Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh woe! Sorry!! Eeeeeekkkkk! As if we need to extend pages unneccessarily!!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee just to clarify I don't doubt the love Freddie had for Mary for one moment .
Hope you are getting on ok reading Mercury and Me ? I cried rivers at the end of this and the end of Peter's book. Peter wrote a second book which is very good .

Question time

Was you both invited to Freddies bday in Ibiza in 1987? It seems to have been a blast

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spiralstatic, I asked you the foreign language question about Tom At The Farm before I checked out your link. Once I'd done that I had my answer and meant to come back here and delete my question. Unfortunately, once on YouTube I got sucked in to the sidebar videos and spent too much time looking at SNL cold openers and Seth Meyers. I completely forgot I'd asked about the film until you answered. I don't mind subtitles at all. LOL, I just have to watch the film on my larger tv so that I can read them!

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi folks!

I've been lurking again and enjoying all the posts!

Re Elton's pseudonym. It was actually Sharon Cavendish (Sharon from Pinner)

Been lovely to read Shaun's comments. He seems like a lovely gentleman and very respectful of Freddie and the privileged position he found himself employed in after Freddie passed away. Love his comments regarding Jim, Peter and Joe.

LEE Freddie does havevhis own stamp. It was issued by Royal Mail in 1999. There was a bit of a hoo-ha as in the background Roger was playing at his drum kit (the picture was from a concert) and legally in the UK (for some daft, archaic reason!) other than the monarch and the other members of the Royal Family, living people are not allowed
to be pictured on a stamp (well Roger IS Royal- he is part of Queen!!!!), So Rog gas the distinction of being the only living person (other than the royals) to have made it on to an officially released Royal Mail stamp!

In the next post I'll tell you about my fabulous Queen weekend!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, about my Queen weekend!

Last week my sister told me that we weren't,as is our usual routine, be going into Birmingham city centre, but somewhere else, a surprise.

On Saturday morning, off we go down the M5, and I then know we are going to. Weston super Mare in Somerset (my sistes favourite .{yes, Thor favourite with a **u" LOL :-) ) place in the whole world!)

An hour and three quarters later, we duly alight in Weston, and have a coffee, then tootle around the shops, then I say "let's see what's on at the theatre (we always have a glance a what is showing at Weston's Playhouse Theatre) and I'm walking along the line of posters showing forthcoming events. Rain Man, something called Dirty Dusting, and then... there is a poster showing a Freddie Look-alike, Magic Tour yellow jacket, fist raised in the classic Freddie pose, adI say "Ooh, look here's a Queen tribute band coming up.... oh, it's tonight!" My sister looks at me and grins and says "Yes! And we're bloody going to it"!

Last October she'd discovered about it and had booked us in and booked us in ar a Premier Inn overnight! Brought me spare undies, PJs, cosmetics, etc! God bless her!

The tribute band were Mercury, with the fabulous Joseph Lee Jackson. We had a thrilling might and sang until we were hoarse! Joseph is a wonderful singer and all the band were fantastic players.

Joseph came out into the foyer immediately after the show for a meet and greet, and I was able to thank him and tell him what a brilliant show they had put on, get my programme signed and a photo. Truly wonderful night. I'm still buzzing from it.

I never got to see when perform, so this is the next best Jing o seeing our lovely Freddie perform!

Discovered that !ercury are performing a one of my local theatrres Birmingham's Alexandra Theatre on April 18th and we have now booked in (my treat this time!)to see them (second row!) Can't wait!

I junk I've even turned my sis into a big Queen fan now! She too enjoyed herself immensely, and is eager to go again.

I you want to see Joseph Lee Jackson perform check out the YouTube video of him at Hard Rock Cafe in Bucharest.

I'll try to copy and paste a:link.

Just wanted to share my wonderful experience with you all. God bless my sitee., My own Best Friend !

FreddieDarling

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YouTube Link toJoseph Lee Jackson performing in Bucharest, Romania, BTW he isn't with the 4 guys he performs with in Mercury here. But you can see how great Joseph is.

https://youtu.be/b8VP_6SCnY8

FreddieDarling

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Few typos!

!ercury = Mercury

junk = think!

Oops!

