Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thanks for the interview link goes to hyginasmile...All I did was post it for her.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy birthday Lee and Thor, I hope you have had a great day xxx

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thank you for the link hyginasmile.....I am especially fond of Dave Richards ...RIP ...

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 19, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee-

There's something about a man with a silver beard..I think the term is "silver fox" nowadays!

I'm glad you two had a smashing birthday celebration. We're all glad you're still here with us too.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Doughnut, I didn't realize Dave Richards had died. I always enjoyed seeing bits of him in interviews or documentaries. He seemed to get suck a kick out of Freddie.

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 544 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 02:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor...

Thank you for passing along that link from hyginasmile. That is now one of my favorite interviews. As I listened to the three men speak, all I could think of was what a beautiful soul Freddie was…to have met him even once would have been such a privilege.

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

Loved the background info behind the group "tobogganing" photo...you all looked so carefree and happy. It whets my appetite for the other great stories you and Thor will be sharing in the book!

I have a question for you that I think got "buried" a long time ago during an especially active QZ time...Have you always been interested in photography and doing slide shows? When you mentioned perfecting the slide show to tape, I assume you mean music...if so, do you recall what music you used? Was also wondering if you had looked at your Freddie slides between the last time you saw him at Garden Lodge and when you began selecting photos for the book? I imagine the selection process must have been quite bittersweet at times.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, I went back through several pages but can't find the post where you mentioned touring with a Broadway show. Was it "1776"? Can you share a bit more about that period of your life? If I'm too far into your business, ignore me.

Another quick question. Earlier in an answer to Rainbow , you mentioned sitting with Peter and playing the piano. I didn't realize he played. Did he ever play in front of Freddie that you know of? Maybe for those famous sing-a-longs at Garden Lodge? Were you guys ever a part of those?

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Blenkolove

Is there not a term like "holy Fury"?

My impression is there were so many vibrant, gifted, charismatic and unique individuals in ACT UP, great writers, speakers and artists that did not make it (insertions like "died 1992", 1956- 1989)".
Some of them were veterans from the gay rights and even peace movements of the 1960s and 1970s
I have NOT seen this documentary, but it might be worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfETjT1YRRA

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Stevendabudgie!!
Just for your info...that link is for the Trailer for the Vito Russo documentary. I wasn't able to find the actual documentary on YT...but it's an HBO production so it's most likely on Netflix. I will see if I can find it this weekend....it looks very interesting!!!Thanks for the lead!!
Ttys
Blenkolove.....aka hyginasmile!

thundergod

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you all for the great birthday wishes you've sent to us!!
I think I am still hung-over...lol

By the way, please send your thanks to hyginasmile. She's the one who sent me the touching Mike Moran et.al. clip to share with everyone here. She asked me to post it for her.

Off to New York tomorrow. I hope the weather is not TOO cold, it was 75 to 78 degrees in Palm Springs.
My PC is still behaving badly, but the last day at Lee's house, I was able to copy ALL of my files on to one incredible Sandisc - with about a billion or so, gigabytes! Amazing to hold the entire contents of about 3 or 4 years of my computer's file in one finger-sized, light-weight piece of plastic.

thundergod

Posted: 12 Mar 19, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, now I see you already thanked hyginasmile. Thanks.

Posted: 13 Mar 19, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Happy birthday! (a day early). So you are flying out on your birthday? Have a fantastic trip and enjoy all the grand St. Patrick's Day festivities.

I hope your family makes you a pineapple upside down cake for your birthday celebration...even though you don't want them to do anything! :)

stevendabudgie

Posted: 13 Mar 19, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Blenkolove

If you don´t find "Vito":

"How to Survive a Plague" is highly recommendable. It focuses on a handful of ACT UP activists (not on Kramer) who were crucial in the development of combination therapy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eaAKnNGUPs

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1047 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 19, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor have a nice trip enjoy time with family and friends dont drink too much drink one for me I cant drink with meds I'm on.Just think about me when your having fun I have to set and take these ivig infusions for 5 days not fun but always could be worse glad to see you be able to get away for awhile and enjoy yourself tell Lee happy b day I didnt forget him.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 19, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Birthday wishes to Thor and Lee. Many Happy Returns, boys! :-) :-)

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 19, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stevendabudgie

Posted: 13 Mar 19, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Birthdaywishes to Thor and Lee!

http://www.wellensittiche-foren.de/wcf/images/smilies/welligeburtstag002.gif

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 19, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 15 Mar 19, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all, I have attached a link for a great interview on Freddie by Rudi Dolezal. Enjoy

http://povmagazine.com/articles/view/rudi-dolezal-freddie-mercury-queen-bohemian-rhapsody?fbclid=IwAR2iWUpxUA_Kqbx73F8LPW6kceb9y1Np8L89-pK3IxNWz5mbxaiH4GmJSP0