Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 19, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all, I have attached a link for a great interview on Freddie by Rudi Dolezal. Enjoy

http://povmagazine.com/articles/view/rudi-dolezal-freddie-mercury-queen-bohemian-rhapsody?fbclid=IwAR2iWUpxUA_Kqbx73F8LPW6kceb9y1Np8L89-pK3IxNWz5mbxaiH4GmJSP0

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 19, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the link Doughnut! Interesting article. I've always liked Rudi.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 19, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another video about the AIDS epidemic- according to the discription, it " is comprised of interview outtakes from the documentary motion picture VITO, about gay activist and film historian Vito Russo."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtKbMnC--ZQ

This channel also has some original episodes from "Vito Russo´s Our Time"
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0JbCodfUB2sTD5ZZZmCxGbzWlTGxXFt4

@NeverTooLate

As mentioned in How to Survive a Plague", many activists who who got diagnosed in the 1980s and survived long enough to see the introduction of cocktail treatments fell in some sort of crisis, even to the point of severe depression. Not only did they have survivor´s guilt, but also difficulties in finding new purpose in life

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-voelcker/spencer-cox-death_b_2425635.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/fashion/what-really-killed-spencer-cox-aids-activist.html

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 19, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

katydyd5 I too have always liked Rudi , he seems a lovely guy.

Also sadly David Richards died in 2013 , he was only 57 . He seemed such a lovely, gentle man.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 19, 05:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Lee, Thor – and others on the thread! Thor, I almost forgot to mention, if he’s working tonight, please give barman Gary a couple of platonic smooches on the cheek from me and my friend. We adored him! He was so sweet and welcoming to us, the only straight gals in the house one night earlier in the month. I had ordered a vodka tonic in honor of Freddie (Sorry, I don’t like beer.). It was cool to be able to visit one of Freddie’s old haunts in the West Village, where “Mother” and his “NY Daughters” used to hang and chill.

Posted: 17 Mar 19, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T., that's so cool that you visited one of Freddie's old haunts! Thor, I know how much you enjoy St. Paddy's Day in NY...…...and all the uniforms!! Happy St. Patrick's to you and all the other QZ posters!

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 19, 05:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@stevendabudgie, I got done watching the 2-hour documentary "How to Survive a Plague" for the 1st time. I hadn't heard of it prior. Wow, an absolute wow! I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed emotionally for the moment. I may comment @ a later date. It should be viewed by today's Millennials, who take HIV/AIDS treatment for granted. Thanks for the share.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 19, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I watched "How to Survive a Plague" about a month ago (very moving) and then watched the San Francisco version released earlier in 2010, "We Were Here." Highly recommend both.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 19 Mar 19, 01:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all,
I left New York City yesterday evening the 17th (St. Patrick's Day was celebrated on Mar.16th this year due to the 17th being on a Sunday). Apparently, no reveling on a Church day. I am now at my sister's house on Long Island.

The parade was a lot of fun and I met many wonderful people from Ireland there and especially then again at the pubs!

Katydyd, how did you know I love those uniformed Irish men...hehehe...I sure do.

Funny story: One Irish Police Officer in uniform enjoyed our conversation and joking so much that he gave me a golden button right off of his uniform. These buttons are usually reserved for the ladies, but I managed to get one. Of course, he loved my name and introduced me to all of his police friends who were equally handsome and friendly young men...Needless to say, I was in heaven...LOL.

Prior to this day, I introduced three non-Irish (lol) friends to my favorite West Village Restaurant that I sent Jo T to last week. I had discovered it originally and randomly when I met our own Robby Bloodshed in New York for dinner last year! I love it there and the French staff and French owner of this Italian Restaurant always treat me like gold.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 19 Mar 19, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut,

That link was great. I've loved the work Rudi did with Freddie and the band, but I did not know that Rudi was the journalist for the famous "I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear" interview.

Posted: 19 Mar 19, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevendabudgie, the documentary How To Survive a Plague was harrowing, but I thank you for sharing it. I was raising my kids in the early 80's, and while I was certainly aware of HIV/AIDS, I had limited knowledge. This piece opened my eyes, especially to the plight of those who survived. I'll never be able to fully imagine the fear, rage and solidarity of those times, but this was so educational.

Posted: 19 Mar 19, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, you have so much fun in NY on St. Patrick's Day! What a party that must be. I'll bet your name opens many conversations! I always think of the documentary where Trip K mentions meeting you, saying you introduced yourself by saying, "Hi. I'm Thor" , and then he mimed looking up at you and thinking, "I'll bet you are!".

stevendabudgie

Posted: 19 Mar 19, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Blenkolove

I watched "The Normal Heart" (German dubbed version ,with bad sound qualit).. Many elements of Kramer´s biography are weaved into the plot. It´s a really good movie with many emotional moments, especially towards the end.

Posted: 20 Mar 19, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5,

Which documentary is that in ?

Posted: 20 Mar 19, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Have you read the book written by Peter "Ratty" Hince? He mentions you by name in the book as the clear leader of Freddie's new New York friends.

Posted: 20 Mar 19, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddienotFreddy, I was so afraid someone would ask me for the name of the documentary. I'm not sure and I have so many documentaries saved in my files, it would take me ages to find it. Can anyone help? It's the documentary where Trip Kaluf mentions Thor.

stevendabudgie

Posted: 20 Mar 19, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn´t it "Freddie Mercury- Freddie´s Loves"?

stevendabudgie

Posted: 20 Mar 19, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn´t it "Freddie Mercury- Freddie´s Loves"?

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 19, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure but I'm certain the interview is sampled in the BBC 4 documentary Freddie"s Millions (warning I personally loathe the presenters attitude! He seems very dismissive and crass to me!)

The document is available in 2 parts on YouTube

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 19, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure but I'm certain the interview is sampled in the BBC 4 documentary Freddie"s Millions (warning I personally loathe the presenters attitude! He seems very dismissive and crass to me!)

The document is available in 2 parts on YouTube

P.S. I'm hugging my Freddie Wembley '86 Dolly! Love him!??