Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1713 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anniebee,
My heart was racing after each win at the Academy Awards. Brian and Roger looking great. I personally don't mind Adam Lambert as long as they keep showing Freddie on LARGER THAN LIFE, screens, just as he actually was in person!

Rami was great. I love his respect and appreciation of our Freddie, who is now HIS Freddie as well. And he is falling in love with the girl who played Mary Austin...how awkwardly interesting!

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank You FreddieDarling...you really ARE a darling! Hehehe.

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetAndTender,

Aww shucks, you made me blush, which is good, because I lost my summer tan...LOL

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Not a big Adam Lambert fan either but it makes me proud to see and hear that Queen are going strong after all these years. I swear I hear a Queen song every hour on TV commercials, it’s crazy how Their songs have remained timeless.

Were you and Lee part of the group that watched prince Charles and Diana marry with Freddie? Did you guys ever watch any of these award shows like the oscars?

Btw I don’t care what people say, that’s a great picture and I’m sure you’re more embarrassed by the praise than you are craving it. :)

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 02:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey my little Doughnut,

Freddie did not go out to the gay hotspots in London in the '80s even though it was around the corner from the Garden Lodge. I am speaking of course of Earl's Court which, for all practical purposes, was the "West Village" of London.There was a big disco that was fun, called the Copa. Of course, the Colehurn was quite a curiosity since it looked like it was right out of Tudor England. My favorite bar in the area was called Bromptons. When the pubs oddly had to close at 10 pm and it was mid-summer and sunlight was still around, who would feel like going home? Brompton's would reopen after a slight pause at 10 pm after kicking everyone out, in order to begin charging a cover...LOL It stayed a happening place until 2 am.

I discovered Heaven in the early '90s but of course, Freddie could not go, even if he had wanted to.

thundergod

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 02:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anniebee, this answer is SO boring, but we did not attend any special function for Charles and Diana (I wish we had) and we did not watch any award shows together. However, we did chat about them a day or so afterwards.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Thor you could never be sour milk! There is no way you could be faking being nice for this long. How long has this thread been going? 2 1/2 years?? Yeah you are gorgeous inside and out

Rainbows I agree with you 100% - A win for Rami is a win for Freddie.

Seeing Freddie up there in his royal attire - YES!!! But why the hell did they keep cutting to the audience while Freddie was up there ?! Agh that part made me cray cray. But it was great

I saw the cutest meme today showing all the people helping Rami straighten his bowtie at the Oscars - then they showed ghost Freddie impishly making it crooked again - HA!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor , thankfully London has moved on and now clubs stay open well into the early hours.

I just wanted to say that whatever we feel about the file, at least it has brought Freddie and Queen to the forefront and brought in lots of new fans who are enjoying their music. I for one would not have taken time to find out about Freddie or download all of the queen albums if is wasn't for the film. I'm sure wherever Freddie is now he has a wicked grin on his face and is waiting for Brian and Roger so he can have a word with them about some aspects lol .

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 954 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor 64 isn't old that's still a baby I will be 46 in June where has the time gone.

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dounut I agree with you totally I think he will have something to say to Brian and Roger at heavens gates.

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Meant Doughnut.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor- honestly 64 isn't what it was when we were kids. It seemed like people 50+ were elderly, but now people take better care of themselves and look so much younger!

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut I agree on both counts! Thor - you and Lee are just young'uns! All this talk about age has made me realize how much younger you guys were than Freddie - I guess I assumed you were all the same age. Is that why he was "Mother" and you were the "daughters"? OK I feel dumb

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It does seem people look younger at older ages these days wonder why.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So fun to hear that everyone was on the same page about the Oscars. I felt like we all won a little something each time an award was given to BR.
That final shot of Freddie after the opening gave me chills as well. Very special.

I agree with everything thing Thor said about the bars of Earl’s Court. The last time I was there was 2007, and I can’t remember what might have closed
by that point. It was too bad that Freddie couldn’t join us, but the special times we had tucking him in each evening were more tha special.

SpiralStatic, thanks for introducing the world of Music Therapy to our band of merry men and women. What you are doing is very special, and the thank
yous that come to you will mostly not be monetary, but oh so spiritual. Keep it up. Times are changing.

Donut, was it you that asked about the evenings after the Wembley concerts? As far as I remember, after the first night, we all went back to the Garden Lodge, and Freddie had some people over. The second night there was a grand party at the Roofs Garden Club in Kensington. Jim talks about it in his book.
As mentioned the elevator operater was naked, and artistically covered in green paint. On the ride up I was standing next to Brian, and his “look” of appreciation was priceless. LOL A great time was had by all. I trust we all went back to Garden Lodge to continue the party.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy: aside from the amazing skincare and botox we have today, I think it's lifestyle changes. We no longer sit in restaurants and homes surrounded by lit cigarettes and people don't drink as much as they used to. People also drink a lot more water than in the past and we know about sunblock now.

Based on how Kashmira looks and how Freddie aged prior to his illness, I think he would have aged spectacularly.

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Kashmira is beautiful I'm native American and 45 so most think I'm younger I wonder if nationality may have something to do with it.I thought 45 was old when I was 18 it's not so old now I'm 45.

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee I was thinking about you today, despite me not posting on this thread for ages, because I remember you said something about doing a music degree.

I don't know why in particular you came to mind but you did!

SimonaFromItaly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Oscar night was very exciting. When the Best Actor winner was being announced, my heart was pounding frantically. Huge recognition for Rami, and well deserved. It does not happen everyday to be judged a better actor than Christian Bale, I'll tell you.

It's impossible not to be curious about what John and Mary might be thinking of the movie and of the consequent hype.
I had never paid much though to it before someone pointed this out in a previous post, but really... To be depicted in a movie without having any voice in it must be quite surreal. I'd like to know what they made of it.

Back to Thorn and Lee (thanking them again for the time they devote to us!). This is a personal question, so of course feel free not to answer.
I intend that Freddie's "inner circle" of friends and entourage was mostly composed by gay men. I understand there were several good reasons behind this quite natural choice, especially at those times and considering he of course wanted to freely be himself when away from the public eye.
I just wonder if today's society is more welcoming (I hope so, as any stigma is totally nonsense to me), to the point that there is less need to build such a "safe circle", or if it is however common for gay communities to be quite tight.

On a lighter note: did Freddie have any interest in the technology being developed at those times, besides - of course - the one employed in recording studios?

I hope the language barrier is not making a fool of me; be patient if my sentences are a mess.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 537 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SimonaFromItaly your English is immaculate my dear! Have no fear there! My Italian starts and ends with ciao, Chianti, and lasagne! ;-)