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone,

I found this encouraging article in the New York Times and wanted to share. It seems the medical community is making further strides in fighting AIDS.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/04/health/aids-cure-london-patient.html?fbclid=IwAR2iIhV1dqU_98VodBokZCh-hp30ri9PjFfv13XUQ7WW5ee0uqOjdxoj4Bc

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone! First post on this thread.

Jo T—What Elton is referring to re 1992 is likely the development and initial testing of Crixivan in 1992. It was revolutionary because it was a new class of drugs (protease inhibitors) which became a key component of the first triple drug therapies. But it took a few more years to develop and test these therapies.

NeverTooLate—the other issue is that ARVs (anti-HIV drugs) only suppress the virus. They don’t reconstitute the immune system. The person’s body has to do that by itself. If the immune system is too damaged it can’t reconstitute, or only partially. Immunological Non-Responders (INRs) are an ongoing problem with HIV therapy that you don’t hear about too much. Anyway, that’s another thing you can read about if you like. So there’s no way to know even if Freddie had received triple therapy if he would have responded well to it.

I’m sorry it got buried in this rather active thread—NeverTooLate are you the person who said you were a straight woman living in San Francisco in the early days of HIV/AIDS? Or perhaps it was someone else.

Anyway, that post resonated with me because I was a straight woman living in Toronto at that time. In early 1986 I had a room mate who was a nurse doing rotations and she told me she hated the lung ward because it was full of young men dying and there wasn’t anything she could do except try to make them more comfortable. And I remember thinking, “It’s that bad? Wow.”

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>>>I’m sorry it got buried in this rather active thread—NeverTooLate are you the person who said you were a straight woman living in San Francisco in the early days of HIV/AIDS? Or perhaps it was someone else. <<<

Yes that's me.

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi
I’m gonna open with this today. This is something j found while researching the Elton/Sharon thing. It has to do with Freddie and Michael Jackson working together. This is a copy and pasted thing Jim Beach said...

The late star's manager Jim 'Miami' Beach says, "They got on well except for the fact that I suddenly got a call from Freddie, saying, 'Miami, dear, can you get on over here... You've got to get me out of here. I'm recording with a llama... I've had enough and I want to get out."

And it seems Mercury lived to regret walking away from the project - in a lost interview recovered for the new Dvd, Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender, he says, "I think one of the tracks would have been on the Thriller album if I had finished it, but I missed out."

Thor and I roared. We can always hear Freddie’s voice when we think about something he said.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am seated 7 feet from Lee at this moment. It is a gorgeous day in Palm Springs (but set to have light rain this afternoon). No tan today...

I would like to say two enthusiastic WELCOMES.

First to junealloway... Bienvenue ma belle petite fleur.
My new slogan and rallying cry shall be from now on, "All the way with Alloway"...LOL

Second to Galileo.. Welcome! I am so impressed with your knowledge on HIV/AIDS, please keep contributing.

thundergod

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Blenkolove
Yes, DZ was helpful and had put a good amount of time into his efforts, which was much appreciated. Some of his researched information from a publisher (not his attitude) was deflating and very blunt but at the same time, was interesting, seemed possibly logical and was thought provoking. With Lee's approval, I went ahead and changed some of the final revision of our query and proposal, (but none of the manuscript at all).

thundergod

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Jo T. You little New Yorker, you.

Believe it or not, my first concert ever was in 1971 with Elton John at the new (at the time) Nassau Colosseum on Long Island. I went with a 10th-grade buddy of mine and we had a blast! Now YOU saw Elton 48 years later. OMG.
Obviously, from your reaction, he is still doing a Captain Fantastic job all these years later..

thundergod

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi FreddieDarling,
Brava to you for your "Sharon" facts. Freddie never really explained why Elton got that nickname, so thank you. Freddie had a picture of Elton in his livingroom at GL which was signed, Love Sharon. Freddie had some hilarious stories about Sharon, but none that I can fully share with you. Let's just say that they were during Elton's ah...blue period.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To anyone who is interested, here are documentaries on AIDS activism which played a crucial role in the development and access to cocktail drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eaAKnNGUPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ve7koHxPP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAzU79PBVM

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 19, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thundergod come on give us a story