Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey SweetandTender,

So funny. The picture that warmed your heart is labeled
"Freddie Mercury, Paul Prenter, Queen 1980"

The only accurate part of that label is Freddie Mercury.
1) That is NOT Paul Prenter, but our own Lee Nolan.

2) It was not taken in 1980. Lee did not meet Freddie until 1981.

I guess people post things with the facts not being all that important...lol

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor, great answer thank you :)
Sounds to me that Freddie was def giving him blessing to show of those photos and what better way than in a book. I really need something new to read so lets hope some good news is coming...i have my fingers and toes crossed.

All this talk of queen and AL....I have no idea if there are any plans to tour the UK again ....do anyone know ?

I really must try to save up to visit america with my family ....my friend has just come back from Disney and loved it.

By the way Paul Prenter's family have been in the mail newspaper today. They are upset at Paul's betrayal in the movie. They confirm that Freddie and Paul did not have a sexual relationship and that they were best friends and the rest of the band were jealous. They admit that paul selling his story for money wasn't right but he needed the money for AIDS treatment. Interesting aye

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6787355/Family-Queen-manager-hit-portrayal-Oscar-winning-movie.html

thundergod

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
You are correct about fans who could not get tickets, might like just being able to hear the music out in the parking lot. BUT for these parking lot slots, they still SOLD over-priced tickets. You right, however, it IS doubtful that it was Queen's idea.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My heart does go out to any Aids patients family back then especially if they cared for them physically they always see that person through different eyes.However what Paul did selling the story on freddy was wrong theres no good reason to need to do that I'm sure he received good pay working for queen if his demons took his money that's unfortunate and it something he needed to own up too.Freddie has helped alot of his friends I think if he needed money he could've found a more tactful way to approach Freddie for help all he did is hurt him and piss him off.I think Brian and Roger could've handled alot about this this film different I think his nasty portrayal doesnt make any sense just like many other of the bitter inaccuracies.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, Doughnut,
Very interesting DailyMail article. As I have said before, in 1981-1983, Paul Prenter seemed like a fun, smart and all-right kinda guy. As a matter of fact, if not for Paul, who had an unrequited crush on Joe S, my three best buddies may not have been invited along with me to the early Queen concerts. I'm sure that final news dump did not go over well and Freddie felt betrayed, but as far as a sexual relationship, breaking the band up and not hearing about Live Aid, that stuff is just not true as far as I know.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For everyone in the Houston, TX area, I just saw that Miller Outdoor Theatre is opening it’s 2019 season this coming Friday, March 15 with a show by Queen tribute band. It’s called One Night of Queen featuring Gary Mullen and The Works. My son will be here for spring break and I’m determined to make him a Queen fan, so we will definitely be attending this!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@CHEVYMAN

$100 for a concert ticket 27 years ago would have been way too expensive for me! My Queen + AL ticket for the show this year cost $106 (including tax and processing fee) and my seat is pretty good...not in the front, but not binocular distance either.

@doughnut

It seems likely that Queen + AL will play again in the UK. Whenever they decide to stop touring, I think they would want to end where it all began! I picture them having a huge final concert at Wembley Stadium.

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow it was 100 dollars for me and my husband

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@CHEVYMAN

Okay...that is a much better price! :)

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

You are right about parking being very expensive. It seems like a common complaint of most convert venues is the nightmare of parking and exiting after a show...and the cost. My younger (cheaper) self would never have wanted to pay for parking. My older (more practical) self thinks it it WELL worth it to pay extra for good parking to eliminate the stress of finding a spot and to be able to leave the concert site in a reasonable amount of time. My husband and I are traveling almost 5 hours to get to the show and I didn't want to sit in the free parking lot for 2 hours waiting to leave.

(The Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut has amazing parking. It is free...always a good thing...and there is plenty of it. The venue is fantastic. Saw Transiberian Orchestra and Queen + AL there a couple years ago.)

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was in a doctor's office the other day when I overheard a patient talking to the receptionist about the BR movie. (It is a small office...you couldn't help but to hear what she said). The patient was extremely enthusiastic about the film and Rami's performance, but what was nice is that after watching the movie she said "of course" I had to go home and watch videos of Freddie. I don't think she knew much, if anything about Freddie before the movie...but she does now!

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops....Trans-Siberian Orchestra not Transiberian Orchestra!

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just dont think that movie did him Justice to hear all his friends talk its definitely a very talented actor playing a part to me it just not him I watch so many of his interviews and look at so many of his pics with his friends and I'm not feeling that sad lonely guy that that film portrays and he sure as heck wouldnt have to beg anyone to take him back he was bigger than Elvis .That's just my opinion from personal observation I dont know this man only through interviews what friends have said and of course our sweet Peter freestone.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Mar 19, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand Rainbow...but I meant that they were actually selling these parking spots AS concert tickets. I guess instead of what some places call, partial-view tickets, they are selling NO VIEW tickets which happens to include a parking spot, but no admission into the venue. I had never heard of such an outrageous thing...but then again, this venue is in LA...go figure!

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

I've never heard of that either. I figured you meant something like that, but I kind of got off on a tangent about parking in general. The parking lots at the arena I am going to are only for ticket holders. Do they allow tailgating? That might be the draw...like a college football game.

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donut,

Thanks for sharing the link to the Mail article. I enjoyed looking at new photos of Freddie!

I was surprised to learn that the reason Prenter sold Freddie out to The Sun in 1986 was to get money for AIDS treatments. Why not ask his generous friend for financial help if he needed it???

Donut,

Thanks for sharing the link to the Mail article. I enjoyed looking at new photos of Freddie!

I was surprised to learn that the reason Prenter sold Freddie out to The Sun in 1986 was to get money for AIDS treatments. Why not ask his generous friend for financial help if he needed it???

Donut,

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dont know about that money question those two that know that answer have passed on