Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 19, 23:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a lot of love for Phoebe. He's a kind hearted person.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 19, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow,
On my actual birthday, March 13th, I probably will possibly have dinner with a friend in San Diego. Lee and I are celebrating BOTH of our birthdays (his is March 26th) at a very special Restaurant in Palm Springs on March 10th.

I leave for New York on March 14th and I tell my relatives NOT to do anything for my birthday since I don't see them until March 18th, but they never listen. March 14th to March 17th I will be in New York City for St. Patrick's Day celebrations - it will be my 10th time since leaving New York City...I LOVE it! (This year St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 16th because March 17th falls on a Sunday and everyone is expected in church...LOL). I learned this lesson the hard way when the last time SPD was on a Sunday, I showed up, but nobody else did...hehehe.

thundergod

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much Stevedabudgie,
I'm so glad you have a first-hand appreciation for nurses! Please tell your mom "Hi" from me.
Yes, the early '80s were so crazy and unknown that many of us did try to keep it out of our minds or we could not have stood the doom of it all.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

........didn't you tell us previously that you were to write a song about/for Freddie?? ....it's vague in my memory....but I think it was for a charitable project????? Sorry I don't recall exact details......the recall 'lobe' of my brain went to s*it after menopause!!!!!!!
If so.......How's it working out??????

Blenkolove

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Previous inquiry segues nicely with Peter Freestone introducing A new song For Freddie by a Czech Artist on Instagram today.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove, in response to your previous post, if Freddie was around, I CAN totally imagine a collaboration between Lady Gaga and Freddie Mercury! They're both so talented. I have no doubt they'd be friends, in mutual respect of each other's vast artistry. Besides Queen and Freddie Mercury, obviously, I'm also a Gaga fan. Have you seen the MTV VMA 2011 where Gaga performed "You and I" and Brian May accompanied her on guitar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACn41h45sUo)? How about when Gaga appeared as a guest on stage for a Queen concert in Oz in 2014? She and Adam Lambert performed “Another One Bites the Dust” as a duet. I saw “A Star is Born” 3x and “Bo Rhap” 4x in the theatre. My sister and are headed to Vegas in June to catch Gaga’s 2 shows during her Las Vegas residency. Then, I’ll see Queen 0.5 in concert for “The Rhapsody Tour” in July when the band tours North America and stops in my metropolis. I can't wait!

Jo T.

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Clarification: Brian May appears 6:20 out of 8:40, about 3/4 into the song "You and I." He doesn't exactly accompany Gaga on guitar. He plays a solo.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 05:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry - yes of course Thor and Lee have shared numerous stories on here and generously shared them to our delight!! My apologies!! I don't know why I said they were saving them for the book. Brain Fart

thundergod

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Blenkolove,
Unfortunately, I had to back out of that exciting deal. Not only have I never written lyrics before...but there is no time until while we still search for a publisher.
What an honor though to have been asked!

thundergod

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NotQuite,

We certainly have not shared everything with you guys. There is plenty more. As I said before, all of this QZ activity over the months has allowed me to remember more. You will still be surprised, don't worry!

thundergod

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh My God,
Peter shows many of his pics of us. The first pic is a BIG Freddie and Lee. Then a long lasting shot of freddie and me in Los Angeles...wow.

Thank you killerqueenka

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Mr. McArnold...will you be going to the St. Patrick's Day Parade?

Peter has talked about Freddie's birthday book...I'm sure you and Lee must have been in it. I seem to recall that Freddie took the birthday book with him when he traveled, which I find incredibly sweet. I wonder if Mary still has the book? It would be fun to look through it to see all the names he had listed!

I love the stories about the birthday cakes Peter had made for Freddie because Freddie took such delight in them. Peter even devotes a couple of pages in his "Freddie Cookbook" to describing some of the cakes.

So Thor, are you a chocolate or white birthday cake guy?

thundergod

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
Pineapple Upside Down Cake kinda guy.

Blenkolove

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Lady Gaga and Freddie being an AMAZING duet team! I suppose if Freddie was still around in Gaga's time.....he may have included her in his adoration grouping of Liza and Aretha??
Thank you for link to MTV award video.....I had no idea she had already collaborated with Mr May and Adam as well. Seems like a natural combo!! And while I appreciate her true artistic talent, until i saw A Star is Born.....and then her Oscar duet with Bradley....i had never 'dug that deep' into the AWESOMENESS of Lady Gaga........I WILL NOW!!! I'M always a little late, culturally, to digging in to Fascinating, Authentic Artists.....but once I'm in.....I AM ALL IN!!!!! Unfortunately, it took me about 15 yrs after Freddie's passing to dig really deep into the Freddie/Queen catalogue!!!! However, I am so glad I DID!! And I began it quite a few years before the movie's inception!!! (That being said......The Ethereal Mr Mercury captured my heart from the moment in the early '70's I First heard Killer Queen on Q105 in Tampa!!!!!!!!.......It TRULY Was LOVE at first listen!!!!)
I'm now so envious of your pilgrimage to see Gaga in Vegas.....I BET YOUR EXCITED!!!!
Queen plus Adam are coming to Tampa in August....and I chose Not to buy a ticket......But I MAY regret that choice for the rest of my life!!!!!
You have some GREAT shows to look forward to!!!!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Everyone I guess I need to introduce myself I dont mind giving my real name its Kendra and I'm 45 years old as you know my screen name is Chevyman that's really a funny story I was trying to come up with a name so my grandson is named Chevy and I just put man on the end.I thought that was a clever name anyway.So I just heard Peter's song it was beautiful alot of work went into it you can definitely feel his love for his friend and brother through those lyrics way too go peter.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor - wow have a blast in New York for St Patrick's Day!!!

Blenkolove - Q105 is a blast from the past - I grew up in St Pete in the 70's. Totally remember loving "Bicycle" and our softball team of course embraced "We are the Champions"!

I totally think Freddie would have adored Lady GaGa. She was sooooo good in that movie

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will never forget going to the Purple Room in Palm Springs a few months ago. The performances were so camp, catering to a crowd of mostly older gay gentlemen.

We had an absolute blast until I got food poisoning!

St Patrick's day in NYC is insanely fun. I'm from Boston and it's a very crazy day in that city as well. I know you'll have a blast with Lee!

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I agree with you president Reagan was terrible I would rather someone say something straight out instead of beating around the busy.I was a kid back then what actually did he do concerning the aids crisis.

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I meant Bush not busy