of us would like to go back to how we looked 20 years ago, it's only natural lol.

We actually watched the Oscars last night (something that normally does not happen in our house) and we were excited for the movie and for Rami for winning. I thought his acceptance speech was wonderful.

@spiralstatic, I enjoyed hearing about your music therapy, it sounds like a great and fulfilling career. I have a friend who majored in art therapy at the medical school here and she's having trouble finding a job, the schools just don't want to fund it. It's hard enough getting them to keep regular music programs going. Every year the music teachers are telling parents not to let the administration make the kids think they don't have time for these classes. They say that kids who are in the music programs at school have better grades than those who don't and I see it firsthand with my girls.

Posted: 25 Feb 19, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to the new "faces" I see!

Thor, seriously, you have to warn someone before posting a photo like that! Ye gads, just beautiful! From all the photos I've seen of you, you've always been a handsome fella, and I doubt that has changed, Beauty isn't only in the the physical, and your warm heart and shining personality will always make you lovely, no matter the age or passage of time.

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree he always has the sweetest most kind things to bring to the table.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you all for your compliments about the 1997 me...lol.

But, please, let's bury that conversation for right now.

I can just see it posted on the "Official Queen Fan Club" as proof that the only thing I ever really wanted was for this thread to be all about me and at Freddie's expense.

If, back in 1980, I was considered attractive in Freddie's eyes, that first attraction, on both of our sides, kicked off the whole GRAND friendship that I and my three wonderful buddies, Lee especially, experienced for as long as was possible.

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Spiralstatic,

I absolutely loved hearing about your work background...are you kidding?, It is a wonderful, selfless expression of YOU.
You may know that I was a Registered Nurse from 1981 through 2017. After three years of Pediatric Oncology, I wound up in Physical Rehabilitation dealing with Spinal Cord Injury, Brain Injury, Stroke, and related physical disabilities. Dementia and Altzheimers were unfortunately well represented in our patient population. In the area of rehabilitation in the U.S., there is a sub-specialty called Recreational Therapy. Apart from a myriad of other approaches they used for their patients, I witnessed the special beauty of music therapy. Of those who were able to, it seemed to be the therapy that produced the most smiles on the unit! This was unlike Physical Therapy, which often drew frowns and shrieks of pain (although, Physical Therapy was equally and critically important to their recovery or at least, their improvement).

In other words spiralstatic, I am so proud to share your dedication to make a difference in peoples lives! I'm right with ya girl!

Oh, and by the way, Freddie was very approving of my choice of professions. A few years later, Phoebe also became a nurse in the U.K.

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN...Ha Ha, A big Welcome to our site.

But I must say, CHEVY DUDE looks like a lady...LOL

Please enjoy our special community!

All the Best,
Thor (and Lee too)

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you mayqueen but enough about me... What do YOU think about me?...LOL :)

Just Kidding, good to hear from you again!

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello SimonaFromItaly,

You are so right, beauty is from within, not necessarily from the outside. Spoiled milk inside of a beautiful, shiny carton is not very appetizing once you look (and smell) the inside, after opening it.

OK...honestly, like any other gay man, I really enjoyed those days of feeling "hot".

However, using my own metaphor, I surely hope that no one finds spoiled milk when they want to get to know what I have inside of me, then and especially now, two and one-half weeks before turning 64...unbelievable, but how precious and lucky am I to be able to "Keep Myself Alive!"