Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor, March is a good month to have a birthday. My daughter's birthday is 12th March and she will be 11. I have been teaching her all about queen and freddie and her fav song is 'Don't Stop Me Now'.

Lee, I can just imagine Brain's face in that lift lol......that party at the Kensington Roof Garden looked a riot!

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with these latest sentiments about the film (I'm really sorry I don't remember whose comment it was – A LOT has happened in this thread since I was last here).
Rami was great in it and completely deserved the Oscar imo. It's also fantastic that it has excited so many new people about the music. The more I think about the plot and the way Freddie was portrayed, however, the more annoyed I get about the whole thing.

It made Freddie out to be a bitchy drug addict who broke up the band with his selfishness and ego, none of which is actually true, while also downplaying his kindness and sexuality. I find it interesting that Brian – notoriously sensitive about what is said about him – feels that this did Freddie justice. I'm willing to bet he'd be absolutely seething if a similarly fictionalized, “it's-a film-not-a-documentary” story of HIS life and role in the band had been shown.

Not trying to spread any bad vibes, it's just that this has been on my mind lately.

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, I'm sorry to hear another publisher bit the dust on you. As someone currently looking for a job, I can relate to the frustration of constantly reaching out and being ignored or rejected. Hold your head high, I'm sure someone's going to pick the book up sooner or later. And when it happens, the whole fandom is going to pounce on it – myself included! :)

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villers, what happened to your youtube channel? Was about to watch the video on BR I’d bookmarked and it’s gone :( also, are the live streams available to watch anywhere else?

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 723 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala I agree with you on many points in the movie it made him out to be the only one that indulged and that's not true.As for the sexuality I think its gonna take that book getting published that may be his only voice.Women still want to believe he was a straight guy that loved and wanted a woman but from what I have heard and read he was a blessed man to have these guys who accepted him as he was.It wouldnt even help if one of his true friends spoke up because you know the press would twist things and that's what I believe would happen.Hopefully the book will get published and that will be the end of all this fighting over his sexuality.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said CHEVYMAN

thundergod

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Koala,
We have learned through trial and error, what to look for in a publisher and what to avoid. It makes it harder to find appropriate ones but Lee has been sending me some great leads after he researches what they are all about.
And here is my constant complaint (I hope I'm not whining)...it takes a huge amount of time to get this done.
Lee and I have become a better-oiled machine in our growth regarding this search.

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN, absolutely. Apart from women who have the hots for him, there seem to be two other groups completely in denial about his sexuality that I've observed: 1) bisexuals who desperately want Freddie in their corner (although bi erasure is a real problem, it clearly doesn't apply here), 2) homophobes who simply won't accept that someone they look up to could have possibly been gay. In their minds, him being bi is somehow more palatable. Complete rubbish, but there you go.

As for the book putting the record straight...I'd like to see that happen, but unfortunately, I don't think there's ANYTHING that could change some of these people's minds. I've even seen some people argue that Freddie was, in fact, completely straight, and his gayness was a publicity stunt orchestrated by Jim Beach...I wish I was kidding.

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I'm glad you and Lee have learned how to deal with the whole process better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed your hard work pays off soon. And you're not whining at all! You've been more patient than many would be in this situation, and I can only imagine how draining it must be to put so much energy into writing the book, trying to get it published, only to keep hitting brick walls. I hope the support on here is helping to keep your spirits up.

thundergod

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala,
I'd like to repeat the comment that was first told me by a wonderful QZ contributor a long time back and it has given me the patience to proceed, even when let down...

"J.K. Rawlings was rejected by 50 publishers before she signed on with one."

We are at about 18 with 25 more replies pending.
Oh, and about 5 Vanity Presses offered us lots of money...to pay to them!

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala, I responded to someone with the same question yesterday but no worries, as I know there was a ton of action here since then and it probably got buried lol. All videos are temporarily down while we edit to make them more uniform and will be added back soon along with the Jim Hutton one :)

Posted: 28 Feb 19, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think all adults can take something from the youth today they seem to be more accepting among each other than adults do.I think that's a different but positive change since the 80s .I was 14 dated the same girl till I was 17 we broke up I started dating my husband that I'm with today shortly after.But when I was in school I wouldnt dare let anyone know that was my girlfriend everyone thought she was my best friend we sure didnt show any affection at school.So yes i think we've came along way but there is still alot of changes that need to happen.

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome CHEVYMAN!

You are correct...today's youth, for the most part, are far more open-minded. Now many high schools have LGBQ clubs. At the high school I graduated from, there is a GSA (Gay/Straight Alliance). There was certainly nothing like that 39 years ago when I graduated.

