Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fingers crossed for you both getting a publisher, I for one am very much looking forward to seeing it. I do think there is a demand for it. Here in the UK Freddie is shown singing from the Wembley gig in an advert on one of the main TV channels. I get to see Freddie on TV every day singing 'who wants to live forwever' . Queen's music is also being playing everywhere too and a lot of their concerts are on SKY TV.

Going back to the film my one bid gripe is that people are believing Freddies life played out as it is portrayed on the screen. I am in a FB group and someone posted asking 'do you think that Freddie visiting his parents with Jim before Live Aid is what made him so pumped up'. People actually believe Freddie would have taken Jim to see his parents before the gig.

I know it is not a documentary but lots of people are not understanding that.

It also really bothers me that 27 years later people are still trying to figure out when Freddie got aids and when he knew he had aids and then making assumptions about how is supposed to have looked on the magic tour. To me he looked really well on that tour and I thought his voice was fantastic. People forget that it was a massive stage area and he liked to cover it all.

Another thing that bothers me is the assumption that Freddie left Munich because he knew he had aids and was hiding it. Phoebe says in his book that Freddie was tiring of Munich in favour of his new passion for Garden Lodge and Jim Hutton. I don't see how the stupid newspapers feel he became a recluse as he did Time and the magic tour in 1986, recorded the Barcelona album in 1987/1988 , the Miracle album in 1989 and so on. It seems the poor man wasn't allowed to calm down without gossip about his reasons.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to add that it may be a good idea to have a lawyer look over any contract that looks presuming, just to make sure they don't sneak in any legalese to screw you! My husband is an attorney and has that drilled into my head haha.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers I joined in on your live this week, it was good. When will you be doing another?

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I graduated from a large university that has its own press. Thor, have you thought to be tap into your alma mater (https://cup.columbia.edu/subjects/gender-and-sexuality-studies/mens-studies)? Granted, you may or may not have to add some scholarly work - maybe about the history of the gay scene in NYC - to your coffee table book about Freddie. Lee, I'm sorry, I have no idea where you went to college. Well, it's back to work. L is over.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Thor & Lee,

I'm jumping into the deep end in this lovely pool party you guys are hosting. I'm new to QZ, having joined in the last few weeks. I've read most of the posts in both of your threads but jumped the last 40 pages in this one. ;-)

First, I want to tell you how happy I am that you both are still here in this life, healthy, and able to spread the love and joy to this and other communities, not only because of your prior association and friendship with beloved Freddie, but because you have sweet souls!

I lived in SF from '83 to '01 but really wasn't paying super close attention to the gay scene (being a straight woman and then working a lot). One thing I've been doing as of late is immersing myself in the earlier years of the epidemic -- watching documentaries, reading more articles, understanding more of the politics and also delving into the science behind it all. It's because of my interest in Freddie's story *now* that I've been going in the wayback machine into some history archives.

If you'll indulge, I've been compiling questions for you guys as I've read the thousands of posts on your threads; in the interest of efficiency I'll list them out in this one post. And please to the other QZ members, my questions are not intending to be insensitive or rude, but come from a place of learning and empathy:

1. Brian May talked about how Freddie "lost most of his foot" due to KS. However, this isn't detailed in any of the books I've read (Hutton's, Freestone's). Was part of his foot amputated? Or was this some kind of other treatment done? And if you know, when did such a surgery (whatever it was) occur?

2. Aside from Freddie's foot, what other things were causing him physical pain (if you know)? I read how he was on a few painkillers and suffered greatly and from a medical standpoint I was wondering what else was causing him discomfort and pain (besides the constipation you mentioned many posts ago).

3. I know Freddie had to wear a lot of makeup in his final years and had grown a beard for some time, to obscure the lesions as best he could. Did he wear makeup at home too (during your last visit)?

4. Did you know in June '91 that would be the last time you'd ever visit or see Freddie? And was he able to spend much time out of bed?

5. What was your goodbye like on that '91 visit? Any acknowledgement or mention from Freddie about this goodbye compared to any other previously? Or from you to him?

6. Did you still talk by phone after that June '91 visit?

7. How did you hear of Freddie's passing? (on the news? call from someone?)

8. Did you ever 'sense' Freddie around you after he passed? Any spiritual type things you experienced or could share?

Okay I think I've probably worn you guys out with this post. Again, thank you for just being you and sharing your fun, poignant, and candid thoughts and memories. xoxo

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I love that story! Just goes to show you that many publishers don't actually have a clue about what they're doing when it comes to choosing books. Bet they're regretting their decision now lol.

