Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

junealloway user not visiting Queenzone.com

add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for your welcome! I continue to read you.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don’t know Mary’s life now. She has children and grandchildren perhaps? I learned a lot about Freddie by reading you. He continues to live on thanks to all of you. That’s good. I’m glad of that.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 903 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenko I think you hit the nail on the head I think she mentally never recovered from that relationship and she hoped he would stop his Male interest at some point and they would pick up wher they left off I think after he was diagnosed with Aids it forced her to have some kind of life and she finally had children and I think she blamed his friends that were gay for his death basically and him not returning to her.In my opinion I think the poor guy came to terms with who he was inside and felt relief and contentment with this.I also believe his parents like most parents wanted him to marry have children and get married to Mary I think this is the only reason he was engaged to her.IN MY OPINION HE WAS a honest man and came clean with her but still needed her for professional dealings I dont think as years went on he would need her that much because the world has changed so much and I think he would've came out.He would've never returned to her romantically because that wasnt apart of who he was if she truly loved him why would she want to change that.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont mean Mary blamed his friends for his death I meant to say she in her mind thought if he wasnt in this lifestyle he wouldnt have contracted Aids which is stupid and BS .It wasnt his friends fault at all he was a grown man and like all of us he was enjoying himself that's truly a negative way to think if she did on her part.AIDS was like a tornado it may destroy one house and leave the other one alone.The virus may take one person but spare another.It was noones fault.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 643 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Junealloway, your written english is very good, much better than any attempt I could make in French.
Welcome.

I guess we will never know why Mary behaved the way she did and at least here we are sensible enough not to turn this into a heated debate.

It's been 27 years now and it's not really relevant now but I am glad that I have found some truths in her behaviour from this group thanks to Shaun and Thor.

Phoebe did say in his book then following his visit with her in later years , his feelings had no changed. He explains that Mary is now trapped in the old life and perhaps needs to find a way of moving on like they eventually all did. I imagine she has has been in a lot of pain and sadness

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut I agree she just never recovered.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello and thank you, Donut. I agree with you and Chevyman on Mary’s feelings. But I saw pictures at Garden Lodge (OK magazine article, I believe). She was blossomed and happy. I thought she was living her life. It’s hard to forget Freddie. God, I like everything about this man!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gosh so much has happened this weekend!

Hi Shaun, it's a pleasure to have you here. You've confirmed my belief that Joe, Jim and Peter were good men who truly cared about Freddie. Hearing about Jim crying really breaks my heart.

I did hear that Mary has the house for 50 years, and doesn't own it. Of course it's speculation and I'm sorry if I've overstepped my boundaries.

I think what is so upsetting about the situation was that Joe was not a well man when this all happened. I can't imagine going through that while feeling awful.

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor.....a quick question. The original video of, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," there are 4 dancers, two men, two women. The blonde female looks an awful lot like Mary, is it? I can't really get a good enough look at her to tell for sure.

Thanks!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ForFreddie: that's not Mary

ForFreddie

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweetandtenderhooligan..... thank you.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The house is hers for 50 years but any money or royalties she keeps and passes on after her death.I believe she inherited half his estate not the entire estate.His sister draws the other half since her parents are gone.Those tabloids lie so much.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She did make a chunk off the biopic guess that may be why she agreed with the script that was full of falsications.But that's on them it was their choice how they portrayed that relationship.It did well and made them alot of money.The music was good that's about all I can say .

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For our new French Member, Mary had 2 sons with her boyfriend at the time (Piers Cameron). This was in 1990 and then 1992. She then got married to another man in the later 1990s and that marriage ended a few years later.

ForFreddie

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nevertoolate.... thanks for the info.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She no longer lives at garden lodge she lives around the corner from it.

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dont know why she moved anyone have any ideas one of her sons still live in guest I think.

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, talk about exciting developments! Welcome to the thread, Shaun, and thank you for sharing your experiences These first-hand insights are invaluable for us fans who didn’t know Freddie or his circle personally; each of them completes a piece of the puzzle, which would have otherwise been left to gossip and speculation. Thanks again for chiming in!

As for Mary, I have to admit I’ve always tried to reserve judgement, since we don’t know the full story and fans are often eager to jump down people’s throat without real evidence. After reading all of this, however, I’m finding it hard not to judge her negatively.

My speculation is that while Mary really cared about Freddie, she never got comfortable with his sexuality. She saw herself as his true love and the only one who could fulfill him emotionally, and regarded his gay life as a purely sexual diversion he couldn’t help but indulge in. She couldn’t accept that Freddie could form meaningful romantic relationships with anyone else, especially other men, and resented his gay circle for taking him away from her. She knew she had to tolerate it in order to stay in Freddie’s life, but as soon as he was gone, she wasted no time showing her true feelings. Sadly, It seems that the official Queen organisation is partial to this narrative as well, as obvious from the “saint Mary and the evil gays” storyline in the film . It’s just such a shame that people who were so close to Freddie and cared for him in the last years ended up being treated so callously by her.

koala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 19, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome, junealloway! And your English is just fine :)