Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has anyone seen the picture of Mary recently posted in a British magazine?? I found her unrecognizable and quite dowdy. Age doesn't appear to have been too kind to her........karma's a beyotch!

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>Wow, NeverTooLate,
Is this information regarding Mary what you deduced from Peter and Jim's books, or did you know Mary at all? I learned my lesson twice to stay away from this topic, but I appreciate your input.

Hi Thor,

This is my interpretation and understanding from reading Peter & Jim's books. I know no one involved in Freddie's life or anyone associated with him or Queen.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 00:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I have she is 67 so she has aged but she has gained so much weight I almost didnt recognize her.To me it really doesnt matter what a person looks like we all age but when you live your life with bitterness and hate in your heart it has a way of showing up on the outside.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been following this thread since my wife watched the movie and started taking an interest in the time I worked for Jim Beach at Mary Austin's home. She told me she found this page and I've been reading with intrest. I don't remember meeting you personally Thor but my name is Shaun, I worked at the Garden Lodge after Freddie's passing as security on the grounds. I did get to know some of the guys living in the property behind the Garden Lodge. Joe and Jim in particular seemed very down to earth and my heart went out to them. I got to know Ms.Austin pretty well. The woman they had in the film was absolutely nothing at all like the woman herself but maybe she was different in the 70's? Granted she didn't know me as a friend, I still found her to be very cold, short with fans and just about everyone else when the cameras weren't rolling. When the cameras were around, she was totally different. It's very interesting seeing what everyone's views of her are having never met her. Joe once told me that Freddie had hid things from her in his life and said she did not in fact know the real Freddie. Jim said something similar, though I can't recall his exact words. Anytime I would smile or offer up a "Hello ma'am, good morning" she would glance over and nod or not acknowledge us at all. She never learned our names. I saw many interactions with her and the guys that lived behind the garden lodge and they were never friendly. Jim and Joe seemed to bend over backwards to get her to smile or chat with them and she was not interested. She just seemed cold. I made mention to Joe that perhaps it was grief making her do this and he said no that she had always been that way. I don't know Mr.Mercury's life story but I do know Joe and Jim were among some of Freddie's favourite people and I can understand why. They were kind gents. I was sad to hear about their passing. I was still chatting with Jim at 2000 and I don't recall him saying they buried the hatchet but I know he did visit her once or twice after he left London. However it was not Mary who called him as I remember. The other way around. Either way I hope they found peace because as someone who watched some of it, I can tell you she made a terrible mistake in the way she treated them. Mr.Beach asked us not to talk to the press while we worked there and told us what to say when asked after our contract was over. I told him once our contract was over, we wouldn't need to lie about anything. He seemed annoyed. I got the idea he wanted to portray a certain look for the garden lodge story in the press and it wasn't the truth. I figured it was probably about keeping the gay characters out of the spotlight. Thanks for an interesting insight into Mr.Mercury's life. This is all very cool to read.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Shaun, I think I may know exactly who you are. Would you mind telling me your last name? You can private message if you feel more comfortable. Thank you for reaching out and talking with us! If you are who I think you are then you must have a ton of info from inside Garden Lodge right after Freddie's passing. Were you there when Jim and Joe moved out?

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...SHAZAM! Shaun, perfect timing!!
Welcome! Please share more.....at your convenience!

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello. It's Matthews. Yes I was there when they moved away. I helped Jim pack up and he was nice enough to give me a few items. I had some of Mr.Mercury's items in my home for a few years before I had to sell. My wife had a very complicated pregnancy and the bills got to be very hard for us. I like to think Jim would understand.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are who I thought you are! I actually owned 2 of the CDs from Garden Lodge that you sold. I followed your auctions lots for a while. Very cool! I'm sure Jim and Fredsie would both understand that. Have you still got some Garden Lodge items? How much did Jim and them get from Garden Lodge?