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koala I agree about bisexuals wanting him in their corner but I can tell them from my own personal experience he wasnt bisexual I guess if you believe in labeling someone he would be 100 percent gay.i know this because by experience i knew from a really young age i was different and if i were labeled i wouldnt be gay they would label me probably bisexual.But to me I dont want to be labeled not out of shame it's because I dont think I need to justify who I love to anyone and i think maybe in my opinion Freddie felt he didnt need to justify that either and be labeled .He loved a beautiful soul and his name was Jim Hutton.

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow They didnt exist when I graduated in 1992 either.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow! NotQuiteAShilling.......A fellow QZer who knew the Tampa Bay Area in the '70's!!??.....I was born at Macdill AFB.....and my grandparents retired from Macdill and settled in St. Pete!! May I ask where you are located now??? I assumed from your screen name you were British?????
When where you last in this area????? Because....BOY have things changed here in the last few decades!!!!! I find the Downtown Tampa skyline almost unrecognizable when shown from the blimp during NFL season!!!!
I spent most of my youth jamming out to Q105....the discovery of FM radio and ALL THAT GREAT music from the 70's and 80's is just Sublime compared to what's available today!!!! Looking back..... I Am so glad that I grew up in the time that I did!!!!

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

You mentioned taking piano lessons in college. Do you have a piano or keyboard in your home now? If so, what kind of music do you like to play? Did you ever play Freddie's piano in Garden Lodge?

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh everyone, I've been a bit busy these last few days, but thanks so much for all your kind comments about my work. I won't say any more, except Rainbow61 asked if there is a particular type of music people respond to. I don't play recorded music - we make music together, but occasionally I'll play songs (badly!) with some people if they love particular music or play themselves (I work with an older lady & since she was little her Grandma taught her to play songs with just one hand and amazingly though she has limited language, she can still pick up how to do this with any song. And she knows the lyrics to everything too - she's pretty brilliant! As is everyone I work with, all in their own ways.) but in terms of style, just like us all, everyone likes and responds to different styles of music and enjoys different instruments! :)

thundergod wrote:

Hey Spiralstatic,

I absolutely loved hearing about your work background...are you kidding?, It is a wonderful, selfless expression of YOU.
You may know that I was a Registered Nurse from 1981 through 2017. After three years of Pediatric Oncology, I wound up in Physical Rehabilitation dealing with Spinal Cord Injury, Brain Injury, Stroke, and related physical disabilities. Dementia and Altzheimers were unfortunately well represented in our patient population. In the area of rehabilitation in the U.S., there is a sub-specialty called Recreational Therapy. Apart from a myriad of other approaches they used for their patients, I witnessed the special beauty of music therapy. Of those who were able to, it seemed to be the therapy that produced the most smiles on the unit! This was unlike Physical Therapy, which often drew frowns and shrieks of pain (although, Physical Therapy was equally and critically important to their recovery or at least, their improvement).

In other words spiralstatic, I am so proud to share your dedication to make a difference in peoples lives! I'm right with ya girl!

Oh, and by the way, Freddie was very approving of my choice of professions. A few years later, Phoebe also became a nurse in the U.K.

What amazing work Thor, though I imagine both areas must have been very difficult too. I worked in a hospice for a little while and it wasn't a sad place at all, but it's always there even though I don't work in a hospice now: the knowledge that some of these children don't have long. That said, there was so much joy, it wasn't really a big thing. :)

Thor and Lee has Peter Freestone given any advice about publishers? I even thought, you could even see if Brian May might back you in any way: brians.soapbox@clara.co.uk even if he may write a sentence just saying thumbs up?? I dunno.

Sorry as these two thoughts are I'm sure completely naive and silly and I am sure you must have spoken to Peter about publishers at least. In any case, I am hoping one (or several - so you can choose the best) of the pending responses you await shall be POSITIVE! Let us all join in willing it so!

Also, happy upcoming birthdays Thor and Lee. I'm a March baby too, in fact my birthday is today!!! I'm celebrating by chatting with you all! :D My best friend when I was little had her birthday on Halloween and with mine being St David's Day, we'd pretend we were both witches. :D

thundergod

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Wow spiralstatic,

I hear you on the therapy part of helping to heal our patients. All therapy that I witnessed, yes even psychological support, gave people hope of dealing with their new, totally unexpected and strange, life-changing physical and mental losses. I always found that so rewarding. In Physical Rehabilitation, we always considered ourselves to be a team. The doctor seemed to be, at times, the least helpful of the 5 or 6 team members.but certainly not always (it depended on the doctor). Therapists and nurses, I can say, were ALWAYS team oriented and helpful..

thundergod

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also,
We had tried Phoebe's own publisher many months ago, but unfortunately, they said, "no". Contacting them twenty years later than Phoebe, could be a reason. I really don't know.