Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 942 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut I definetly will watch out I think I know who you are talking about she called phoebe names too I blocked her she claimed to me she was in law enforcement.She also told me she was there at Freddie's house when he died and Mary was taking care of him not phoebe Jim or joe.I knew then she was nuts just block her.I hope she dosnt find her way here.I will try to be civil but I will go off on her.

EmeraldBarSweeper user not visiting Queenzone.com
EmeraldBarSweeper
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello, All!

This is my first post on the forum, but I’ve been reading this thread for months (as well as the previous one).

I’m finally on Spring Break (I teach 2nd graders), so I thought I’d post and introduce myself.

I recently became a Queen fan after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody for the second time, but I was married to a huge Queen fan for 13 years. Fortunately, we are still very close as I’ve been bugging him ever since with questions and trivia about the band ever since.

I’ve always enjoyed Queen’s music. I remember watching Live Aid at home when I was 15 and was amazed by how good Queen’s performance was. After hearing Freddie speak and thinking, “I didn’t realize they were British”.

I’ve read at least 10 books about Freddie since then and have seen every interview/performance I could find on YouTube. Freddie seemed like such an amazing human being in so many ways.

I love hearing from Thor and Lee. I can’t wait for the book! I have a few questions that I haven’t seen answered here (forgive me if I’ve overlooked them).

1. Did you ever see Freddie cry? I know Phoebe said that he hadn’t.

2. Did you ever play table tennis against Freddie? I’ve read that he was unbeatable.

Thanks for your time. Happy belated birthday, Thor and Lee!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN...
Reminder - we use ignore and isolate here. Please don't even engage them, not even once.

thundergod

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome EmeraldBarSweeper!
Thanks for coming out of the shadows. You input here is very important to us, but only if you feel like writing to us.

I have never seen Freddie cry. He never dwelled on anything negative and could make an otherwise sad story or feeling into a happy, exciting one. Take crazy Bill Reid for example...he could turn a majorly wrecked hotel room fight into a proud moment. You'll see the photo regarding this event in the book.

thundergod

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never even knew that Freddie liked table tennis. Lee might remember something. I do think I saw a table tennis setup in the garden...but it is not a clear memory for me.

EmeraldBarSweeper user not visiting Queenzone.com
EmeraldBarSweeper
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Thor!

I wasn’t expecting such a speedy reply, but I’m appreciative.

Apparently, Freddie was a school table tennis champion and even played band members and others with his right hand behind his back because he was so good. And he still always won!

I love reading about your memories of Freddie. It doesn’t seem like it’s been 27 years since he left us. What a horrible loss.

I lost my uncle to AIDS in 1986. Sadly, I never knew him as my family was very religious and disapproved of his lifestyle so much that he was never able to visit (he lived in San Francisco and we’re on the east coast). That is one of the reasons why I am turned off by religion, but that’s a whole other topic...

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I wont do anything to disrespect this thread but these folks seriously have some pain that needs therapy of some sort or a padded cell because they can turn a beautiful thing into a an ugly thing and anything that represents Freddie from what I have read is loving fun peaceful and just a joy to be around.

NeverTooLate user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Your description of coping with the loss of your wonderful friend and putting some barriers up in the initial years to be able to move on, really resonated. The ying/yang pull of wanting to keep him in your life and at the same time needing to numb the pain/hurt/loss and forgetting for awhile is well-stated.

I'm so glad you've rediscovered aspects of your friendship with Freddie in your dreams and feel him in your lives even today. I'd like to believe he is still around all of those he loved while he shared this earth dimension, encouraging and inspiring each in his unique way.

Something I found comforting when I read Hutton's book was how he described Freddie looking not merely at peace in death, but "radiant and ecstatic." A good exit when the time comes is what I think we all wish for -- especially so for a loved one. No one wants any loved one to linger in pain or despair, and when they can't be healed then a peaceful journey out of a body that is no longer healthy or habitable is a sacred blessing in the end. Love continues, grows and transcends, for energy cannot be destroyed, merely transformed.

Posted: 30 Mar 19, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But I think even in someones sickness as soon as they pass you will look at them and they no longer look sick anymore my uncle died with same thing as Freddie he was over 6 foot tall his body looked like it had skin stretched over bones but after he died he looked so good like my uncle again maybe that was my mind playing tricks on me.But he definitely had a different look to him after he passed.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, you guys have been busy today! There are several things I'd like to comment on.

First, Thor, thanks so much for your heartfelt post about your feelings after Freddie died. It touched me that we have been able to be a part of your healing. This is the only thread I read on QZ because it is usually so kind and welcoming. I feel like I am coming to a group of friends where I can openly talk about someone I love and admire . Thor, you and Lee have created a safe place for all of us.

Most of us who post on this thread make a great effort to be open to all of the people Freddie held dear in his life. Mary and Jim are both polarizing figures but we are able to keep it civil out of respect for Freddie.

