Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, Ryan White.

junealloway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton John : the album "bleue moves" 1976, maybe ?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. I saw Elton John in the early 70's I think, when he and I were both young. It was wildly fun, but part of that may have been the Apple Jack wine we smuggled into the venue. Obviously not so much security back then.

Hamilton lived up to the hype for me. I was so glad I had read a synopsis of the show first, and did a little bit of poking around on Wikipedia or I might have been a little confused. The lyrics were so clever and came so fast and furious I really had to pay attention. I can't believe you fell asleep! You must have been super tired.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thank you Jo T.

I love Elton, he is coming to the UK at the end of 2020 so a long way off. Id love to go but the tickets are very expensive.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow,
I'm sorry, I did misunderstand your question. Chapter three is where Freddie meets Joe S., John M. and Lee N.

I met Lee (and Joe) on March 13th, 1976. This is so clear to me because of it being my 21st Birthday! A friend and I went to a great but rather short-lived dance club on W.57th St. called "Ice Palace 57". I spotted Joe Scardilli first and it was a little bit of young, love at first site. I wanted to get to know him better, so I approached him at the club and we danced and had a few cocktails. In a short time, he introduced me to his friend from college, Lee Nolan. Joe and I went on to have a relationship (my second ever) for just short of two years. Lee became family, John became family. After a somewhat messy break-up, I, like Freddie, always wanted to pursue a friendship with my ex's and we became a rat-pack of four, doing so much together when possible in and away from New York.

thundergod

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey doughnut,
I believe Freddie would have loved all three works of Phoebe. His accounts of Freddie are detailed, reliable and smart. Of course, he would have loved Jim Hutton's book, but probably not the ending stuff. Freddie was all about beginnings and the sustained excitement and wonder of life. Just look at him now!..still living after twenty-seven years dead. That's the way Freddie operated, no sorrows from the past but just excitement about the future. He always told Lee, (the photographer) to,, "Make these photographs WORK for you darling." Because of this, I would have to think that he would be very proud and supportive of our book.
...With Lesley Ann Jones' book, I could imagine Freddie casually dropping it down to the 9th Circle of Hell...and saying "Damned rubbish!"

thundergod

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. you hit it right on the head of what I meant about a "blue period" in his life. Thank you.

thundergod

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Jo T....candles lit for our book. What a heavenly compliment to all our efforts with the book. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness.

(P.S.Did you have your West Village dinner, drinks and sing-along yet?)

thundergod

Posted: 08 Mar 19, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha ha, Yes theater and concert tickets are so expensive these days and leg room increasingly limited. The Queen plus Adam Lambert concert in Los Angeles prices, as well as, lack of availability made Lee and I have to say "not this time". What a shame, we would have loved to go. When I read that they were actually selling tickets to only hear the concert from the parking lots, I was quite put off by this. Not sure if it was planned by Queen or perhaps a requirement in order to play this venue. Greed is so over- ripe these days.
Was it U2 or Billy Joel, o Coldplay that sold a whole bunch of reasonably priced tickets to reach ALL of their fans? Help me out on this QZ musical history experts.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor....thanks for sharing that great story of how you met Lee and Joe. How wonderful that your birthday is also your friendship anniversary. A double reason to celebrate!

The tickets for the Queen + AL shows sold extremely fast. The presale date was Dec. 6…by Dec. 7 they added a second show at both The Forum and Madison Square Garden. Those venues sold out a while ago as did most other venues. Queen has partnered with “Twickets”, a site where fans can buy and sell tickets…but only at face value. I highly doubt Queen has anything to do with the parking lot tickets. Maybe it’s a way for fans, who didn’t get tickets, to still be able to listen to the show?

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was lucky enough to get Queen tickets shortly after they went on sale, but I had to call in ahead of time and wait in a queue.

I bet tickets will come up closer to the date of the concert. People will be selling them on Stubhub and other vendor sites.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greed is what it's all about these days I can remember back in 1992 I was18 I went to a deflepard concert and it was only 100 dollars .Its all about the money these days and how much they can charge the poor man.One things for sure if Freddie were still alive you guys would be going for sure and it wouldnt be in parking lot seats.

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have tickets to Queen+AL in August, but they are pretty high up in the arena. I got them within a few hours of tickets going on sale using a password from some Queen group , and we will still be way up there. Thank heavens for the big screens. I couldn't pass up the chance to see Brian and Roger. It won't be the same as seeing them with Freddie, but I have to think this will be the last tour of the states, so I couldn't pass it up.

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I have to tell you that I admire both your desire and ability to remain friends with your ex's. I suspect that takes some extra effort on both parts and also a generous nature. I am cordial with my ex, but it isn't easy and I do it only to make the other people who need to be around us at family functions comfortable. It also makes it easier on my sons if they don't have to hold their breath when we are in close proximity. If it weren't for that I would have no need to ever see him again.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 03:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found this photo and it warmed my heart! What cuties.

https://pin.it/pxkszjgumeph7p

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:
Was it U2 or Billy Joel, o Coldplay that sold a whole bunch of reasonably priced tickets to reach ALL of their fans? Help me out on this QZ musical history experts.

OK, you asked for it. Don't shoot the messenger. My homeboy, Kid Rock! I can't wait for your reaction! LOL

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5,

I have tickets to see Queen + Adam Lambert here in Houston in July. I feel the same as you,Brian and Roger aren't young men, so I was not passing up what may be the last chance to see them. There was a never a chance for me to have seen Queen with Freddie as I was pretty young when they stopped touring in the states.

Also, I saw the touring production of Hamilton here in Houston last year and absolutely loved it! I already knew the soundtrack by memory as I listen to it constantly, but the show definitely lived up to the hype for me.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@NeverTooLate
@Blenkolove
@Thundergod

The first video "How to Survive a Plague" is, form a cinemati pint of view, the best documentary. Unfortunately I watched it after the other two, so I already knew who would survive.
The second video is the documentary on writer and activist Larry Kramer.
The third is "United in Anger", which is made in a more "standard" docu mode, with talking heads and archival footage, but nonetheless informative

In recent years a seemingly endless stream of oral histories and documentaries on this subject has been uploaded,.

@Blenkolove

I recall you mentioned patients. I think my first dentist (1980s/1990s) also used his bare hands at leasts a few times- but he always washed his hands afterwards. I infer that he did before my appointment- thus I can say: "He had at least washed his hands .."

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kid Rock is awesome