Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Junealloway!

Spiralstatic, I checked out Tom At The Farm on Netflix. It says it is a foreign thriller. Is it an English language film? Netflix isn't always clear.

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, it seems that you and Lee are meeting even more frequently to work on the book, and I'm sure it will come to fruition soon. Isn't amazing how far you have come in your knowledge about putting a book out there? I think we've all learned so much through your process. A friend and I once considered writing a book for children and I know now that we might not have had the patience to jump through all the hoops. I've never lost my excitement for your book and I just know it will be on my coffee table someday. Hang in there!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,
I realize it's private....but was Dustin Zimmerman able to help you in the process at all????

Ditto on Katydid's post....i Can't wait to order Your Book!!!!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 02:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hiiiiiiiiiii
My name is Lee Nolan. Perhaps you remember me. I’m the one that hasn’t had a computer or iPad for fours days.
LOL
As always I have a lot of catching up to do and I will do my best.

Chevyman: Good closing remarks on the Mary thread. We will never know for sure the answers to everyone’s questions; why she did what she did or didn’t do, who or where she is now, or how she feels about the subjects that have been broached. Sounds like a book of info in my opinion and she has chosen to not write one.

I will say, that I don’t think that Freddie made a fool of her, and I don’t take offense by the remark, whoever it was that said it, but I must add something. I came out of the closet when I was 22 years old, and had girlfriends pretty much until the year before I did so. I broke off these relationships because I was different. For the longest time I thought it was something that I was going to grow out of. But alas...that did NOT happen. It is not the intent of a gay man, who is trying to learn who they are, to treat a woman with disrespect or anything in that category. They are going through as much, if not more, than the woman who is feeling affected by this event. There is NO question in my mind when it comes to wondering how Freddie felt about Mary. It was the real thing, lthough he wasn’t wired for it. When I was in a room with Mary and Freddie, there wasn’t a question about how he felt for her. There just wasn’t. That being said, Mary was very nice to us, and I wouldn’t begin to try analyze her behavior. Just not my style. I don’t remember the exact verbiage, but Villiers summed it up the best, as I recall, but I don’t remember what page it was on.

That being said, let’s move on. I do hasten to say that anything that is brought to this thread will be addressed as long as it isn’t a theme started by a troll. You guys have brilliant things to say, and we want to hear all of it. You just might hear back from us as regularly when the group is on a roll, and that is not a bad thing. Type away.

Now

Rainbow: Having played the piano from the age of 5, I couldn’t imagine me not tinkling the ivory at Garden Lodge. It was in a seperate room in the “westish” side of the house. (Please don’t anyone beat me up for that detail.)
Anyway, it was calling my name, I suspect, and in I went. I’m pretty sure I would have been alone doing this as it had been years since I really played. Peter and I DID sit at the piano at the Co-Op/Condo in New York and took turns. Him REALLY playing, maybe, and me trying to remember what came to mind.

Donut: I agree it is a little frustrating that people really believe everything in Bohemian Rhapsody as if it was bible, but a “based on” story line tends to lead us down different paths. I throughly enjoyed the film in spit fo the obvious hiccups in the time line, etc.

The subject of when Freddie found out he was sick. I just saw a video on Phoebe’s website, which some of you might have seen, that puts the occurrence at Easter time 1987. That was an exact detail that I was not aware of.

Junealloway: Welcome and Bon Soir

Never too late: I LOVE multi questions at one time. As Mr Thor mentioned, you’ll have to wait for the book for exact details but the here ya go...I say that because we have been accused of telling all the good stuff on this blog...NOT.

About Freddie’s Foot: the comment about people misunderstanding what Brian said made sense. When Freddie was showing us to our rooms in the Mews, which he insisted on doing so himself, the conversation had taken lightning pace. Half way up the stairs to our accommodations he stopped and showed us the sores on his ankle and foot. He would have mentioned it at that time, I would think, had there been surgery.
Freddie never had makeup on as I recollect. Maybe some pancake to improve his color? I would say no. Another question for Phoebe.
In June of 91 we assumed it was to be our last time together, as that was the reason he brought us over. Anything could have happened that would have made that not the last time, but it was. It is detailed in the book.
The last time we spoke to Freddie was on his birthday, SEP 91. I’m sure we called him, and they got him to the phone remember got way, if it wasn’t he who answered.
Thor and I feel that we definitely felt Freddie’s presence the exact moment we decided to write the book. We were sitting in a club in Palm Pings, and the video for Bohemian Rhapdsody (the song) came on. (Enter Twilight Zone theme here)
Whew

Nevertoolate: I can’t tell you how amazing it is to her Phoebe’s voice on the phone. So much comes back. He has a distinct English accent. I don’t know what it is. I actually know someone who has the same exact inflection and pronunciation, as Phoebe, and this person is German, so go figure. Phoebe is so strong in my memory that it truly is a flash back to other times.