I have made some friends here who I enjoy immensely. I believe Thor and Lee made that possible.

Thanks guys!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whoops, sent that last post before I was finished.

I think Freddie was beautiful in all of his incarnations, but I have to admit that I liked the mustache period best. You could really see his face and bone structure. I also liked the clean shaven look that came after, though I am aware if was for a sadder purpose. The early years were fun! He could pull off any look he wanted. There was only one look that I didn't like and I'm not sure I can even describe it. His hair was very styled, brushed completely back from his face in almost a pageboy look. Luckily that one was short-lived. Oh, and the short, curly Crazy Little Thing Called Love look was super sexy.

Emerald, welcome! I taught 2nd grade for most of my career. Old enough to be able to do some wonderful things, but young enough that they still hadn't developed attitude.

I had read that Freddie perfected his table tennis as a young boy on the long trips by sea to the boarding school. Apparently there was a table on board ship and they passed the time playing. I think Brian said that he was unbeatable in later years. I had also heard the story of him playing with his right hand behind his back. Was there a table in one of the backstage scenes in the Bo Rhap movie? I could be wrong, but if so, it would have been a nod to that part of his life.

NeverTooLate, your posts are always so articulate. Everything you said about Thor's post was so well said. I often am thinking the same things, but am not so finessed. I'm curious, is writing part of your career?

Ok, now I think I am finished. I get the feeling that Lee takes notes as he reads when he stops by so that he can answer everything at once. I should pick up that technique so that I can get it all in one post.

thundergod

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 00:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd,
You took the words out of my mouth. I too am way impressed with NeverTooLate's writing skills. I read her reply three times over because it flowed so beautifully. I wish I had that skill. Maybe the book would have been picked up already if Lee and I could write that eloquently...just kidding of course. The book has to be in our own writing styles to maintain its authenticity.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[Dramatic Voice] Where is Lee? What have you people done with Lee?! [Exit stage left]

thundergod

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, that old lazy good for nothing so and so... Just Kidding...he is at work right now. I will be visiting him again on April 6th for a few days of work and play.
I will tell him you all miss him and try to get him to make an appearance.

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 04:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, thank you for the nice compliment! Yes writing has been an important skill in my career. All business-oriented, marketing, and sometimes technical, depending on the various jobs I held.

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Thank you for that beautiful and personal recollection of how you dealt with such a devastating loss. The golden thread interwoven throughout the stories you and Lee share is the respect and love you both had for Freddie…it shines through every time. I know your book will be a loving tribute to a person that we all treasure, but for whom you were lucky enough to call a dear friend. I only hope that when I get my copy in the mail that it arrives on a weekend because I’m sure I will want to read it in one sitting...no matter how late I have to stay up!!!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Emerald,

I was a 3rd grade teacher for most of my career. Our spring break was always in the middle of April...but that is because we had a mid-winter vacation in February.

This is a great community of Queen fans. We certainly differ in background and life experience and yes, sometimes points of view.. but that is what makes the conversations interesting. I have learned so much from the people here.

Thor...I looked back at your first post. I almost does not seem possible it will be 2 years this summer that you first made your presence known. Wow...I bet you didn't anticipate this outcome when you first introduced yourself. The unexpected directions life takes us....

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

I'm glad your FreddienotFreddy is fairing well and I wish him continued recovery.

I remember Phoebe telling a story (on his blog I believe) about Freddie receiving an award that had his name spelled as Freddy and him telling Phoebe he could have it because he (Freddie) didn't know who "Freddy Mercury" was.

Speaking of our favorite Freddie looks, I think he was his most beautiful around The Works/Live Aid era. My second favorite is between 1977-79, when his hair is getting shorter every year, but he hasn't grown the mustache yet. I think he absolutely adorable in those couple years before he went full sexy with the mustache in 1980.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 19, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you so much for your honest and heartfelt reply Thor. Time is a great healer; I am so happy that you have found this group of lovely people and are happy to share your memories with us.
Never before have I become so interested in a person in the public eye; I have been surprised at my own emotions, 27 years after his death and I found myself greiving because he was was one of a kind. There hasn't been anyone like Freddie since.

My favourite Freddie look starated from the period where he cut his hair shorter and grew the moustache, I preferred Freddie with a moustache which is funny in a way as I have read that this look didn't go down very well with some fans . I think that Freddie looked awsome during the Magic Tour.

What intrigues me is Freddie's change of style in the years after the Magic Tour . You will notice in videos and photos floating around that he started to dress more formal in smart trousers , shirt and tie. I have seen him say in a few interviews that he felt he wouldn't always be able to run around the stage in tights etc.

Thor/Lee did you notice a difference in Freddie after the Magic Tour but before he was diagnosed compared to your new york days?

:)