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello again. Yes I do still have some items around the house. Lovely to hear the items went to good homes. All of them were allowed to take the things they bought for Mr.Mercury according to Ms.Austin but Joe said she put a stop to that once she saw how much of her new home was actually going to be going back to them. They all got some stuff before she changed her mind. She had an auction house come in and value every item in the house shortly after. I have no idea if she sold anything or just needed value placed on it for some legal reasons.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm gobsmacked in awe! Of what? Of just how small a world it is and how people are brought together through the magic of the Internet. (And I say that as someone who worked in Silicon Valley during the dawn of the Internet.) I mean seriously, think about all these disparate but meaningful connections from and between people who otherwise might have never met! It warms my heart, truly.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have actually tried to find you before (hope I dont sound too creepy lol) as I know you were close to Jim and I've seen the photos of the move out and you helping him out. I'm glad to hear you were also close to Joe. There's so much I'd like to know about Joe after Freddie's passing. I hope you'll be around to give us some more info when you can.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you. I don't intend to take the focus away from Mr.Thor and Mr.Lee so I'll pipe down a bit but I couldn't help cutting in as the topic seemed to be on Mary and the garden lodge right now and I thought I could give a bit of insight. I'm not really involved in anything Mr.Mercury related as I can't say much about him outside of what I saw happen after his passing. Not sure that would be of interest to anyone but my wife to be honest. Thanks for the welcome either way.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Wow SM, welcome my friend. This is blockbuster information. I am not sure how it will be received by some QZoners, but the truth is not always pretty.
Glad to know you man, please chime in whenever you want to say something.
Your bloke (or mate),,
Thor

thundergod

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn SM,
What a thoughtful and genuinely nice guy you seem to be.
Next time I can get to London, I'd love to look you up.
Thanks, Thor

thundergod

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My last time in London was unfortunately April 1992, so I missed out on meeting you. I'm sure Mary would have invited me in.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well now...
I’m without a computer or iPad for three days and things got very interesting. LOL
I have lots of catching up to do, and a few questions and comments. The good news is my computer tutor has my iPad, and is downloading all the book photos, in two forms, so I have what the publisher needs.
I left the computer world after I drenched my lap top with coffee. It lasted for a few weeks but just died. They got everything off the hard drive, which cost me a couple of dollars, but now I’m on an IPad for the time being. Wirdto the wise. Do NOT keep a cup of coffee on your desk.
Thor is coming this week, and I’ll need to name, catalogue, and register the photos to be copyrighted. Everyone tell Thor that he should let me use his computer without charging me to do this. LOL LOL LOL
I’ll catch up tomorrow when I get the iPad back. Miss you guys. Welcome Sean!!!!!!

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks everyone. I'm sure my saying these things may ruffle some feathers but I can do nothing but say what I saw. I hope Mr.Freestone is doing well. I can't say I was very close with him but it wasnt from lack of character on his part. He just seemed very busy and I had more time chatting with Jim and Joe. I tried to chat with Ms.Austin but she never seemed interested. Jim seemed like just one of the lads so we got on well. Genuine bloke. Joe seemed the most emotionally exhausted by everything and my heart went out to the guy. I know he felt a great deal of guilt for some things that were simply beyond his control. Jim dealt with his grief by chatting with us and with the fans. Fans camped out for days and Jim was always out there to put a hand in their shoulder as he said he knew the fans felt a loss too. Perhaps this is too much information (forgive me Seamus) but I found him crying on a few occasions when discussing Freddie. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that his sadness came from losing Mr.Mercury and not from moving out of the house. I probably should keep things quiet but I will say Ms.Austin did not rely entirely on Mr.Beach to have them move. She made it very clear to them that she wanted nothing to do with them. Jim was hurt by that as he said he told her as Mr.Mercury was dying that he would be there for her should she need him. I do hope they buried the hatchet but as I said, Jim never told me as much. Over the years our conversations stuck to his health his family and lovely garden. The house he and Mr.Mercury built together was brilliant. He told me it was just Mr.Mercury's taste. Nice chatting with you all. Best wishes.