Katydyd5: Terry Giddings. The name sounded familiar, so I googled it. He was with Freddie the spring of 91, so I’m assuming that it was he who picked me up at the airport, and then he and I went back later that day to get Thor and Brandon. I sat in the front with him. I didn’t care for the grand treatment of me being in the back, as he was so nice.

Who told that hot chocolate in front of Garden Lodge story. How great was that. I’m. currently reading Jim’s book again.

Blenkolove: Fun thinking about the old Freddie vs the 80’s Freddie. Many people do it with the old Elvis and the new Elvis. They even took a poll for the Elvis stamp to see who wanted it to be the old Elvis, and who wanted the new Elvis. And where is Freddie’s stamp if I may ask?

Freddienotfreddy: Actually, I don’t remember reporters outside of Garden Lodge when we were their either time. I think Freddie told us that he was was sure there were people in the upstairs windows across the street in 91. Diana Rigg lived across the street when we were there in 86. I’m confident she wasn’t a problem. LOL I’ve told the story of us sneaking out of the Mews’ (it was seperate form the house..someone asked) front door, which was by the garage the one day he ventured out with us during our stay.

SpiralStatic: you say anything you want. It’s always good. This is an open forum.

SM: Shaun, yes I DO know how to spell your name. I caught my mistake the first time, even the though Thor wanted to out me for it. LOL. I think it was brilliant of you to say that Jim was a genuine bloke. I couldn’t think of one word that would describe his important traits better.

Sweet&tender: Freddie's place in NYC didn’t resemble Grden Lodge at all. It was quite modern with fabric walls. There will be a couple of photos in the book that I took, and I know there are some on line. It had this great ultra modern chandelier in the dining room. I use to take off the hanging pieces and stick them in ice like that scene from the Christopher Reeves’ Superman. Yeah...I’m whacked.

Weeeeelllllllnow.

I read ten pages of the blog before writing this, and now I need a glass of Chardonnay.
I miss you guys when I can’t pipe in, and once again, I will try to get back to you more often.
I probably should have spelled checked, but, ypugtta live on the edge sometimes.

Ciao from Lilio (that’s my Italian name.) I made it up. Why? No one told me not to. HA!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

.....my last post on Mary,
Her boys really......can you imagine how odd their perspective must be??? Being raised in a World renowned Rock star's home, that was not their father. Being shielded from the press....would they have even been allowed to bring friends home after school???? Sleepovers??? Etc.....
And one wonders if possibly Mary has kept a journal that could be released by her sons, once she passes??? Might she finally reveal the whereabouts of Freddie's ashes.....If she kept some kind of journal??? hmmmmmmm

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, that post was well worth the wait!! Thanks for answering my question about Terry Giddings. He appears in so many pictures and videos so I assumed you had met him. He seems to have traveled with Freddie as you can see him exiting the boat in Romania right behind him. Either Phoebe or Jim mentions Terry and it seems he was there at the end too. Freddie seems to have had such an ability to create "family" around him. How blessed he was to have so many who loved him.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee! I’m so glad you popped in. No, the chandelier story is not weird- I would have done the same thing haha! I look forward to seeing photos of the nyc apartment in the book. I’ve only seen one or two but I cokldnt make out all that much.

I’m so happy you’re both meeting again. I hope the weather holds up- it didn’t hit 70 in all of February in LA. Even my east coast bones are chilly here.

Lee I must ask- how long did you have that amazing mustache for?

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 03:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lucky people, getting to know Freddie, personally.

What an adventure.

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, to clarify. I didn't mean, Freddie actually made a fool of Mary, I meant, she could have felt that way, going from being engaged to him, to having to 'share' him with men.

