Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Noorie,
I have been so amazed by your uncle's story and by your insight into your culture! Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us.

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

I have a question that you might have answered already but I could not remember if Thor mentioned it in the previous 100-page conversation... :) How did Freddie come up with this whole business of calling you guys "daughters"? Do you know if he had this "Mother" idea when he met all of you, or did he play this game with his other friends as well?

And I just wanted to say that I LOVE this thread! It is such a treat being able to read it, so thanks a lot!!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Catus,
Well, Freddie had played this game before we met him. The idea behind it was to come up with the first name of a B rated actress,
based on the real last name. There were exceptions. For example Joe Fanelli and Joe Scardilli got Liza of course and she was an A
actress but because of the great fit of names they got it. Before I knew Freddie, he would be called Melina due to Melina Mercouri by
his friends and for some reason, Elton John was nicknamed Sharon. Was there an actress named Sharon John in Britain? Lee Nolan
was given the name Kathleen in "honor" of Kathleen Nolan the co-star of an 1960s era American TV show called "The Real McCoy's"
John Murphy got the name Delia, based on an old Irish singer named Delia Murphy. I got the name P.P. based on a singer on British
TV named P.P. Arnold. She was partially famous for the British version of the song"Angel of the Morning" The only name that stuck
was Kathleen. We other three were rarely called by our Freddie nicknames.

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor,
Thanks a lot, I imagine how much fun he had finding an actress that would match the last name!
And how did you guys come up with the idea that you are his daughters?

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Catus, He referred to himself as Mother, so we were Daughters as decided by Freddie. We thought it was all in good fun!

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you so much Thor!

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 3534 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reiterating a past question since Lee is here.

Dainty lee
angry lee
normal Lee
formal Lee
...ever hear those?

Anyways. The question: Freddie was in college as an art student. Do you have any examples of Fred's drawings/work?
Did u guys ever witness him and his artwork. ..had he ever talked about the subject? (*as in how did these 4 very different people come together and become this legendary band)

They're seldom seen, I'd seen a few featured briefly in the UNTOLD STORY doc....and though it'd be wonderful to have them compiled and EXHIBITED on a tour someday. ....i don't think anybody cares to work towards it.

Thor had expressed that this subject would be more your specialty or Mary's

I've always thought it'd be a great Labour of love to compile those existing works that were made or even sold at Kensington market.

I wonder how many survive?

It's a VERY neglected facet of the man's life

(*although I'm pretty sure he'd just call the stuff ordinary and scholastic)

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fred was fit as a fiddle for world tours from 82 onwards. He said himself one of the reasons he couldn't do it forever was because he had to keep himself fit so he must have done some fitness work. Maybe he bench pressed Phoebe and did laps of the ludicrous sized hotel suites he used to stay in!

Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 581 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Sharon" relates to the "Sharon from Pinner" cliché.

Pinner is a suburb in North West London - not as far out as the Watford that Elton John is from.

Martin

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi LOTV,
Freddie always had a lot of energy and a fast metabolism. However, I never witnessed any regular exercise or muscle building. He looked
great but always remained very slender. I believe that he remained physically fit by the nearly two hour long antics and constant running
around the entire stage during tours.

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Martin Packer,
I've always wondered where that name for Elton John came from. Thank you for the information. I don't know anything about
the "Sharon from Pinner cliche." Perhaps you could explain how that cliche came about when you have time.

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove wrote:

Noorie....
I may be off...but I thought Fred's mom stated on a documentary that Freddie was born on the Parsi New Year's Day....Do Parsi's celebrate Christian holidays...ie Christmas, Easter??? Any "special days you celebrate that we might not know about???
I'd love to hear more about you and Paris customs!!!

Oh....and HAPPY CHANUKAH to All our Jewish friends@!!!

Blenkolove, Parsis celebrate everything!! Christmas (Christmas tree and all) and Halloween, and Diwali (with beautiful diyaas), and Easter (Easter egg hunt with tons of chocolate!), and every festival that comes along. Growing up, my family even celebrated Hannukah, eating latkes -courtesy our Jewish neighbours!
But we have 2 of our own. One is on the 21st of March - a spring celebration called Navroz, meaning new beginning. The second falls between mid-August to early September (the date changes slightly each year as the Parsi calendar is different from the Gregorian calendar. There are 10 gathas - days of special prayers, followed by Pateti (last day of the old year, and the next day is another Navroz (very unimaginative people, couldn't figure out 2 names, called both festivals Navroz) which is our New Year and the start of the Parsi calendar. I guess in 1946, this must have fallen on September 5. So Freddie was a New Year's baby! Naturally! :) :)

Back to Thor and Lee. About the book...
I just thought, that if you are going to write a book, you should try and get it out in the stores around the time the Freddie movie is released. The movie will generate a lot of fresh interest in Freddie, and hopefully a best seller for you!!!

And Thor, you must have had very imaginative and interesting parents to have named you Thor! The kind of name every guy longs to have!

And a Happy Hanukkah to all our Jewish QZers. :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6QGP0OUaV4

Stick with me just a little longer. Clearly I'm stuck on the club dancing issue, but I promise this is the last question. I attached the video for Back Chat. I've always supposed that Freddie danced lke this in clubs. I think it looks pretty good, but what do I know? Is this like anything you guys experienced with him in clubs?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nevermind. Apparently my techdweeb has reared its head and I don't know how to post a link here.

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd,
All one has to do is copy and paste in a new window. I just did!

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, That was good dancing! I have no idea then why he was so shy about dancing. Maybe he had a choreographer
for his videos and followed the steps but could not come up with them himself and felt awkward. If Freddie could not
control how he came across on a random dance floor, perhaps he was not interested

DrowsingOnASundayAfernoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, welcome to the thread. Thanks so much for sharing your personal knowledge of Freddie. You, too, Thor.

Did Freddie ever see any of the big films of the 80s like Ghostbusters or Gremlins or ET?

Did he ever share any information about the state of the band in the early to mid 80s when there reports of friction and breaking up?

Did he ever weigh in on the topic of AIDS in the early to mid 80s?

How did he tell you he was ill?

Thanks for sharing, Lee and Thor. Really quite amazing that you're a part of this community.

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, please check your pm. :) Info sent. :)

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And noorie, please check your PM

Posted: 14 Dec 17, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Thor, for some reason your pm has not come through.