Villers, sorry, I must have missed your first answer. Glad to hear that the videos will be back and am patiently waiting for the reuploads :)

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never to late Aids can affect you everywhere especially the nervous system which you know the brain plays a big role in the central portion of that system if its affected and the immune system attacks the nerves a person can develop painful neuropathy and fall and eventually become so weak they cant walk .The brain controls our movements I'm sure if he was bed bound he was experiencing some of these difficulties.When it hits the nervous system that can be very painful.I dont know about the foot.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From what I've heard it wasn't amputated. I think Brian's words were taken out of context. Both Phoebe and Jim stated he had either a KS lesion or a wound on his foot in Ibiza in 87 that just never healed and got worse and worse until he could hardly walk.

Jim specifically stated days before Freddie passed he wanted to go downstairs and see his paintings and Jim offered to carry him and he declined and walked down the stairs barefoot, so yeah, still had a foot.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A very happy birthday to you, Spiralstatic. I hope you are having a wonderful day!!!

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey doughnut,
Thank you for all your kind words. I cannot answer anything about Munich because we were never there as a guest of Freddie's.
The trolls are so destructive of the truth. Many still blame one of my good friends from that time period, John Murphy, as having given Freddie AIDS. It must have been an immaculate transfer of the virus! They like to think like this:
John knew Freddie...he must have spread AIDS to Freddie...he was a flight attendant...he must have picked it up in Africa... he was patient zero...ALL MAJOR BS.
Recently, someone who had never before contacted me, did and wanted to know the exact date and the exact year that I had relations with Freddie. I told him...wow what an odd question for your very first contact with me. Knowing what he was trying to do, I told him that I have been HIV negative since the first day a blood test was developed until the present day. I did NOT give Freddie either AIDS or HIV.
What f'ing rudeness is displayed by these trolls!

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>From what I've heard it wasn't amputated. I think Brian's words were taken out of context.

I recall hearing Brian say the following on one of the documentaries:

"The problem was his foot. There was actually very little of it left."

That gave an impression that was perhaps inaccurate, but those were B.M's words at the time.

thundergod

Posted: 01 Mar 19, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoT.

I graduated Columbia in 1981. There was no research then, that I knew of, dealing with my own "deviant lifestyle." I was not yet comfortable enough to reveal it to my schoolmates .I supposed there was an opportunity to work with an AIDS patient in my Community Care rotation, but I know I would have steered away from it at that time. But, I did choose doing pre-natal care of a pregnant dwarf whose boyfriend was 6 ft 5 inches. Maybe I can put THAT report in our book...LOL.
Thanks for the idea though.

(P.S. JoT, the current bartenders at Marie's Crisis would know me as a cocktail waiter. I made drinks in the service bar area (no longer exists). I became an official bartender at a place called the Duplex which now is across the street, not two doors down from Marie's)

thundergod

Posted: 02 Mar 19, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey NeverTooLate,

First of all, WELCOME to our thread!

Eight Questions??? at once...hahaha.

Well, I cannot answer your questions #4, 5, 7 because of this cliche...You will have to find the answers to these questions in the book....Sorry. A few people have speculated that we gave all the information away already on QZ, but the truth is, "no we didn't.

Question # 1 is best suited for Lee as he witnessed this first-hand.

I will answer the ones I can, very soon. Thanks for your patience.

thundergod

Posted: 02 Mar 19, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Off to work on the book now. I will check in with you tomorrow.
Other than NeverTooLate's questions...if I have missed any questions or welcomes, please re-write or remind me to welcome newbies.

Posted: 02 Mar 19, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for the kind welcome!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 19, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee I'm so very happy you and Phoebe are speaking after all these years friends till the end.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 19, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Again, welcome to all of the newbies. There have been so many of late that I'm sure I missed a few.

Thor or Lee, I did ask you a question a while ago that I'm still curious about. Did you guys ever meet Terry Giddings, Freddie's driver and bodyguard? I've seen him in interviews and he always speaks so kindly of Freddie. He seems to have been a very trusted member of Freddie's inner circle, and appears often in pictures obviously performing his job but also seems almost a friend. He is another one who evidences the loyalty Freddie inspired.

Posted: 02 Mar 19, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Were there any special snacks or drinks that Freddie knew you guys liked and therefore made sure he kept in his NYC apartment or at Garden Lodge during your visits...like a bowl of M&M's or Chocolate Kisses? Oh wait...that's what Freddie would have had in bowls for me! Ha Ha....I'm a bit of a chocoholic!

Posted: 02 Mar 19, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome NeverTooLate