All in all, I hope she's happy with her life and, how she's lived it.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee,

One of my closest and longest friendships (40 years) is with a person I went to high school with. We are similar in so many ways, yet we are different as well. Besides the obvious, such as career choices, what are some differences you saw between yourselves and Freddie? How about differences between the two of you? For example, is one of you quieter than the other, more outgoing, more adventurous, more serious? It has been such fun getting to know the two of you over these many months…I hope that in addition to the wonderful Freddie stories you will regale us with, that you will be sharing a bit more about yourselves in the book as well!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow,

I think I related very well to Freddie up to the point where I felt I just did not have anything clever to say or joke about. Freddie hated lulls in the conversation. I think I have already told you the quote from Freddie when he was asked about how he can keep giving so much to his fans at a concert, "Darling, when you have absolutely NOTHING left to give...give them wardrobe". BUT,.when I pooped out, KATHLEEN was always there to entertain him more. Lee is such an entertainer, a jokester, and an impression maker. Freddy loved his quick wit and visual shenanigans that of course included WARDROBE. Just wait till you see the photos...you will see and read about wonderful things that were never mentioned on this thread. Plus the threads are so long, that no-one would remember a lot of what was shared. But, a story with an accompanying appropriate picture does wonders to help peek into our time with Freddie....AND Phoebe!

junealloway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/feb/05/coronet-designed-albert-victoria-star-gallery-queen-jewellery

I just found this article. It’s curious!

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 05 Mar 19, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

junealloway,

At the end of that article, they mention Freddie's sister, Kashmira. She has a collection of vanity cases. Here is a link with more information about that:

http://www.queenonline.com/news/a-kind-of-magic-art-deco-vanity-cases-book-based-on-the-kashmira-bulsara-collection

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know this conversation already passed many pages back, but I just listened to another favorite song this evening that I think Freddie would have done an amazing rendition of....Leonard Cohen's "Halllelujah". Can you imagine the passion Freddie would have poured into that song? It would have been sublime!

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, thanks so much for sharing your piano memories...

Thor and Lee, I can't wait to hear more about those "shenanigans" and of course seeing the new pics. I love the camaraderie that always shines through in your stories...they never cease to make me smile.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61, I would love to have heard Freddie play the piano and perform Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” too!
I saw Elton John’s “Farewell Yellow Brick Road” concert earlier tonight @ Madison Square Garden in NYC. The man is a consummate performer – like Freddie. Elton is in his early 70s and was on stage for nearly 3 hours! Elton John was a close friend of Freddie and one of the few that he allowed to visit him in his remaining days. Elton never mentioned Freddie’s name in concert tonight, but I thought of him when the word “Pinner” flashed up on the large screen during the song “I’m Stilling Standing.” Somebody on the thread had explained how Freddie gave Elton the name of Sharon for B-actress Sharon Pinner. Apparently, Elton was born in the town of Pinner in London. Elton also mentioned how the year 1992 was revolutionary in the development of antiretroviral meds for HIV infection. It’s sad to realize Freddie died in late 1991. Elton promoted the Elton John AIDS Foundation during the concert. I wonder if Queen and Adam Lambert promote the Mercury Phoenix Trust during their shows? One of the members of the thread (spiralstatic?) talked about the benefits of music therapy. My late father – who passed away too young, everybody said - last fall 2018 was an Elton John fan. I grew up on it. The songs of the father later became the songs of the daughter. He esp. loved “Candle in the Wind.” I barely cried when he passed, but when I heard Elton play “Candle in the Wind” tonight, I became emotional and felt a tremendous sense of peace. Music CAN be so therapeutic, can't it?

Lee and/or Thor – maybe it’s more of a Phoebe question – are you aware if Freddie had ever attended any of Elton John’s concerts or owned any of his music?

junealloway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 07:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Rainbow61. Have a good day!

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:

Welcome Junealloway!

Spiralstatic, I checked out Tom At The Farm on Netflix. It says it is a foreign thriller. Is it an English language film? Netflix isn't always clear.

Sorry I'm a bit late replying and you surely know already know now, but yes it's in French (French-Canadian, set in Canada), but it has subtitles. :) (I can't speak a word of French. I was taught German and Spanish at school. It makes me feel very inferior that I can only say "I am 11 years old" in French as quite often arty things have a bit of French in them and just assume everyone knows it & it always makes me feel like a stupid, ignorant pauper when they do that. But for me foreign language films do not feel like that as there are subtitles so you can understand. :))

Loved your post Lee. May I ask what Freddie's piano was like to play if you remember the feel of it?

Thor, your recent post makes me and I'm sure all of us excited to read these stories and see the photos in your book. Come on publishers!