Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

Regarding that group photo of you, Lee, and seven others sitting in a row: You are all wearing white, sleeveless shirts...was that by chance or was it orchestrated for the photo? Were you in Freddie's NYC apartment? A long time ago...September 26, 2017 to be exact, you named everyone in the pic so I have that info. You said Freddie was in the back (also looks a lot like Paul Prenter as that person appears to be wearing glasses.) With Freddie in the back, was Paul taking the picture?

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No view tickets seem a little crazy to me, who would pay money to sit in a parking lot . I can imagine Freddie saying 'they may as well stay at home and listen to the album '

It did cross my mind regarding Paul asking for Freddie's help rather than selling his story to the paper but we don't really know what went on all those years ago with their friendship.

Thor can you remember how you felt the first time you saw Freddie and Queen in concert? Was you blown away by how amazing he was as a front man and his amazing voice and did you think ' I can't believe that is the Freddie I know '. I ask this as so many people say how different Freddie was off the stage.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

also forgive me if you have said already but what happened to your friend Joe S?

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding Prenter's bitterness at earning so little money in the years he worked for Queen: that's on him. As I was pointedly informed in my 20's, "you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." Prenter decided to do drugs and snorted a lot of $$$ up his nose, which was his choice to do. Prenter decided to work and continue working for Queen over several years and if he wasn't getting paid enough to do it, then he could have sought other employment.

To go to the press and betray the trust and privacy of someone who is fighting their own illness and disclose info about them and their lovers when they were keeping such things private, was really low IMO. The excuse of "needing to pay for AIDS treatments" is not a valid excuse. Betrayal is betrayal.

Regarding Joe Scardilli: Thor said Joe S. passed, as did his friend, John Murphy. Thor didn't say when other than those friends plus Freddie were gone by the time he left NYC. All died of AIDS.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

I think this is the night that you (Thor) said you were having your joint birthday celebration dinner at a nice restaurant! Have a great evening...cheers!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THOR AND LEE!!!!!
Have a smashing celebration together!!!!
XO
Ttys

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@NeverTooLate

I hope you did not misconstrue my post- I did not want to defend Prenter, but just point out there was not reason or point to ask Freddie for money.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello All,

Hyginasmile asked me to share this excellent interview. I loved it. I think you will too.

https://youtu.be/0moHpxp-98I

thundergod

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Today IS the big birthday bash for Lee and myself. We are putting the computers down in a few hours and will just celebrate the fact that we are lucky enough to still be here and still have a strong friendship.
By the way, my memory failed me because Lee proved to me that it had to have been my 22nd birthday that I met him which would be 1977, not 1976 as I had misremembered all this time. He showed me that the meeting could not have been 1976 because he was performing in the national tour of the Broadway show,1776 on that very day and it was in his records (diary).

thundergod

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi doughnut,
Joe Scardilli passed away in the late 1980s due to a brain tumor. I believe it was this condition that caused him to abruptly break away from the close friendship with Lee and myself. His personality changed but we had no idea why and were completely unaware (until after his passing) of the actual diagnosis.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi
A quick story about that lined up shot where
we look like we’re tobogganing.
That was in Freddie’s suite at a hotel before
he bought the Co-Op. We were going to be watching one of my slide shows, and Joe and I kept everyone waiting while we were
perfecting the tape that went along with
the slide show. The slide show was very
well received, and at one point of the evening Freddie passed out those sleeveless shirts to all of us, and we knew we had a photo op presenting itself. We all ripped off our tops and changed. Sir Elton almost joined us that night, as he was staying in the same hotel, but never made it.
P.S. John died of AIDS mid to late 80’s, yes, but Joe died of a medical issue which Thor heard about after the fact. We weren’t in touch with John at that point, because of something that happened, but we did get word of his being ill, and Thor called his sister to give our regards. He was too sick to talk to Thor, but he was alert enough to acknowledge the fact that we had tried to reach him.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1084 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy anniversary on your friendship guys have fun and be safe.

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Moustache question...the mustache started to come and go in the late 70’s. My facial hair has taken many forms over the years. A few years ago a very good buddy, who I know well from traveling the cruise circuit, got married. I arrived at the wedding with a silver beard. When I saw the photos of the wedding I looked ten years older. The next time I saw him and his club act partner (who are freakin’ brilliant) I had shaved the beard. They thought I had had work done.
LOL. I was fllarered that they thought I could afford that after my travel habit was financed. I never told them it was just shaving the beard. HA!

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops that was suppose to be “flattered” not whatever it was I typed.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 19, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Birthday Guys! Enjoy your celebration!!

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy birthday, Thor and Lee!

Here's wishing your new year is a terrific one!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Thor, thanks for the link to that interview, it was wonderful. I've always admired all three of those men so the things they said about Freddie touched my heart and reinforced my belief that he was an incredibly special man. You were so lucky to have known the private Freddie, and I thank you again for sharing your friend with us.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It took me two days to finish.....(grandbabies All weekend just run me ragged!!!!!)
BUT HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT LARRY KRAMER BEFORE??????
I saw The Normal Heart a few years back....i guess I just didn't make the connection til Stevendabudgie posted the link.......Larry Kramer is Such an Angry Angel......But BOY what an angel!!!!!!!! ........That bleak period of time /history, where the Government abandoned hundreds of thousands of its own people (and most likely it will NOT be the Last time) will forever remain a pox on humanity, But the people who did SOMETHING, like Larry Kramer and his ACT UP activists will Always be remembered as the VOICE for the people who are incorrectly perceived as a disposable and marginalized segment of humanity. Thank God for All the Larry Kramers in this world!!!!!!!! ......
It is sad and embarrasing that any part of humanity is ever marginalized or brutalized, especially by its own human Government........

(Brings to mind that our U.S. Government is currently taking babies and children and putting them into cages!!!! Sorry Sorry Sorry!! No politics....i know!....but those babies/children have NO voice!!!!!)
Thanks again Stevendabudgie.....those links help provide me with a little more enlightenment and a little less ignorance!

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration Thor and Lee (& actual birthdays) and thanks for the stories and the interview link. I only had chance to watch two or three minutes this morning, but I look forward to watching the rest.